Windows 10: Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system

Discus and support Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I'm sure I haven't added any extra software - but Windows 10 TO GO version seems to handle READ and WRITE to a LINUX EXT3/4 File system. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Dec 22, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system

Hi there

I'm sure I haven't added any extra software - but Windows 10 TO GO version seems to handle READ and WRITE to a LINUX EXT3/4 File system. I know Linux can handle Windows file systems but this is the first time where I've seen WINDOWS handling a LINUX file system Natively. I certainly haven't added any extra software on the Linux to Go system.

(Windows 10 Enterprise to Go is my HOST machine).

I can access all my files on this disk which is a /HOME on a Linux system.

The Windows to Go is booted up from an external SSD via a USB==>SATA connector.

Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system [​IMG]

Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 22, 2014
  2. knuthf Win User

N900 Internal Memory Corrupted

No, download the application "TestDisk" and try to recover the MMC.

The MMC should be formatted at "ext3" file system - with journal and everything - not Windows FAT or Symbian, but full journalled file system like hfs+ of MacOS. You will then need a Laptop with e.g. Ubuntu Linux to read the card when inserting this on your
    laptop.

If the MyDocs / /media/mmc1 - that fails, you have to recover using the boot menu - to receover, the files must be unmounted. Your loose your Memory Card (up to 32GB), can be fixed while the rest of the phone is running. Search the net for "chkdsk" and "ext3"
    (chkdsk.ext3).

The "ext3" file system is an excellent choice. It is robust, fast and reliable file system. TestDisk will show that the "rootfs: is FAT - same as Windows.

knuthf, Dec 22, 2014
  3. Dual boot SSD, Windows 10, kali linux 3

Could you try booting into Windows 10

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Right click the partition you created for Kali

Click Delete

Leave it as unallocated

Boot from the Kali install media then try select it again.

You can also download Easeus and format the partition in advance from within Windows using the EXT3 file system:

https://www.partition-tool.com/resource/how-to-...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 22, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Now that really is a nice addition to Windows, IMO. And it's about time.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 22, 2014
  5. It could be very handy.
    I often forget to copy files from my Linux partitions over to my Windows ones.

Strange that it hasn't been mentioned as a W10 feature. *Confused

lehnerus2000, Dec 23, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I only noticed it by accident -- I was running a Windows to Go system from an external USB on a laptop which had a Linux system on its internal SSD (OPENSUSE 13.2 where I used the older EXT3/4 file system not the new(er) BTRF system - you can select at install time),

On Computer properties I noticed that I had a C and an F drive -- and I hadn't plugged in any other device like USB stick. So the Windows to Go was reading my internal Linux disk on the laptop !!.

I certainly can't remember installing any special programs on the windows to go system.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 23, 2014
  7. You use the W10 Enterprise version, don't you?

Maybe it is a feature that is only in the W10 Enterprise version.
    It would make sense to for the W10 Enterprise version have it. *Nerd

lehnerus2000, Dec 23, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Enterprise is the only one that supports Windows to Go -- that's the version I have with 9879 build upgrade.

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 23, 2014
  9. I thought that was the case. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Dec 24, 2014
  10. Yeah, you'll only get the official Windows To Go utility in the Enterprise version and it will only let you use an Enterprise ISO to build the Windows To Go drive.

Interesting that it showed those other native drives. Normally it hides the native Windows drives on the host PC. They don't get drive letters assigned "by design". I guess that's so you don't accidentally mess up the OS on the host PC. It just means an extra step or two if your trying to recover files etc. I think It's the same deal if you plug the Windows To Go thumb drive in without booting from it. It won't get a drive letter and doesn't show up in explorer.

alphanumeric, Dec 25, 2014
  11. @jimbo45
    Have you checked what Disk Management says?
    Can you create EXT partitions?

lehnerus2000, Dec 26, 2014
  12. What kernel is on the stick? I haven't played with WinToGo - so I wonder ....

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system - Similar Threads - handles LINUX EXT3

2. system thread exception not handled windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system thread exception not handled windows 10: Hello! I've bad to BSOD, the first one I didn't see since I was focused on something else, and the second one was system thread exception not handled! From what I read, it can be a driver or a ram problem so please look into these dumps and tell me what caused them!!Dumps:...
  3. Windows 10 PC keeps randomly going to BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 PC keeps randomly going to BSOD - SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED: Hi, My PC over the last few days has been crashing to BSOD when playing games or videos etc. I assumed this might be due to the Graphics Card, so I updated the drivers it was already up to date already aparantly then it crashed again. So I stumbled across some posts...
  4. Can Windows 10 see ext3?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can Windows 10 see ext3?: I'm in the middle of restructuring my MoCA 2.0 network. For the sake of this post, I will only list partial list of my setup for two of the three rooms Room 1: ONT> (Coax) G1100 Router> (Ethernet LAN to LAN) RT-AC87U>Seagate Backup Plus External Hard Drive (USB 3.0) Room...
  5. Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 File Handling Systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 File Handling Systems: What are the differences between Windows 10 and Windows 7 in regards to their file handling systems? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-vs-windows-7-file-handling-systems/731b16ee-274b-433d-aec4-c23473a4581e"
  6. Read Ubuntu Linux ex3/4 Files in Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Read Ubuntu Linux ex3/4 Files in Windows: Does anyone have any thoughts / experiences with apps that allow accessing Ubuntu ext3/4 file systems through Windows? 114915
  7. Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 file reader for windows

Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 file reader for windows: Hi folks If you have any Linux formatted HDD's (with Ext2/3/4) file system and you want to read directly from Windows - say external USB from another system and don't want to have to set up SAMBA and a Linux OS then this program handles it quite nicely. BTW Macrium free...
  8. Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!)

Linux alternative to Mp3tag (handles long file names !!): Hi folks If you use Linux on a NAS or on a VM (Virtual Machine) there's an alternative to the Windows Mp3tag (very good but unfortunately suffers from problem windows has with long file names -- not Mp3tag's fault I hasten to add). Program is puddletag -- on Ubuntu /...
  9. Systems hangs for a while on files handling

in Windows 10 Support
    Systems hangs for a while on files handling: For instance: - Uploading and downloading files from browser - Opening a xls sheet, tried excel and openoffice same thing - I would say anything that involves windows file dialog box There is always an annoying hangout of a few seconds. W10 (creators update) up to...
  10. Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual BOOT with Linux on ext3 and GPT + UEFI: Have two SSDs, one for W10 Insider and on other one I just reinstalled Linux Mint with UEFI and GPT partition(s). [img] [img] While both were in "normal legacy BIOS" way, non-UEFI I was able to make it dual BOOT but now my favorite, EasyBCD can't make working BOOT...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file system windows explorer ext4