Windows 10: Windows 10 transferred from laptop to VM on same laptop, now Windows is not activated

Discus and support Windows 10 transferred from laptop to VM on same laptop, now Windows is not activated in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7579, and I decided that I wanted to move Windows to a VM with Linux as the core operating system. Now, the VM reports that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JeffreyRussell, May 21, 2019.

1. Windows 10 transferred from laptop to VM on same laptop, now Windows is not activated

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7579, and I decided that I wanted to move Windows to a VM with Linux as the core operating system. Now, the VM reports that Windows is not activated, with Error code 0xC004F213. Is there any means to transfer the OEM license into the VM, or is that license no longer valid because the "hardware" has changed?

:)

JeffreyRussell, May 21, 2019
  2. 64K
    64K Win User

Worth upgrading to Windows 10 with my laptop?

Since it's a laptop I would just stick with Windows 8.1 and when it's time to buy a new laptop then Windows 10. My gaming laptop that I travel with has Windows 7 and it's fine. When I buy a new laptop in a couple of years Win 10 will be nice.

3. P4-630 Win User
    Worth upgrading to Windows 10 with my laptop?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, by then all laptops have Windows 10 or other new OS when I buy a new laptop.
    Everything runs fine now and I prefer not to re-install all my games and software.

P4-630, May 21, 2019
  4. qubit Win User

Windows 10 transferred from laptop to VM on same laptop, now Windows is not activated

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

This is exactly what I'm seeing and am still investigating. I don't want to get your hopes up though, as I think you're out of luck, unfortunately. I might be too, but I'm in with a chance and here is why.

I installed my Insider copy right at the start of the program on VMWare Player where it activated with my Live account. It also upgraded to the RTM copy when it was released and is activated. So far so good.

I then downloaded the ISO using Microsoft's tool and installed a clean copy on my laptop, again logging in with my Live account, but it won't activate, just like you've seen. Reason given is that the key is blocked. However, what I'm now gonna do is image that VM onto the laptop's HDD and see if that works. It may remain activated (doubtful), require a phone activation or simply not activate at all. Let's hope it activates.

BTW, I never opted out of the insider program and am still on the Fast updates, so my OS version is currently showing as 10.0.10532, which is later than the 10.0.10240 RTM build - it did a full OS install for it.

Finally, even though you can't activate yours, you can still do the upgrade thing from W7 or W8/8.1 so you're not actually stuck, you just don't get the Insider version.

qubit, May 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 transferred from laptop to VM on same laptop, now Windows is not activated

1. Windows 10 transferred from laptop to VM on same laptop, now Windows is not activated - Similar Threads - transferred laptop same

2. Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop: I've recently installed linux in my laptop because it fits better to my needs. However, I'd still like to keep Windows on a virtual machine for using some specific programs and looking how things change after updates so I can know how to help family members when they are...
  3. Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop: I've recently installed linux in my laptop because it fits better to my needs. However, I'd still like to keep Windows on a virtual machine for using some specific programs and looking how things change after updates so I can know how to help family members when they are...
  4. Transfering Windows license from laptop to VM in the same laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Transfer content from one account to another on same laptop Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer content from one account to another on same laptop Windows 10: My ex wife got me a laptop when we were married but used her microsoft account to create the main user account in our names as administrators. I've used the laptop for years but now want to use my own microsoft account so i can control my laptop, also I don't want to see her...
  6. Transfer content from one account to another on same laptop Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Transfer content from one account to another on same laptop Windows 10: My ex wife got me a laptop when we were married but used her microsoft account to create the main user account in our names as administrators. I've used the laptop for years but now want to use my own microsoft account so i can control my laptop, also I don't want to see her...
  7. Transfer content from one account to another on same laptop Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. transfer from old laptop to new laptop in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer from old laptop to new laptop in windows 10: how to transfer files from old laptop to new https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-from-old-laptop-to-new-laptop-in-windows/dcea54a4-2b16-4836-89ba-d41ac607e81d
  9. Windows 10 license for VM on laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 license for VM on laptop: What license should I use for Windows 10 to be allowed to use it on a virtual machine on my Linux laptop? I will be using it only locally, without any remote access. I just have to tests something from time to time. If I correctly understand OEM license assigned to the laptop...
  10. transfer laptop to laptop on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer laptop to laptop on windows 10: How do I transfer from one windows 10 laptop to a new windows 10 laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-laptop-to-laptop-on-windows-10/f25ea3e4-3a9f-4823-9561-f9ba372ec31f