Windows 10: Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho

Discus and support Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings all... I've been researching this problem for over a week now (in Feb/2019) to no avail. The main problem is that the machine will NOT boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robbtom, Feb 28, 2019.

1. robbtom Win User

Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho

Greetings all... I've been researching this problem for over a week now (in Feb/2019) to no avail. The main problem is that the machine will NOT boot into a windows environment from any medium whatsoever. The only thing I haven't tried is a Win10 DVD, which I don't have one. I've been trying to boot from several different USB drives and the same problem just remains persistent : after splash screen and then circling dots... nothing. When trying to boot from HDD the win10 does a funky reboot and then goes to "Preparing Automatic Repair" (sometimes with, sometimes without circling dots), after a few moments it goes completely blank black screen with no further response. Then I have to do a hard power off. My TOshiba laptop will boot into a Linux partition with no problem unless I try to boot with a win10 install USB, which then overwrites the grub boot info. Easily fixed with booting from a Linux install USB, which works btw, but doesn't help me much for trying to repair win10. NOTHING WORKS. I can't even reinstall win10 because I can't boot into any form of a windows environment. Pretty sucky Microsoft.
    Using a Toshiba i7 laptop
    dual boot : primary Win10 , secondary OS Kali Linux

:)

robbtom, Feb 28, 2019

2. dual booting Windows and Linux

I was wondering if theres a way when dual booting Windows 7 and Linux Mint, to have it boot Windows by default and possibly not show the GRUB menu, and if I press a certain key, have it boot linux instead?

Is this even possible?

speedy11131, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho

Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho

1. Windows 10 unable to boot from ANYTHING! Linux will boot tho - Similar Threads - unable boot ANYTHING

2. Laptop will boot into Linux but not Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop will boot into Linux but not Windows: I'm having a strange issue with an old laptop. It's a dell inspiron 15 7560, friend thought it was dead and gave it to me.The initual issue was that it wouldn't boot no matter what, it'd just get stuck at the preparing automatic repair screen. Here are the things I had tried...
  3. dual-boot Windows and Linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dual-boot Windows and Linux: I have a new laptop with a 512 GB SSD. I want to secure-erase the SSD and install Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration. Doing the secure-erase is easy, as I can do it with a Linux LiveUSB. I already have a current Windows LiveUSB ready for installation. I did...
  4. Boot to linux OS from windows with a command

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot to linux OS from windows with a command: hello guys, i am using Windows 10 Version 21H1 19043.1023 i have also installed linux on my other drive, and i am using UEFI boot mode with fast boot enabled, i would like to know, can make any command shortcut that will reboot windows and boot to my linux os automatically ?...
  5. Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 unable to hibernate after dual booting linux mint.: I have just installed linux mint alongside windows 10. Afterwards when i try to hibernate windows 10 it just brings me back to the logon screen. How am i able to hibernate windows 10 again?...
  6. booting linux from USB

in Windows 10 Customization
    booting linux from USB: Hey guys, i have the surface laptop 2, and i have been trying to boot linux from the USB but nothing works. i used Rufus and format the usb FAT32. i tried to boot on my other laptop Acer and it worked fine. should i turn off the security boot and TMP ? i tried to change the...
  7. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  8. blackscreen no booting from anything

in Windows 10 Support
    blackscreen no booting from anything: Windows 10 was freazing when I launched anything. Then it quit.. black screen... Now I try to reinstall and still black screen... Bad HD? Bad CPU? Bad GPU? What do you all think???? 77769
  9. Can't boot anything from USB in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot anything from USB in Windows 10: Hey guys, I have the following problem: I've created a live persistence bootable usb with kali Linux that works fine on a number of computers, but when I try to boot on my Asus X551M laptop which has Windows 10, it goes in "Preparing automatic repair" and doesn't even try to...
  10. Boot from a linux DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot from a linux DVD: Can someone give a simple method so I can boot from a DVD drive which has a linux DVD? I am not interested in having duel boot capability. 53972