Windows 10: Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode

Discus and support Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Whether it's sleep mode or hibernate my laptop will turn itself back on and sit there and run until it times out and goes back to sleep. Sometimes it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sad-Teacher6579, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode

Whether it's sleep mode or hibernate my laptop will turn itself back on and sit there and run until it times out and goes back to sleep. Sometimes it comes on for a few seconds and then turns off. Sometimes I'll come home and it is on and running. I've tried many different things (sorry I can't remember) but nothing has fixed it.

My PC has done this for years and it drives me crazy!

submitted by /u/Sad-Teacher6579
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sad-Teacher6579, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Aquinus Win User

Windows 7 sleep mode shutsdown

Windows can be configured to eventually wake back up and go into hibernation. It's possible that it's not hibernating properly.

I suggest turning off hibernation and seeing where that gets you.
    How to disable and re-enable hibernation - Windows Client

Aquinus, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Hibernate mode Vs Sleep Vs Hybrid sleep.

I'm starting to lose track of what we're disagreeing on. I can't say what was on the mind of whoever designed the technique in the past, but today it is a tool available to any supporting platform where the users need it. Hybrid sleep is functionally a suspension to disk without clearing the ram, at its core it is a hibernation. Arguing which method is for which platform is -with all due respect- a waste of time. I would agree to the argument that Hybrid sleep is more versatile than simple hibernation, though, but that doesn't make hibernation a non valid method of suspension on desktops. And if someone intended for long down-times or expected power loss, the differences between hibernation and hybrid sleep become inexistent.

For the frequent blackouts part, we have to consider the scope of the issue here: whoever opts to use any suspension method, hibernation, sleep or hybrid sleep, does so explicitly to avoid shutting down the computer (for whichever reason they wanted). Anecdotal example: I'm off to work in the morning, but I do not want to close all the software and web pages I have open (and they can be many) and restart them later, so I have the choice of either sleep or hibernate (or hybrid methods), but with any S state less than 4, I run the risk of a blackout forcing me to what I avoided shutting down for, so I elect to use hibernation (or hybrid sleep, of which the hibernation part is what's needed).

A UPS is indeed a must have, but alas, not all of us live in the first world!

VRAM isn't wiped post-wake up, per se. The only way to wipe the entire memory is relieving if of power. Hibernation does have that effect in the suspension process (going into hibernation), upon waking up it repopulates the memory with what was occupying it before turning off (though I don't know if it was actually this simple).
    What was I referring to in my previous post is Windows' memory manager's functionality. When a process is closed (eg: Alt+F4ed the main window, killed in task manager, etc), all its memory heap is then freed up for other processes to use. So, any memory that is used when a computer wakes is for actually running processes, waking up won't reserve memory for anything else (other than hardware, I guess?)

Computers can be weird. I once had a recurring issue with Microsoft's Security Essential where it starts eating up all my ram after waking up from sleep. And I'm talking about 20GB of physical memory! Still don't know what caused that bug though. Couldn't reproduce it in later Windows installations on the same hardware either.
    And don't get me even started on those cheap Chinese hardware!

Shihabyooo, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode

Issues with the Sleep mode and Hibernate in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I see that even if you are placing the PC in sleep mode or hibernate mode the PC will turn back On after some time. This might be due to the corruption in Power management settings.

I would suggest you to disconnect the TV from computer and check if the issue persists. If the issue does not persists then you can move further with the below troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try running the Power Troubleshooter to check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Run the Power troubleshooter on the system.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Power troubleshooter
    Further you can try creating a new power plan according to your preference. Refer the link below for more details on Power Plans.

Power Plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

(Steps in the article, applies to Windows 10).

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode

1. Windows 10 turns on in sleep/hibernate mode - Similar Threads - turns sleep hibernate

2. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  3. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hibernation or sleep mode?: While trying to troubleshoot my other issue, it appears that I have encountered a new one.Whenever I leave my computer to go to sleep, it seems like my computer randomly shuts down. However, when I press any key, it automatically boots back up. I did disable...
  4. Hibernation or sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hibernate mode only trigger sleep mode

Hibernate mode only trigger sleep mode: ***moved on english forum***Hi, Sometimes, when I try to activate the hibernation mode for my computer, it only triggers the sleep mode : when I move the mouse it switches on the screen.It happens when/after charging up.Can you help me ?Thanks for your answer,ClementPS : here...
  6. sleep mode -hibernation mode-wakening

sleep mode -hibernation mode-wakening: Hello. I have a question/query .Why with hibernation mode my laptop wake up ''only from me'' and only if i touch power button and with sleep mode wake up itself?I now about task scheduler and that are many programs that are running at specific hours i see many processes like...
  7. Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while

Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while: Windows 10 sleep turns into hibernate after a while, is this healthy to do frequently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sleep-turns-into-hibernate-after-a/cd8e4f40-5f94-4ed1-a7cf-b1c6861752f8
  8. Sleep and hibernate modes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sleep and hibernate modes: When I put my computer into either sleep mode or hibernate, the apps are closed down after a certain amount of time, making these modes useless. Is there a fix for this?...
  9. Sleep and Hibernate mode restart

Sleep and Hibernate mode restart: How do I wake my desktop back up after I put it into Sleep or Hibernate mode? It seems I always have to completely restart my computer and I don't want that....
  10. Charge in Sleep and Hibernation Modes

Charge in Sleep and Hibernation Modes: Can someone confirm if, when my laptop lid is shut but mains charger plugged in, battery charging still continues - either when in sleep or hibernation mode? (My settings are currently set to "sleep" when lid is closed.) Second, what is the difference between sleep and...