Windows 10: Windows 10 unable to access external HDD via USB

Discus and support Windows 10 unable to access external HDD via USB in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hopefully someone can help. My desktop HD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB) drive failed in some way. That desktop system can longer boot or even recognize... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by asdfjkl1, Dec 27, 2018.

1. asdfjkl1 Win User

Windows 10 unable to access external HDD via USB

Hopefully someone can help. My desktop HD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB) drive failed in some way. That desktop system can longer boot or even recognize drive. I have connected it to my laptop as an external drive via USB. Windows explorer does not see it at all. Disk Mgmt shows it as a 3.86 GB Unallocated drive (Drive is 2TB) this may be the recovery partition? Right clicking has greyed out options (cannot select new simple volume to assign drive letter).

I have tried free versions of the following software:

1. SeaTools (HD manufacturer) - passes Short Drive Self Test, fails both short/long generic tests.

2. Mini-Tool Partition Data Recovery 8 - also only sees a 3.86 GB drive but no data

3. AOMEI Partition Assistant - also shows only a 3.86 GB unallocated partition

4. EaseUS Data Recovery - shows a 3.86 GB "lost" partition but no files found

5. File Scavenger 5.3 - shows 3.86 unknown partition but finds no data on short/long scans

6. Recuva - does not see drive at all (wants you to use Explorer type interface to select drive to scan)

Used full version of the following:
    1. Hetman Partition Recovery - also only shows 3.86 GB Unallocated space as "corrupted partition". Oddly this program shows my 1TB laptop drive as 2TB.

I am confused why all these programs are seeing a 3.86GB drive when it is 2TB. I seem to recall the recovery partition was about 14 GB. I don't care about making the drive bootable. I only need to recover some files so hopefully data is still accessible somehow. Please let me know if any further info is needed. Thanks!

Windows 10 unable to access external HDD via USB 1561a859-35ce-45eb-981c-26850fbd36eb?upload=true.png

:)

asdfjkl1, Dec 27, 2018

2. usb external HDD fat32 support ?

i have updated to WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY .. it made my PC and LAPTOP to stop recognising FAT32 EXTERNAL usb HDD 2TB. i had to revert back to older version of windows 10 in order to access the external-HDD

can you confirm that windows 10 latest update support FAT32 external usb drives?

khalidjamil, Dec 27, 2018
  3. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 27, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Dec 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 unable to access external HDD via USB - Similar Threads - unable access external

2. Windows 11 cannot detect internal HDD access externally via USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 cannot detect internal HDD access externally via USB: I'm using Windows 11. I have a Western Digital internal HDD which is put and accessed as an external drive. So my PC connect to that HDD via USB cable. The reason is that I can later connect it to my Smart TV and play videos from that HDD.Unfortunately, it's not as easy as I...
  3. Windows 11 cannot detect internal HDD access externally via USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 cannot detect internal HDD access externally via USB: I'm using Windows 11. I have a Western Digital internal HDD which is put and accessed as an external drive. So my PC connect to that HDD via USB cable. The reason is that I can later connect it to my Smart TV and play videos from that HDD.Unfortunately, it's not as easy as I...
  4. Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD: Hi Support,Kindly assist with this urgent matter. I've encrypted my external hard disk of 1 TB a couple of days ago. I DO remember the pin I set yet it doesn't accept it. I've tried it a couple of times & tried all other possible password matches & options but to no avail....
  5. Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD: Hi Support,Kindly assist with this urgent matter. I've encrypted my external hard disk of 1 TB a couple of days ago. I DO remember the pin I set yet it doesn't accept it. I've tried it a couple of times & tried all other possible password matches & options but to no avail....
  6. Unable to Access External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Access External HDD: Hi, I am unable to access my 1TB HDD on my surfacepro 4 128gb. I could do that with my other computers, however on SP4 i am unable to. Once the below message comes, the system does nt response. I will end up removing the disk and do other things. Hence i have taken an...
  7. Unable to access external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access external HDD: I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various suggestions to fix from...
  8. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a
  9. Accessing external harddisk connected via USB

Accessing external harddisk connected via USB: How do I make a connected USB drive (ie, an external harddisk connected via a USB port) visible in the File Explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/accessing-external-harddisk-connected-via-usb/2ca4e8e3-10bc-4bc6-a639-4c7676d320a2
  10. Unable to access external USB Drives!

Unable to access external USB Drives!: Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer. I have looked in disk management and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 unable to access external hardisk