Windows 10: Windows 10 Transfer files between drives

Discus and support Windows 10 Transfer files between drives in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have 2 external drives attached to my Windows 10 computer. Drive A is 8TB, drive B is 4TB. Drive B is running low on space (Drive A has plenty) and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ObbyDrWan, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Transfer files between drives

I have 2 external drives attached to my Windows 10 computer. Drive A is 8TB, drive B is 4TB.

Drive B is running low on space (Drive A has plenty) and I want to transfer/move files from a similar folder on B to A. There are a lot of Sub folders and files in both locations. There are duplicates in both locations. I always want to overwrite the older files with newer ones.

The problem is when you transfer/move files from one drive to another is that when there is a duplicate the transfer stops and asks you what to do. With 4000 files on Drive B this can be a lot of work which is what I want to avoid. Plus I don't want to have to check dates every time it stops. Plus I don't want to have to go back on Drive B and figure out what files were not moved and then delete them.

Is there an app or an easier way to do this? I have zero programming skills.

TIA

submitted by /u/ObbyDrWan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ObbyDrWan, Jul 29, 2020
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Jul 29, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 29, 2020
  4. LonGun Win User

Windows 10 Transfer files between drives

Need Help Files Transfer

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. That computer has two internal HDDs:

The 1st HDD is C:\ that running Windows. And it has 20GB total of capacity.
    The 2nd HDD is D:\ that is empty. And it has 90GB total of capacity.

The C:\ drive is almost run out of space (full). Is there a way I can transfer everything in the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive and begin to use the D:\ drive from there on as primary drive?
    Can the Windows Files Transfer feature in XP transfer everything I have in C:\ to D:\? If it cannot, then which way can I use to perform the above step?

Thank you.

LonGun, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Transfer files between drives

1. Windows 10 Transfer files between drives - Similar Threads - Transfer files between

2. Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives: I had Sea of Thieves on drive D, a HDD, and wanted to move it to C, a SSD via the program manager option.Midtransfer, I have accidentaly closed the program manager, and now I am stuck in this state: C has already allocated all the space needed for the game, but program...
  3. Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives: I had Sea of Thieves on drive D, a HDD, and wanted to move it to C, a SSD via the program manager option.Midtransfer, I have accidentaly closed the program manager, and now I am stuck in this state: C has already allocated all the space needed for the game, but program...
  4. file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    file transfers between USB drives are suddenly doing a stall and restart: I do photography and have been using robocopy to maintain large backup drives. This problem has never happened before. Windows 10 Home, fully up-to-date on a new 2020-02 Dell Inspiron. I first noticed the robocopy log display pausing every 4 or 500 files for as much as 30...
  5. transferring files between user accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transferring files between user accounts: How can I transfer my files apps and files in my administrator account to the local account i use now? i have tried to copy the account but i cant because that account is an administrator account and it can't be copied to any user account. help me to solve this problem....
  6. FAILED File transfer between PCs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FAILED File transfer between PCs: 1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN) 2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple' process required ... ARRGGGGH! 3) Survived hoop-jumping up to "enter credentials for PC access" (or some such $#%#^) 4)...
  7. Large file transfers between drives freezes midway - Win10 x64

Large file transfers between drives freezes midway - Win10 x64: Hello. If a moderator prefers to move this thread to another subforum please feel free. The issue is with transferring large files from my main HDD to my removable HDD, the transfer STOPS and Windows freezes (usually recoverable by clicking cancel and waiting for the task...
  8. Transferring files between two windows 10 installations

Transferring files between two windows 10 installations: So, i have a new HDD with Win 10 installed. What i'm wonderering is: Can i transfer files between my old HDD with win 10 (home) and my new HDD with win 10 (pro). I know that tranferring files between win 7 and 8 creates problems. But is that the case here too? 30908
  9. Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Transfer files between encrypted and non-encrypted drives?: Not sure where to post this, but... I’m currently awaiting a TPM module for my PC. Will use it in conjunction with BitLocker. Question, if I encrypt my drive, as long as I’m logged in to the encrypted PC, I assume I can still transfer files and folders between encrypted...
  10. Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines

in Windows 10 Support
    Files missing on USB drive when transfering between machines: Hi, have searched for this problem online, but cannot find an answer, perhaps not asking the right question. Recently had to reinstall Win 10 on my desktop to fix various issues, now I cannot transfer files on a USB from my Win 10 machine to a Win 7 laptop. The files...