Windows 10: Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders

Discus and support Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Constantly, over multiple installations, I've been having issues with the loading of thumbnails, so much so that I've just come to the conclusion that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AshenPaladin, May 14, 2020.

1. Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders

Constantly, over multiple installations, I've been having issues with the loading of thumbnails, so much so that I've just come to the conclusion that it's a standard issue with Windows 10. Several times a day, whenever I open my download folder or other picture folders, Windows reloads the thumbnails, which makes my attempts to locate the files I need slower. I just assumed that it was because of how large the folders are, and I gave up on it, but for a while, I've been having issues with an even smaller folder.
    I have like 15 games on my computer, installed on both drives, and I have shortcuts to them on the desktop, but in order to keep it uncluttered, I keep them all in a folder. Several times a day, as I open the folder to play one of the games, Windows reloads the icons. Some reload instantly, but others take a few good seconds to reload.

It's not a major issue obviously, but seeing the icons reload several times has just become frustrating. I have two SSD's so speed shouldn't be an issue, and I've never faced any such issues on my Mac laptop or when using Linux. I tried all the possible fixes that I could find on the internet - from messing with the permissions that the system has on the Explorer folder, to registry hacks that were supposed to stop Windows from deleting the thumbnail cache and increasing the size of said cache. I changed the Windows Search settings several times and also reindexed all of my files - and all for nothing.

Is there any way to possibly deal with this? Thank you very much for any help!

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.836

:)

AshenPaladin, May 14, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

Hi, have you done any research on this? A general search for
    thumbnails load slowly
    suggests e.g.
    How to Speed Up a Windows Folder that Loads Very Slowly

But there are so many factors: how large a file is each image: where are the files located: what is the speed of access to that location: what else is the PC doing at the same time..... (check your task manager).

Another angle:
    When Windows 10 thumbnails seem to be missing or slow to load, try this | PCWorld

Please also feel free to search the forum.

Note: forum rules prohibit thread bumping... thanks.

dalchina, May 14, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 14, 2020
  4. Senn_ Win User

Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders

Folder Thumbnails not loading

So my folder thumbnails dont load and i see this instead of some of the pictures that are in the folder i see this
    Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders 436f4a42-e6b4-40b0-bb19-81b852a0ce2f?upload=true.png

i did disk cleanup for thumbnails restarted my pc and then i could see the thumbnails in This Pc > Pictures but the subfolders still dont load but other files in there do load like this
    Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders 1a8321e6-ed05-4942-9c22-91645f55b6c9?upload=true.png
    This only happends in This PC > Pictures and not in for example This PC > Documents

I have windows 10 (not activated)

Senn_, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders

1. Windows 10 -Thumbnails and shortcuts loading slowly in folders - Similar Threads - Thumbnails shortcuts loading

2. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  3. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.: Imagine the following:You have a superfast PC with fresh M.2 drives. Every time you access a folder, you get a slow green explorer bar on top. It does not matter how many pictures or thumbnails there are in the folder, that green bar always appears. Go to Reddit and Quora;...
  4. Slow green progress bar windows 10. Explorer loading thumbnails slowly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HEIC files thumbnails loads slowly in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HEIC files thumbnails loads slowly in File Explorer: HEIC file thumbnails load slowly. Every time I open a folder, they pop up sequentially and often times this takes a while and can be frustrating when trying to move quickly through folders. I work around this by changing the folders setting to details only. The drawback is I...
  6. HEIC files thumbnails loads slowly in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEIC files thumbnails loads slowly in File Explorer: HEIC file thumbnails load slowly. Every time I open a folder, they pop up sequentially and often times this takes a while and can be frustrating when trying to move quickly through folders. I work around this by changing the folders setting to details only. The drawback is I...
  7. HEIC files thumbnails loads slowly in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Folder Thumbnails not loading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Thumbnails not loading: So my folder thumbnails dont load and i see this instead of some of the pictures that are in the folder i see this [ATTACH] i did disk cleanup for thumbnails restarted my pc and then i could see the thumbnails in This Pc > Pictures but the subfolders still dont load but...
  9. Bing Loads Slowly On Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Bing Loads Slowly On Windows 10: So yeah, I know this sounds weird or not accurate but Bing loads slowly on my windows 10 machine (slow on both IE and Edge). Loads quickly on both my Windows 7 and 8.1 machines. I first noticed this after the most recent windows 10 update. FYI, all other sites load quickly on...
  10. Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails load slowly in Explorer: I'd like them to load faster, what can I do? I've tried this but it didn't help. 66519