Windows 10: Windows 10: Unable to change drive D back to C

Discus and support Windows 10: Unable to change drive D back to C in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, A PC tech change by mistake the windows drive C to D. The computer can naturally not boot to Windows any more. Using both the internal Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by samtal, Apr 11, 2016.

1. samtal Win User

Windows 10: Unable to change drive D back to C

Hi,
    A PC tech change by mistake the windows drive C to D.
    The computer can naturally not boot to Windows any more.
    Using both the internal Win maintenance (as admin), or the regedit or external Mini XP I can change back the drives, but it does not persist, and always tries to reboots with the previous erroneous drives.
    I used the regedit to change by:
    Local Machine / System / Mounted devices, set the admin permission, and it all looks OK when assigning the new letters , no error messages, but gets back again to the faulty drives (as can be seen in DISKPART/List Volume).
    Any idea?
    As an alternative (a bad one) I thought I could tell Windows to start from drive D (where the system currently is) instead. How can I do it?
    Thanks

:)

samtal, Apr 11, 2016
  2. Avant_M Win User

Unable to move Apps from D: drive to C: Drive

Hello Gina

Thanks for your Reply but it seems like you didn't notice my screen shot n scenario.

my concern is different.please watch and read carefully Windows 10: Unable to change drive D back to C :)

Avant_M, Apr 11, 2016
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Unable to move Apps from D: drive to C: Drive

With rare exceptions, programs are not just .exe files. They also have references to them in the registry and elsewhere within \Windows. And they may also have other components within \Windows. You lost of all that, and will have to reinstall them all now.

Ken Blake, Apr 11, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10: Unable to change drive D back to C

1. Windows 10: Unable to change drive D back to C - Similar Threads - Unable change drive

2. Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD: I had some issues with updating Windows: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failed/85b5827f-2b4c-4d8d-b647-6cd19bdb0e49I followed the steps but I noticed that Windows 11 was working really slowly. I looked on Task Manger and it looks like my...
  3. Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD: I had some issues with updating Windows: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failed/85b5827f-2b4c-4d8d-b647-6cd19bdb0e49I followed the steps but I noticed that Windows 11 was working really slowly. I looked on Task Manger and it looks like my...
  4. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing C:/ to D:/: Hi I have a computer that has a C drive and a D drive. My C drive is much smaller than my D drive and is nearly full. Therefore I want to change the default location of programs, documents, images, downloads etc to D drive. how do I do this? see attached...
  5. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing C:/ to D:/: Hi I have a computer that has a C drive and a D drive. My C drive is much smaller than my D drive and is nearly full. Therefore I want to change the default location of programs, documents, images, downloads etc to D drive. how do I do this? see attached...
  6. Changing C:/ to D:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  8. Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to Change Location of Documents Folder From C: Drive to D: Drive: I followed instructions I found online to right click Documents, click on Properties, and change Location from C:\Users\Owner\Documents to D: I did that and got the message:The folder can't be moved here. Unexpected error from PerformRedirection The filename or extension is...
  9. C: and D: drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  10. Change "D" drive to "C" drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Change "D" drive to "C" drive.: How do I copy all files on my "C" drive onto my current "D" drive (including bootup files and Windows 10), then change my "D" drive to "C" drive and my my old "C" drive to "D" drive?...