Windows 10: Windows 10 thinks old monitor is still attached

Discus and support Windows 10 thinks old monitor is still attached in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a dual monitor setup. Originally, I had a Samsung 32" UJ59 monitor and a Dell 24" S2409W monitor. This configuration worked fine but I decided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by strollin, Feb 23, 2021.

1. strollin Win User

Windows 10 thinks old monitor is still attached

I have a dual monitor setup. Originally, I had a Samsung 32" UJ59 monitor and a Dell 24" S2409W monitor. This configuration worked fine but I decided to upgrade to have matching 32" monitors.

After removing the Dell 24" and attaching the 2nd Samsung 32", the system still insists the 2nd monitor is the Dell 24" and absolutely refuses to recognize that the 2nd monitor is now the 32" Samsung. Consequently, I cannot set the monitor to it's native resolution of 3840x2160, I am not able to set the resolution higher than 1920x1080 which was the native resolution of the Dell 24" monitor.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the both the display adapter and monitor from device manager. I've tried different cables and a different display adapter but still the machine thinks the 2nd monitor is the Dell. I uninstalled and reinstalled the display adapter driver as well as the monitor driver. I even tried to use the Radeon software to create a custom resolution but it refuses with a message saying that the resolution isn't compatible with the monitor (it also insists the 2nd monitor is the Dell).

Here's the specs for this machine:
    ASRock B365 Pro4 Motherboard
    Core i5 8600K @3.6Ghz
    8GB RAM
    Radeon 7750 GPU
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (20H2)

Any suggestions for how I can get the machine to realize that the Dell 24" is no longer attached?

:)

strollin, Feb 23, 2021

2. Windows 10 refuses to boot without the old monitor.

Hi,

To address your issue with connecting a new monitor, please perform these steps:

• Plug in the old monitor.
    • Uninstall the video driver, go to Device Manager > right-click on the video driver >
      Uninstall.
    • Unplug the old monitor, then connect the new one.
    • Turn on the computer, and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.
    Update us on the result.

Rachelle Gra, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Club

Windows 10 thinks old monitor is still attached windows-10-build-9926-png.png

So I've tried the Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview Build 9926,... So far so good i like it, it appears to already have DX12.

At list i have an old Laptop to test it on,.. it's good so far and i highly think I'll be upgrading to it day on of release.

dxdiag screen above

Protagonist, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 thinks old monitor is still attached - Similar Threads - thinks old monitor

2. Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.: Hello,I moved to another province Here in Canada two years ago, and I bought a new laptop. However, I didn't change my address Until today because I haven't been using it that much on the Microsoft website.I am trying to book an appointment for my mother and this site wants...
  3. Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows still thinks that I live at my old address.: Hello,I moved to another province Here in Canada two years ago, and I bought a new laptop. However, I didn't change my address Until today because I haven't been using it that much on the Microsoft website.I am trying to book an appointment for my mother and this site wants...
  4. Windows 10 still thinks bluetooth is installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 still thinks bluetooth is installed: Hello,One day my bluetooth stopped working. Windows was showing that everything was alright but my bluetooth devices would not longer connect to my PC. I tried completely uninstalling all bluetooth drivers and devices using the device manager. I was surprised to see the...
  5. Windows 10 still thinks bluetooth is installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 still thinks bluetooth is installed: Hello,One day my bluetooth stopped working. Windows was showing that everything was alright but my bluetooth devices would not longer connect to my PC. I tried completely uninstalling all bluetooth drivers and devices using the device manager. I was surprised to see the...
  6. Windows 10 still thinks bluetooth is installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows still thinks it’s on my old laptop: I had a problem with my PC where I couldn’t install windows onto any of my hard drives because they didn’t match the format of my USB boot drive. So I did a clean install of windows on my laptop SSD, with WiFi disables so it wouldn’t download any laptop drivers, then I...
  8. Windows still thinks I have my old video card.

Windows still thinks I have my old video card.: Windows update still gets updates for my old XFX AMD card. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-still-thinks-i-have-my-old-video-card/84554497-701b-4e47-ad7b-e5f10d2c61d3
  9. Windows 10 thinks my monitor is a 2nd monitor.

Windows 10 thinks my monitor is a 2nd monitor.: Sometimes after a power outtage or when my computer updates, my monitor will just go black after I boot up my computer. I've done multiple things to solve this in the past like unplug my monitor reboot and re-plug which worked last time as well as run it through BiOS. But...
  10. Migrated to SSD - Windows thinks old HDD is still there!

Migrated to SSD - Windows thinks old HDD is still there!: So, migrated to Crucial SSD in wife's laptop, no problem. Boots in seconds - however when starting system restore, it thinks the old HDD is also still there. It is in configure, the new SSD is there fine, but it also shows the old HDD. I try to delete system restore on...