Windows 10: Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible.

Discus and support Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC boots from an SSD but has other drives attached for storage 1 further SSD and 4 mechanical drives. Recently I experienced the PC being very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GougeM, Feb 11, 2020.

1. GougeM Win User

Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible.

My PC boots from an SSD but has other drives attached for storage 1 further SSD and 4 mechanical drives.

Recently I experienced the PC being very slow to boot up. When I realised it might be a storage drive issue I disconnected power to all the mechanical drives.

This pretty much confirmed there was an issue with one of the mechanical disks as PC started booting normally.

I am now appreciating that most PC's have only 1 disk controller which can get stalled if any drive using the controller starts to show any issues. A bit like a roll call, if any drive doesn't respond the PC will keep trying to get a response before checking the next drrive in the list.

I tried reconnecting a suspected drive to troubleshoot it and low and behold while booting the windows 10 logo appears but then the message "Fixing Disk..." etc. appeared. What was odd is it did not look like the normally chkdsk text.

After some time it appeared to resolve the issue and yet once booted the drive was not accessible.

I tried to boot another couple of times wiht the same result.

Drive is now disconnected until I can determine possible steps to access it.

Can anyone shed any light on what Windows actually ran during boot up as it did not appear to be chkdsk. I Am also keen to determine what Windows may have doen that might make the drive not accessible.

Thanks

:)

GougeM, Feb 11, 2020
  2. magibeg Win User

Hard drive no longer bootable

So i have 2 hard drives and they were both bootable. The computer stopped booting from the primary drive that i normally boot from (the 2TB) and instead started booting from the 500gb drive again. I looked in the bios the 2TB drive is no longer even an option to boot from. What the heck happened?

-Both drives appear in the bios
    -Only the 500gb drive appears to be bootable
    -The 2TB HD was booting just fine until i came to visit my parents and found it was booting off the 500gb (everything was old and not updated)
    -The 2TB drive can be seen from the windows of the 500gb drive.

I don't suppose there would be a quick fix for this? I'm having trouble finding information on google because it's mostly just entry after entry of drives not being visible in windows.

magibeg, Feb 11, 2020
  3. GKing Win User
    Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Feb 11, 2020
  4. Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible.

Hard Drive Storage

I have a 500Gb Hard Drive, running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. My c drive is nearly full, I have checked every area on the pc and nothing adds up to the 486Gb I'm supposed to have available. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage - it shows that 401Gb
    is being taken up by Apps and features but when I click on this and show the list of installed apps with their sizes, I have added up the entire list and it comes to 25Gb total. It doesn't show what's eating up the rest of the 400Gb of space. I have deleted
    everything I can and have only been able to free up 11Gb so far so my c drive is still showing red. At this point is the only other step to reload the pc, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be and how to fix?

Thanks,

Heather

Heather Clemons, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible.

1. Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible. - Similar Threads - tried Fix storage

2. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  3. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  4. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive storage: I need to clear a significant amount of storage space from my hard drive. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-storage/16d4e2cc-69ae-4b0e-8a86-337326091d29
  6. non responding hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    non responding hard drive: Im in a bind and need help. I have a Lenovo Ideapad. I happened to look at it walking by and there was a notification as soon as I looked at it it closed but I did see that it said there was a problem with the hard drive and to restart to fix. Well, that sounded serious so I...
  7. trying to access old hard drive

trying to access old hard drive: Good morning all. I recently purchased a new computer, and I'm using old hard drives to move files off other computers, and the hard drives off computers which died, and I kept the drives from. I'm on my last two drives, and I'm not able to access either. I plug them in--...
  8. Hard Drive Storage

Hard Drive Storage: I have a 500Gb Hard Drive, running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. My c drive is nearly full, I have checked every area on the pc and nothing adds up to the 486Gb I'm supposed to have available. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage - it shows that 401Gb is being taken up...
  9. Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive: Hi all, After a reboot yesterday, the system wants to do a scan & repair of hard drive D on start up. After waiting several hours, it does not progress past 1% complete. I am able to cancel it and log in as normal but performance very slow. I can still see drive D in...
  10. Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10: I have an external hard drive that I had to encrypt when using on a work computer. It's protected with a password and to access files, I run unlock.exe and type in a password. However, since upgrading to Windows 10, I can no longer access the files. When I run unlock.exe an...