Windows 10: Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

Discus and support Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; My experience.. Well, I went to upgrade from 9926 to 10041 and I ran into an issue because my BIOS was not set up for Secure Boot. The new build would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Mar 20, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

My experience.. Well, I went to upgrade from 9926 to 10041 and I ran into an issue because my BIOS was not set up for Secure Boot. The new build would not install. So, I was able to change the settings in the BIOS so I could use Secure Boot and the update worked just fine.

I hope this in not an issue for others.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Mar 20, 2015
  2. Mystere Win User

It just means that the NVidia and ATI will have to get their boot loaders signed, or they will have to use the EFI mechanisms, such that Dell uses (it installs the update to the special partition, boots the signed EFI loader which runs the update).

But regardless, once again, if you don't like this.. just don't buy hardware that prevents you from disabling it. If enough people do that, OEMs will get the message.

Mystere, Mar 20, 2015
  3. Winuser Win User
    That will work for new hardware. How are the going to do that with the hardware that's already on the market? If it does happen I see a opportunity for some lawyers to make some big $$$$.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Your logic escapes me. Hardware that's already on the market isn't at issue, since it already has the option that was previously mandatory.

Mystere, Mar 20, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
    Try to find a video card on the market today that is UEFI ready without updating it's bios. If you can't turn off secure boot you can't boot your computer.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    The video card doesn't have to be UEFI ready, it's the *UPDATE PROGRAM* that has to be UEFI ready. I don't know of a single video card on the market that won't work in a machine that has UEFI out of the box.

Mystere, Mar 20, 2015
  7. Winuser Win User
    Have you tried installing a video card in a computer that has UEFI and Secure Boot enabled? I did and the computer wouldn't boot. I had to remove the card to get my computer to boot. After searching in Google I found out I had to disable Secure Boot and enable legacy bios to get the card installed. You are right, the card doesn't have to be UEFI ready but your not going to boot your computer if you can't turn off Secure Boot.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2015
  8. blaze007 Win User

which video card was you trying to install?

blaze007, Mar 20, 2015
  9. Winuser Win User
    They were NVIDA GeForce GT cards. The one I'm using now is the GT 740.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    Yes, every computer I've built for the last 3 years has been UEFI with SecureBoot, and none of them have had any issue with any video card.. NVidia, intel, ATI.. The only reason that would be necessary is if the card needed a firmware update for the CPU or Chipset in use. There is simply no reason that has anything to do with UEFI or Secure Boot.

Mystere, Mar 20, 2015
  11. Winuser Win User
  12. The point is that MS is NOT requiring that OEMs should have Secure Boost disabled. On the contrary, the state of Secure Boot is OPTIONAL for W10. Besides, these requirements are only to be able to get logo "Designed for Windows 10", which does not mean that other PCs cannot run Windows 10. Just as this was not the case with Windows 8, by the way...

Olivir2014, Mar 20, 2015
  13. groze Win User

groze, Mar 20, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    First, that's referring to "after-market", which means the computer did not originally come with the card and you are replacing either onboard video or a different card.

Second, that article is 2 years old, and probably refers to cards that are much older.. every card I've used from the last 3 years has been UEFI compatible. But... if, for some reason, you have a brand new system with Windows 10, you may not be able to upgrade the firmware of a 3 or 4 year old video card. You can always plug it into a different computer and do the firmware update there. Or, you might have to get a new card.. it's not completely unheard of for old hardware to be incompatible with new hardware.

Either way, this is probably a very rare scenario in the future.

Mystere, Mar 20, 2015
  15. blaze007 Win User
    im not sure about the low end cards in the 7xx series but i know the gtx 750 and higher can be installed without the need to disable uefi boot.

i think it would be best to wait until more info is release before having a big discussion about this, im about 95% sure you will not need secure boot to use windows 10, as most of the comps running windows 10 will not have a uefi bios.

blaze007, Mar 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality - Similar Threads - Secure Boot alt

2. Locked out with security info

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out with security info: I cloned my jump drive and when I reinstalled it, it was not recognized and could not sign into my Windows 10 account. The verification phone number is no longer valid so I can't receive a text code to sign in. I'm now locked out of my account for 30 days before I can update...
  3. Locked out with security info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out with security info: I cloned my jump drive and when I reinstalled it, it was not recognized and could not sign into my Windows 10 account. The verification phone number is no longer valid so I can't receive a text code to sign in. I'm now locked out of my account for 30 days before I can update...
  4. Locked out with security info

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode: Hey there!I just installed a new motherboard.Once I had windows running, I went to msconfig and advanced boot, and changed my core usage from disabled to 16. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x. After restarting, the computer bluescreened, and went in to recovery mode. HOWEVER, it...
  6. OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode: Hey there!I just installed a new motherboard.Once I had windows running, I went to msconfig and advanced boot, and changed my core usage from disabled to 16. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x. After restarting, the computer bluescreened, and went in to recovery mode. HOWEVER, it...
  7. OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Issue with secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue with secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable in Windows 10: Hello, Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows? Because when I downloaded phoenix os and I disabled secure boot and when I wanted to open Windows tell me automatic repairs failed what is the problem? ***Modified title: Windows 10 & Windows***...
  9. Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows?: Hello, Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows? Because when I downloaded phoenix os and I disabled secure boot and when I wanted to open Windows tell me automatic repairs failed what is the problem?...
  10. Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen: I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro version 1607, and have several user accounts defined on my system. Some of the accounts have passwords, and some don't. When an account without a password is the last one to use the computer, windows remembers that and automatically goes...