Windows 10: Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair

Discus and support Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm having an issue with booting Windows 10. The installation previously worked, but now whenever I boot it up, I see the Windows logo, a black screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kktran, Oct 12, 2020.

1. kktran Win User

Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair

I'm having an issue with booting Windows 10. The installation previously worked, but now whenever I boot it up, I see the Windows logo, a black screen with a loading wheel, and then a completely black screen with no cursor. It never boots past the black screen.

I've tried a few things to fix it:

1. I tried booting into safe mode, and that didn't work.

2. I've run chkdsk already.

3. I tried startup repair, but that failed.

4. System restore gave me error 0x80070017.

5. I tried the bootrec commands, but bootrec /FixBoot failed.

6. I tried resetting Windows, but that failed when I tried to do it with the local files, and it was unable to get online to redownload the files.

7. I tried several of the above solutions again with a Windows image on a USB drive, but none of them worked.

I haven't tried a complete reformat, because I'd like to keep the data files on my hard drive. Any suggestions or ideas about the root cause? Is this a hardware failure?

:)

kktran, Oct 12, 2020

2. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 12, 2020
  3. Unable to boot the device running Windows 10

Hi Don,

As you are unable to boot the device running Windows 10, provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue.

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What exactly do you mean by: "the laptop will not open"?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?

As a workaround I suggest you to unplug all the external devices connected to your computer, hard reboot the device and check with the status of this issue. Please be informed that there is a power supply to your device.

If the issue still persists, try the below troubleshooting steps as the boot files of current operating system might got corrupted.

I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Using ISO file to perform automatic repair will allow the device to boot the system to Windows Recovery Environment and tries to repair the device.

Step 1:
    I suggest you to try automatic repairing the Windows and check if it helps.

Download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Automatic Repair.

Refer to the following link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Step 2: After creating the tool perform an Automatic Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Automatic Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and
    more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Automatic repair:

• When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be
      F12.
    • The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.
    • Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the
      Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to
      CD\DVD ROM.
    • After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
    • Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
    • Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click
      Automatic repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 12, 2020
  4. Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair

Unable to restore or resize windows now

Hi,

I realize that you are unable to restore or resize windows. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

• Does this issue occur on a different user account?

Suggest you to boot the PC in a clean boot state to check if that helps. A clean boot step will help us determine if any 3rd party service or application is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 12, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair

1. Windows 10 unable to boot, unable to restore or repair - Similar Threads - unable boot unable

2. Windows unable to restore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows unable to restore: Hello My computer went into the repairing loop so I created an installation media from the windows website. When I pluck in the installation media, I am stuck on a blue screen. When I first tried the installation media, I managed to enter the screen to repair windows but...
  3. Unable to repair windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to repair windows: I hope someone here can help. I am my wits end with trying to repair windows. I have tried the reset and it just stops at about 50%. I ran sfc, chidsk and dism to repair windows with no luck. I have download the image and tried to reinstall from USB that to fails at about...
  4. Unable to repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to repair: I had recently updated my Windows and it got stuck at 91% then it is saying failed to restart automatic repair and when I clicked on restart the same page appears and asks again to restart . WHAT TO DO?...
  5. Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover

Windows repair not working, unable boot or recover: I’ve just build my first PC and as well as a new installation of Windows on an NVMe SSD, I’ve kept an older installation of windows on a SATA SSD. Until yesterday, I’ve had no problems using either of them, just hitting F2 and changing the boot drive. It was after “tidying...
  6. infinite boot and unable to access windows repair

infinite boot and unable to access windows repair: In normal bootup i get the infinite loading screen with the HP logo and then black screen for 2 secs and loops. when i tried to hit F11 for recovery mode it says please wait for a minute and then a black screen with a cursor. When i clicked on ESC for start-up options it...
  7. UNABLE TO BOOT WINDOWS 10

UNABLE TO BOOT WINDOWS 10: I purchased Windows 10 Home on USB drive for desktop pc, replacing Windows 7. Clicked on setup.exe and clicked on save "nothing" so that it would be a clean install. Now I cannot boot my pc. PC is humming, so it is on, but nothing happens. I started yesterday. Can you help?...
  8. Windows 10 Is Unable To Boot

Windows 10 Is Unable To Boot: My PC Is Completely Unable To Boot Up Anymore I Keep Get Blue Screen INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE I Have Tried Many Options Even Repairing The Boot Sector. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-is-unable-to-boot/988103ef-cff0-417e-b949-d7fe504729fb
  9. Unable to boot into Windows 10

Unable to boot into Windows 10: After some days of noticing my ASUS Laptop running slow, I decided to do a System Restore in an attempt to speed it up and remove any recent programs/features I have installed. (There was one suspect program for a new game from CN [Langrisser Mobile, PC Client], however the...
  10. Unable to restore windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to restore windows 10: I was having constant disk thrashing so I disabled startup items and booted in safe mode which fixed the issue. I then re-enabled the startup items and restarted but now it fails to boot with 'windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change etc'. status...