Windows 10: Windows 10 tweaking, somehow I broke context menus for taskbar icons

Discus and support Windows 10 tweaking, somehow I broke context menus for taskbar icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys. Any idea which registry setting might cause this problem? I'm currently optimizing Windows 10 2009 with VMware OSOT and somehow I broke... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by j86, Jan 15, 2021.

1. J86
    j86 Win User

Windows 10 tweaking, somehow I broke context menus for taskbar icons

Hi guys. Any idea which registry setting might cause this problem? I'm currently optimizing Windows 10 2009 with VMware OSOT and somehow I broke taskbar icon/element context menus by adjusting some string I'm not aware of having this effect.

Any pointer would be helpful, thanks!

It should look like this:
    https://i.imgur.com/iVf6EUm.png

But now it looks like this:
    https://i.imgur.com/0qu51OM.png

Edit: For additional info, my HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced looks like this:
    https://i.imgur.com/supao0E.png

:)

2. Rea_13 Win User

Context menu on taskbar icon

I have issue with taskbar icons. When I right click on icon, context menu does not appear. For example, right click on edge should show close window, new window, incognito new window.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Rea_13, Jan 15, 2021
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

4. wupp Win User

Is there a way to add new items to the context menu of taskbar icons in Windows 10?

It is possible to add custom items to the context menu of specific file types through the registry, however extending the .lnk files, that I suppose are used in the windows 10 taskbar has no effect on the context menu that accessible from the taskbar, only on the ones accessible from desktop or file explorers.

I'd like to either add a custom option to the jumplist menu (on the taskbar), or to the menu that shows up once right-clicking the shortuct icon in the jumplist menu.

My goal is to be able to open the file location of items located on the taskbar more efficiently, currently the best way I know is:

1. Right click the icon on the taskbar
    2. Right click the app's shortcut in the jumplist menu
    3. Click on 'Properties'
    4. Click on 'Open file location'
    5. Close the Properties window

I'd like to shave off as many steps as possible from this process.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 tweaking, somehow I broke context menus for taskbar icons - Similar Threads - tweaking somehow broke

2. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  3. Windows 11 Context menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Context menus: The actions one can take for an item file, folder, etc. show up in different ways:Across the topAcross the bottomIn a context menu I think "context menu" is the right term.others?This is a bit confusing -- not that one can't quickly figure out where to look, but that one...
  4. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar shortcuts' context menus diminished: Win10 Pro (20H2, says winver). Updated from 2004; visually unchanged, including taskbar. Taskbar shortcuts' context menus are less useful, containing only - unpin - close (if referenced program is running). Formerly the menu contained also the name, whose submenu...
  5. Context menus are fuzzy when right clicking certain icons on taskbar.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Context menus are fuzzy when right clicking certain icons on taskbar.: I'm running Windows 10 1909. I have the Windows Defender icon in my lower right taskbar. When I right click it to do a scan or view the security dashboard, all of the text is fuzzy, not sharp. The other icons like sound and ethernet have sharp text when right clicked. I have...
  6. Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons and Context Menus gone!!!!!: So I wake up my computer yesterday morning after the weekend. Outlook is open, after checking I minimize and see all my desktop icons are gone except for the recycle bin. I right click on the lower left Windows icon and nothing. If I click Send To on a file in explorer...
  7. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...
  8. Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Taskbar Context Menus in Windows 10 When you perform one of the actions below, you will see a taskbar context menu. Right click or press and hold on the taskbar Press and hold Shift...
  9. Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar & Context Menus not displaying correctly: This problem occurred after updating some programs using Secunia's PSI, although I don't believe the updates caused this (more later). Problems seen: Taskbar & its icons are displayed in a corrupted form (see screenshot) Date/Time is missing from the Notification area of...
  10. Windows taskbar icons broke

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows taskbar icons broke: I have had a few times when the windows icons do not do anything when left clicking. The windows Start menu , cortana icon , notification panel, clock. All of my desktop icons work fine. Anyone have an idea what needs to be done to get this going again? Thank you 28031