Windows 10: Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard

Discus and support Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, My windows 10 licence was a free upgrade from windows 7. My PC is broken - I suspect its the motherboard and the hard drive is still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SandyLund, Mar 26, 2019.

1. SandyLund Win User

Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard

Hello,

My windows 10 licence was a free upgrade from windows 7.

My PC is broken - I suspect its the motherboard and the hard drive is still working.

Am I able to buy another machine, put in the old hard drive (if still working) and still use my existing windows 10 licence?

I'm going to buy a new PC and the answers given will help me confirm whether I need to start from scratch and buy a new machine and windows 10 licence or just a new machine and use my existing hard drive and windows 10 licence.

Thank you,

Sandy

:)

SandyLund, Mar 26, 2019
  2. neilpzz Win User

Transfer Windows 10 Licence from Old/Dead Computer to New Computer

Depends on the licence you have. How did you get your Windows 10 licence, was it via the free upgrade and was the previous system installed by the manufacturer = OEM.

OEM licences cannot be transferred, generally but recent posts suggest MS is allowing some transfers.

Retail boxed licence can be transferred to a new device.

New motherboard = new device.

neilpzz, Mar 26, 2019
  3. greyducky Win User
    Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV

Hello can you please tell me if it is possible to transfer my Windows 10 Home OEM (anniversary update) licence that i got by upgrading from Windows 8.1 Home OEM to a new PC, that is, i just want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, ssd because of poor perfomance?
    Can I use the process that they added in the new anniversary update, that if you connect your licence to a Microsoft account you will be able to transfer it?

Also once i transfer it, can i switch back to a local account and have it activated?
    Hope you help Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard :)

greyducky, Mar 26, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

New motherboard

Hi NJDR, most likely you will need to purchase a new Windows 10 licence . .

Is your Windows 10 licence based on an OEM licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new Motherboard, if it is OEM it will not . ..

DaveM121, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - transferring licence to new motherboard - Similar Threads - transferring licence motherboard

2. Windows transfer to new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows transfer to new motherboard: I recently upgraded my motherboard as it was a good deal during black friday/cyber monday sales. I'm trying to use my product key that I've been using for my past 3 computers now, but currently it doesn't work and said my product key is not valid. My product key is a OEM key...
  3. Windows transfer to new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows transfer to new motherboard: I recently upgraded my motherboard as it was a good deal during black friday/cyber monday sales. I'm trying to use my product key that I've been using for my past 3 computers now, but currently it doesn't work and said my product key is not valid. My product key is a OEM key...
  4. Windows transfer to new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer: My Windows 10 Pro was upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate retail version, if I have changed my motherboard and CPU, can I transfer my WIndows 10 to the new computer? How can I do that?...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer: My Windows 10 Pro was upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate retail version, if I have changed my motherboard and CPU, can I transfer my WIndows 10 to the new computer? How can I do that?...
  7. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Transferring Windows 10 to a new Motherboard

Transferring Windows 10 to a new Motherboard: Hi I've checked out previous answers on this subject, so I'm familiar with the procedure when I upgrade my m/b & processor. If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from which it was derived – can...
  9. Transfer Windows 10 to new motherboard

Transfer Windows 10 to new motherboard: Hi, I decided to upgrade my CPU and motherboard. I was running Windows 10 pre-installed when I bought the PC. Now I want to transfer it to my new motherboard. How do I do this? Unfortunately, I did not create a back-up prior to dis-assembling my old PC. Good news is that...
  10. Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer licence to new motherboard Win10 Home AV: Hello can you please tell me if it is possible to transfer my Windows 10 Home OEM (anniversary update) licence that i got by upgrading from Windows 8.1 Home OEM to a new PC, that is, i just want to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, ssd because of poor perfomance? Can I use the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 oem key transfer new motherboard