Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system

Discus and support Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I'm sure I haven't added any extra software - but Windows 10 TO GO version seems to handle READ and WRITE to a LINUX EXT3/4 File system. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Dec 22, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I'm sure I haven't added any extra software - but Windows 10 TO GO version seems to handle READ and WRITE to a LINUX EXT3/4 File system. I know Linux can handle Windows file systems but this is the first time where I've seen WINDOWS handling a LINUX file system Natively. I certainly haven't added any extra software on the Linux to Go system.

(Windows 10 Enterprise to Go is my HOST machine).

I can access all my files on this disk which is a /HOME on a Linux system.

The Windows to Go is booted up from an external SSD via a USB==>SATA connector.

Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system [​IMG]

Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 22, 2014
  2. knuthf Win User

N900 Internal Memory Corrupted

No, download the application "TestDisk" and try to recover the MMC.

The MMC should be formatted at "ext3" file system - with journal and everything - not Windows FAT or Symbian, but full journalled file system like hfs+ of MacOS. You will then need a Laptop with e.g. Ubuntu Linux to read the card when inserting this on your
    laptop.

If the MyDocs / /media/mmc1 - that fails, you have to recover using the boot menu - to receover, the files must be unmounted. Your loose your Memory Card (up to 32GB), can be fixed while the rest of the phone is running. Search the net for "chkdsk" and "ext3"
    (chkdsk.ext3).

The "ext3" file system is an excellent choice. It is robust, fast and reliable file system. TestDisk will show that the "rootfs: is FAT - same as Windows.

knuthf, Dec 22, 2014
  3. Andre Da Costa Win User
    Dual boot SSD, Windows 10, kali linux 3

Could you try booting into Windows 10

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Right click the partition you created for Kali

Click Delete

Leave it as unallocated

Boot from the Kali install media then try select it again.

You can also download Easeus and format the partition in advance from within Windows using the EXT3 file system:

https://www.partition-tool.com/resource/how-to-...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 22, 2014
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Now that really is a nice addition to Windows, IMO. And it's about time.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Dec 22, 2014
  5. lehnerus2000 Win User
    It could be very handy.
    I often forget to copy files from my Linux partitions over to my Windows ones.

Strange that it hasn't been mentioned as a W10 feature. *Confused

lehnerus2000, Dec 23, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I only noticed it by accident -- I was running a Windows to Go system from an external USB on a laptop which had a Linux system on its internal SSD (OPENSUSE 13.2 where I used the older EXT3/4 file system not the new(er) BTRF system - you can select at install time),

On Computer properties I noticed that I had a C and an F drive -- and I hadn't plugged in any other device like USB stick. So the Windows to Go was reading my internal Linux disk on the laptop !!.

I certainly can't remember installing any special programs on the windows to go system.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 23, 2014
  7. lehnerus2000 Win User
    You use the W10 Enterprise version, don't you?

Maybe it is a feature that is only in the W10 Enterprise version.
    It would make sense to for the W10 Enterprise version have it. *Nerd

lehnerus2000, Dec 23, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Enterprise is the only one that supports Windows to Go -- that's the version I have with 9879 build upgrade.

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 23, 2014
  9. lehnerus2000 Win User
    I thought that was the case. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Dec 24, 2014
  10. alphanumeric New Member
    Yeah, you'll only get the official Windows To Go utility in the Enterprise version and it will only let you use an Enterprise ISO to build the Windows To Go drive.

Interesting that it showed those other native drives. Normally it hides the native Windows drives on the host PC. They don't get drive letters assigned "by design". I guess that's so you don't accidentally mess up the OS on the host PC. It just means an extra step or two if your trying to recover files etc. I think It's the same deal if you plug the Windows To Go thumb drive in without booting from it. It won't get a drive letter and doesn't show up in explorer.

alphanumeric, Dec 25, 2014
  11. lehnerus2000 Win User
    @jimbo45
    Have you checked what Disk Management says?
    Can you create EXT partitions?

lehnerus2000, Dec 26, 2014
  12. Slartybart Win User
    What kernel is on the stick? I haven't played with WinToGo - so I wonder ....

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 TO GO handles LINUX (EXT3/4) File system - Similar Threads - handles LINUX EXT3

2. How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10: [IMG] Booting the computer system involves loading an operating system from the various boot devices like drivers, network, and USB drives when the computer is switched on. Once the startup sequence finishes loading the operating system, the system hardware will be [...]...
  3. How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in Windows 10: [ATTACH] In this post, we will see what is the bootres.dll file in the Windows 10 OS and where is it located. We will also see how to fix or replace a corrupted bootres.dll file that may prevent you from booting [...] This post How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in...
  4. My Slingbox 500 isn't working with my Windows Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Slingbox 500 isn't working with my Windows Pro: I have installed a new Slingbox 500 onto my Windows Surface Pro 4, which has the 64bit Windows Pro installed. I have all the current Windows Updates, however, I can't seem to connect to my Slingbox. When I contacted Sling Media about the issue they mentioned that some else...
  5. Windows 10 login pin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 login pin: How do I change and or correct my windows 10 login pin? I keep getting an error message when my PC reboots after updates have installed on my system and a reboot is required. I get the error message that the username and password are incorrect. Then I input my Microsoft...
  6. Windows 10 ISO - Media Creation Tool 1803 running super slow and doesn't ever show a file...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 ISO - Media Creation Tool 1803 running super slow and doesn't ever show a file...: I have been trying to get an Windows 10 1803 ISO for my office for a VM Hypervisor. The Media Creation Tool 1803 is running really slow and when I lock my computer down for my work day so it can keep downloading, when I come back, the program is closed and the file is not...
  7. Windows 10 cannot update to 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 cannot update to 1803: My newly installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit cannot be updated to 1803. It finished downloading and 15% in to the installation, it fails. I uninstalled then still has no luck. I also ran the Windows update trouble-shooter tool. Thank you for your help...
  8. Windows 10 asks me to set up pin every time i log on, please help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 asks me to set up pin every time i log on, please help: every time i log on windows tries to set up pin, but i don't want pin! any help would be appreciated. thanks, ~Matt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-asks-me-to-set-up-pin-every-time-i-log/e1fe6901-0fe1-40d1-a990-5460f7ba6f23"
  9. Windows 10 Build 17134.228 is now available, download offline installers

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 17134.228 is now available, download offline installers: Today is Patch Tuesday and Microsoft has just rolled out Windows 10 KB4343909. In case you’re planning to upgrade the PC manually, the direct download links for Windows 10 KB4343909 are also available. Windows 10 KB4343909 is available for devices running version 1803 and it...
  10. Cumulative Update KB4343909 Windows 10 v1803 Build 17134.228 - Aug. 14

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB4343909 Windows 10 v1803 Build 17134.228 - Aug. 14: Release notes not available yet. Direct download links for KB4343909 MSU file from Microsoft Update Catalog: *Arrow Download KB4343909 MSU for Windows 10 v1803 32-bit (x86) - 410.1 MB *Arrow Download KB4343909 MSU for Windows 10 v1803 64-bit (x64) - 734.8 MB [img]...