Windows 10: Windows 10 turns off and won't re-enable video output

Discus and support Windows 10 turns off and won't re-enable video output in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 laptop connected to a Philips QHD monitor over HDMI, there is also a Windows 10 tower connected to the same monitor over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Chris Glen-Smith, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Windows 10 turns off and won't re-enable video output

I have a Windows 10 laptop connected to a Philips QHD monitor over HDMI, there is also a Windows 10 tower connected to the same monitor over DisplayPort.

If I switch the monitor input using the monitor input OSD Windows 10 turns off the video output and wont re-enable it.

e.g. I can get the laptop setup displaying the laptop screen on the monitor set to display only on the monitor and the built in screen closed then if I switch input to display the tower the laptop HDMI output gets turned off and the only way I've found to get the laptop back on the screen is to open the laptop, at that point it reenables the HDMI output but in "extended" and I have to go into display settings again t o set it to "display only on 2" other wise it turns off the HDMI output when I close the builtin screen.

Going the other way the tower is worse: it turns off the output and I can't get it back other than a hard power off and reboot.

If I unplug the HDMI for few seconds I tried up to 20 secs and reconnect then it's fine, video is OK. but if I use the input selector I immediately get the above behavior even if tower is turned off.

It's like the monitor is sending something to the source to turn it off.

How can I get Windows 10 to maintain video output?

Close lid on laptop is set to do nothing, laptop is on mains power and set to never turn off display.

Thanks for your help.

:)

Chris Glen-Smith, Mar 30, 2020

2. cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Asus Transformer t100ta won´t turn on Win10

Yesterday was reading on it. All of a sudden turned off and now it won´t turn on

GabrielaAraya, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Medyen Win User

Windows 10 turns off and won't re-enable video output

Windows defender is turned off and won`t turn back on

Windows defender on windows 10 enterprise won`t turn on. This happened shortly after i updated it; when I try to turn it on it says:

This app has been turned off and it isn't monitoring your computer.

And right underneath it, it says:

If you are using another app for malicious and unwanted software use Security and Maintenance to check that app`s status.

Need for a response ASAP, thanks Windows 10 turns off and won't re-enable video output :)

Medyen, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 turns off and won't re-enable video output

1. Windows 10 turns off and won't re-enable video output - Similar Threads - turns off won't

2. Bluetooth gets re-enabled on its own after I turn it off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth gets re-enabled on its own after I turn it off: This is basically the same as Windows 11 keeps re-enabling bluetooth even after I turn it off. - Microsoft Community I believe but there is no solution there and question was locked.On top of that I can see that some "Other devices" get reconnected to my machine even though I...
  3. Bluetooth gets re-enabled on its own after I turn it off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth gets re-enabled on its own after I turn it off: This is basically the same as Windows 11 keeps re-enabling bluetooth even after I turn it off. - Microsoft Community I believe but there is no solution there and question was locked.On top of that I can see that some "Other devices" get reconnected to my machine even though I...
  4. Windows 11 keeps re-enabling bluetooth even after I turn it off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keeps re-enabling bluetooth even after I turn it off.: Title. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-keeps-re-enabling-bluetooth-even-after/fddc1156-5ff6-4392-9005-d65e9b56441a
  5. Windows 11 keeps re-enabling bluetooth even after I turn it off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 keeps re-enabling bluetooth even after I turn it off.: Title. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-keeps-re-enabling-bluetooth-even-after/fddc1156-5ff6-4392-9005-d65e9b56441a
  6. Windows won't output to display after turning monitors off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't output to display after turning monitors off: Hi there, When windows turns off my monitors currently set to 1 hour, Sleep is set to never, my computer won't output anything to my display even though it's working. If I unplug all 3 displays and plug 1 back in it will flash no input detected and the only thing that will...
  7. how to enable window defender as it is turned off ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to enable window defender as it is turned off ?: how to enable window defender as it is turned off ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-enable-window-defender-as-it-is-turned-off/f19739cd-dd41-446c-95ec-627be8f62aa6
  8. how to prevent windows from constantly re-enabling a turned off lcd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to prevent windows from constantly re-enabling a turned off lcd?: via hdmi to a laptop, the lcd is on standby, win + p selecting one screen works for about 10 seconds, then it refreshes and enables the 2nd again, tried multimonitor tool from nirsofer and it does the same thing. cursor still can move to this lcd while it's in standby mode,...
  9. Windows 10 - Screen Won't Turn Off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - Screen Won't Turn Off: My laptop HP Pavilion is approaching two years old and issues about it going to sleep/waking itself up again have always dogged it. I always eventually find a solution to solve a particular problem, but then a few weeks later it starts going wrong again. A few days ago I...
  10. New Video card monitor won't turn off.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New Video card monitor won't turn off.: I bough a Zotac 750 Ti 2GB and I have my monitor temporarily connected via VGA via the included DVI to VGA adapter (until I get a MiniHDMI to HDMI adapter) Whenever Windowstries to turn off the monitor, the monitor instead says "cable is disconnected" indefinitely. I have...