Windows 10: Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

Discus and support Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Very good find @. *Thumbs I found out the hard way. Been there, Done that. I almost took my first video card back because I thought it was defective.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Winuser Win User

Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

I found out the hard way. Been there, Done that. I almost took my first video card back because I thought it was defective. I decided to check the internet first and I'm glad I did. I bricked my first video card by trying to flash the bios to UEFI.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2015
  2. Winuser Win User

It's not that you need UEFI to run Windows 10. MS is going to allow the OEMs to do away with the option to turn off secure boot. Or at least that's the way I understand it.

Winuser, Mar 20, 2015
  3. Winuser Win User
    I never said the video card that came with the computer, I said upgrading. And I didn't buy my video cards 3 or 4 years ago. Either your only reading what you want and not all the post or your just trying tick me off. Either way I'm done replying to you.

Winuser, Mar 21, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Excuse me? I didn't say you said that. *I* said that. I'm sorry, but no.. you're not going to find any new video card that's not UEFI compatible. It's just not going to be the case, unless that card was manufactured 3 or 4 years ago and still sitting on a shelf.

Mystere, Mar 21, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
  6. Chances are that this will be just like the W8 system.

If this does disable your ability to install new OSs on OEM PCs, people will have to build their own (if they want to run multiple OSs).
    They could then install a Linux Distro and run W10 as a VM.

I've been wondering about this issue for a while now, as I am testing the W10TPs in VMs.
    I'm not sure that my motherboard supports PAE, NX and SSE2.

I'm running a W10 VM on a Linux Mint 17.1 Host.
    I haven't noticed any performance issues apart from the time required to boot 2 OSs.
    Using a VM also allowed me to avoid the HDD issues that some people have reported (PUIS).

I can't figure out what the LM system monitor is trying to indicate regarding RAM usage though.
    It indicates that I'm using ~1GB of RAM, even though the W10 VM indicates that it is using ~1GB. *Confused

Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality [​IMG]

lehnerus2000, Mar 21, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    @lehnerus2000

Off topic question, where canI get the virtual machine player, I am using xubuntu 14.10 ?

groze, Mar 21, 2015
  8. Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

9. blaze007 Win User
    This isnt really true nvidia gtx 750 and higher cards are uefi-compliant and amd radeon cards have uefi-compliant since the hd 5000 or 6000 series. In the case of your gt 740 its a rebrand gt 650, nvidia 600 series cards wasnt sold as uefi-compliant but some manufacturers did have uefi-compliant bios available upon request mainly for the high end cards in the 600 series.

blaze007, Mar 21, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think you are all getting away from the point.

No-one is suggesting that Ms can't design an OS in the way it wants to. If it requires secure boot then so be it - it's a big mistake IMO since it effectively locks out Zillions of older computers from running it and it makes recovery / installing /testing alternative OS'es more difficult.

What the complaint is about is that computers will NOT have the option to TURN OFF that feature if the users want it off.
    Actually I can't see this whole issue going anywhere

There's nothing wrong with UEFI on new machines -- that's a different issue and doesn't have to have secure boot enabled.

Another worrying feature with secure boot is like all things it could get Hacked by some rogue OS updates. Now at least with an infected HDD you can always wipe it - but I can't see a typical user attempting to flash a BIOS without big problems.

@groze - ensure you download the Linux headers for your running kernel FIRST and distro, ensure also you have GCC (C compiler), MAKE , AUTOMAKE, CONF and AUTO CONF and then simply run the .bundle file you download from VMware. Works perfectly on CENTOS, OPENSUSE and a few other distros I've tried it on.
    @lehnerus2000 - The latest version of VMware software uses DYNAMIC RAM for managing VM's so older memory monitors / measurement software will probably yield "dubious" results.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 21, 2015
  11. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about? The way I read it, OEM's can now, if they want, make secure boot so you can't disable it. They don't have to, but can. Right now it has to be a user configurable option. This is on new PC's and has nothing to do with current hardware you may own. That's my take on it anyway.

alphanumeric, Mar 21, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I for one won't be buying any hardware if there is no way of switching OFF protected boot. What about those users who want to run an OS TOTALLY from an EXTERNAL HDD such as say LINUX or WINDOWS to GO. These Os'es can work even if the internal "C" drive is totally broken. The whole idea of these is that they can run on as many machines as you like. If these are restricted via Protected boot then what's the whole point of creating "Portable systems".

I've been very glad to have had a bootable external Linux system which I've been able to use to repair non functioning computers whether or not the protected boot feature was installed or not. I don't want to create loads of separate "Emergency Repair discs" and in any case the whole idea of a User key for Linux is totally against the whole idea of open source and freely useable software.

I've probably got about 10 different Linux distros -- I certainly wouldn't want to maintain a whole slew of User keys in a Bios just to boot up a one off repair system.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 21, 2015
  13. Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality

You and a lot of other people won't buy that hardware for that reason. Joe public on the other hand won't care. It will be interesting to see how many if any OEM's do this.

alphanumeric, Mar 21, 2015
  14. I didn't have to do anything special to install the VMware Player bundle in Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit).
    I only had to set the "Executable" bit value.

Thanks jimbo45. *Smile

I was wondering if it was something like that.

I have VMware Workstation 7 installed in W7 and Process Explorer indicates that the RAM allocated to a VM is instantly deducted from my available RAM, when the VM starts.

15. groze Win User
    I really hate to say this, Microsoft really can not tell the oems what to do to get the sticker and least in the U.S.
    The only time Microsoft can tell the OEM what to do, is if there building computers for Microsoft to sell to end user.

groze, Mar 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 to make the Secure Boot alt-OS lock out a reality - Similar Threads - Secure Boot alt

2. Locked out with security info

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Locked out with security info: I cloned my jump drive and when I reinstalled it, it was not recognized and could not sign into my Windows 10 account. The verification phone number is no longer valid so I can't receive a text code to sign in. I'm now locked out of my account for 30 days before I can update...
  3. Locked out with security info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Locked out with security info: I cloned my jump drive and when I reinstalled it, it was not recognized and could not sign into my Windows 10 account. The verification phone number is no longer valid so I can't receive a text code to sign in. I'm now locked out of my account for 30 days before I can update...
  4. Locked out with security info

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode: Hey there!I just installed a new motherboard.Once I had windows running, I went to msconfig and advanced boot, and changed my core usage from disabled to 16. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x. After restarting, the computer bluescreened, and went in to recovery mode. HOWEVER, it...
  6. OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode: Hey there!I just installed a new motherboard.Once I had windows running, I went to msconfig and advanced boot, and changed my core usage from disabled to 16. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x. After restarting, the computer bluescreened, and went in to recovery mode. HOWEVER, it...
  7. OS won't boot, locked out of recovery mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Issue with secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue with secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable in Windows 10: Hello, Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows? Because when I downloaded phoenix os and I disabled secure boot and when I wanted to open Windows tell me automatic repairs failed what is the problem? ***Modified title: Windows 10 & Windows***...
  9. Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows?: Hello, Does the secure boot lock and load phoenix os disable Windows? Because when I downloaded phoenix os and I disabled secure boot and when I wanted to open Windows tell me automatic repairs failed what is the problem?...
  10. Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Make Windows 10 *always* boot to the lock screen: I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro version 1607, and have several user accounts defined on my system. Some of the accounts have passwords, and some don't. When an account without a password is the last one to use the computer, windows remembers that and automatically goes...