Windows 10: Windows 10 Threshold 2 rumored to launch in November

Discus and support Windows 10 Threshold 2 rumored to launch in November in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; That may happen with future purchases. I was talking about this first wave of upgraders. We will never have to pay a subscription as long as we still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Threshold 2 rumored to launch in November

Yes, the free upgrade is free for the life of the device.

alphanumeric, Sep 13, 2015

2. IMHO, I don't think that will happen. What I can see happening is Windows outgrowing your current device. Upgrades to the OS will be offered but your device won't have the hardware to support them. To get them you'll have to buy a new device. Saying device is easier than saying laptop, tablet, desktop, phone, IoT etc. *Wink

alphanumeric, Sep 13, 2015
  3. Microsoft has apparently really expanded support. Support for the Get Windows 10 upgrades isn't distinguishing between OEM upgraders and retail upgraders with regards to the qualifying licenses. It doesn't matter that an upgrader is qualifying with an OEM copy of Windows 7 or 8. This is a bit new. In the past an OEM license had to be supported by the OEM and Microsoft support would tell a user to contact the OEM.

Maybe there is a change coming in a few years in how support for OEM copies are handled. Just a wild, speculative scenario (so don't reply with the usual "It'll never happen), but suppose OEM machines ship with a trial copy of Windows and the user chooses whether to add the computer to his Windows 365 account (for free), subscribe to Window 365 and add other devices, or purchase a single Windows license (maybe even at the OEM's website with the OEM getting a commision out of it). That is a scenario with lots of new possibilities.

I'm just trying to get the creative thinking going on the Windows 365 concept.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 13, 2015
  4. Dch48 Win User

Windows 10 Threshold 2 rumored to launch in November

That was exactly what I meant.

Dch48, Sep 13, 2015
  5. fredc Win User
    Win 10's appeal is that it seems to work well even on older hardware from the start , if people think MS will soon release upgrades that will be too much for their current machines it's going to be a huge mistake .

Someone mentioned that depending on how many switch to Win 10, that may determine how long Win 7 will be supported due to saving money by not offering support , i hope not .

If they skip out on the 2020 extended security support date for Win 7 it's going to get really ugly lol.

fredc, Sep 13, 2015
  6. Microsoft won't alter the lifecycle parameters for Windows 7 or 8, and the lifecycle listed for 10 is the same, in spite of "support for the life of the device." But I think they may assume responsibility for support for OEM copies if they continue to be a bit unhappy about the current quality of support from some of the OEMs. The one thing Microsoft has been big about is the support network for Windows and other products. If they do, the money to pay for support will have to come from someplace and that is what bears watching.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 13, 2015
  7. caperjack Win User
    and those days will get better when they are grown and gone ,, just ask my Dad,,i officially moved out when I was 32 ,lol

caperjack, Sep 13, 2015
  8. caperjack Win User

and that's what Apple does, Microsoft is copying them, it works for Apple why not Microsoft

caperjack, Sep 13, 2015
  9. Mine were ready to move out when I was 32. *Wink

Cbarnhorst, Sep 13, 2015
  10. fredc Win User
    Appreciate your viewpoint , thanks.

fredc, Sep 13, 2015
  11. caperjack Win User
    lol

caperjack, Sep 13, 2015
  12. Winuser Win User
    I still can't see a retail version of Windows 10 getting free upgrades forever. I guess I don't have as much trust in MS as other people do.

Winuser, Sep 13, 2015
  13. Winuser Win User

You must of had a very early start. *Smile

Winuser, Sep 13, 2015
  14. No, just precocious kids.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 13, 2015
  15. larc919 Win User
    I think things such as major fixes will continue to be free. But I could see Microsoft not making a lot of new features available that way, but making more attractive ones optional and charging for them. Upgrades necessary to accommodate those new features will probably be free.

larc919, Sep 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Threshold 2 rumored to launch in November - Similar Threads - Threshold rumored launch

2. Windows 10 enterprise Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 enterprise Threshold 2: When are we enterprise users going to receive the update? Thanks. 29728
  3. Windows 10 Threshold 2

Windows 10 Threshold 2: Should I update first to build 10240 or wait till November? Also, will the Media Creation Tool update itself directly to the new build? Insiders, what is new in this update apart from UI changes? 27347
  4. Threshold 2 question

Threshold 2 question: I have Windows 10 professional. Unfortunately all this fast/slow ring , insider stuff is a tad confusing. On my machine I ticked defer updates as I don't want to be a beta tester/Guinea pig for any old release that comes down the pipe. But obviously I wonder about threshold 2...
  5. Threshold 2 destroys bcd

Threshold 2 destroys bcd: I was not getting the update thru the reg windows update so I decided to do a manual update to win 10 with the lastest ms tool. It actually was successful. When it completed I was able to use Windows normally and it was updated to threshold 2. However when i reboot I get a...
  6. Upgrade to Windows 10 1151/10586/threshold 2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Windows 10 1151/10586/threshold 2: Hi everybody , so I got this upgrade via windows update but it's taking too long , it's stuck at 33 percent , so my question is can I download it using Windows media creation tool & do a clean install through usb? I read that Microsoft pulled out it's new update via media...
  7. Windows 10 Threshold 2 (November Update) Installation Problems

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Threshold 2 (November Update) Installation Problems: [img] Users report installation freezes for the new update Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 Threshold 2 earlier today and users are already experiencing the first problems when trying to install it. According to posts on Microsoft's Community forums, installation...
  8. Windows 10 Build 10586 Launches as Threshold 2

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 10586 Launches as Threshold 2: RTM users are expected to receive it next week Microsoft has remained completely tight-lipped on Windows 10 Threshold 2, but according to people close to the matter, this eagerly anticipated update is due next week for RTM users. The latest preview build that...
  9. Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2: Threshold 2 has re-enabled superfetch on my PC (only SSD's on my system). I have waited over a week, run Winsat formal, etc. but superfetch remains on. Has anyone experienced this? Before I manually disable the service I would welcome any suggestions etc. PS: the...
  10. Google Chrome Issues in Windows 10 Threshold 2

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome Issues in Windows 10 Threshold 2: [img] Google’s browser experiencing problems in TH2 Windows 10 Threshold 2 build 10586 is now available for both fast and slow ring users, but despite the fact that it’s supposed to be the version that all users will get sometime very soon, it turns out that a...