Windows 10: Windows 10 unable to copy folders

Discus and support Windows 10 unable to copy folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running windows 10 the latest version with all the latest updates on my PC and my laptop I have a problem in that 9 times out of 10 when I try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sam02, Mar 6, 2017.

1. sam02 Win User

Windows 10 unable to copy folders

I am running windows 10 the latest version with all the latest updates on my PC and my laptop

I have a problem in that 9 times out of 10 when I try and copy a folder to another hard drive or just make a copy on the same partition of the hard drive, The copy starts and then part way through the copy the screen flashes and the copy stops and does not complete its only part copied.

This is happening on two computers now

I have tried different hard drives but it makes no difference

:)

sam02, Mar 6, 2017
  2. IT Qatar Win User

Windows Explorer keep crashing after upgrading to Windows 10

After upgrading to windows 10, windows explorer keep crashing, unable to save, copy, delete & edit folder and long filename does not open.

IT Qatar, Mar 6, 2017
  3. Unable to delete Desktop files - Windows 10

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and am unable to delete files from my desktop or drag and drop them into a folder. I even tried to copy and paste into a folder but that did not work either. Help!

sweenangel, Mar 6, 2017
  4. Windows 10 unable to copy folders

TairikuOkami, Mar 6, 2017
  5. sam02 Win User
    Hi no i have not tried using another file manager, but thats a good idea can you recommend one please

PS i have just downloaded and tried Explorer ++ and that one crashes as well. i selected the folder to copy and then before i got to the past option it crahed

I tried several times all the same result

sam02, Mar 6, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    One possible interruption to the copy could be that the USB disconnects part way through. Connectors can get loose with wear, so listen carefully for the 'disconnect' notification sound next time. I have one USB port that is prone to that. You could try waggling the lead to see if the USB disconnects too easily.

Bree, Mar 6, 2017
  7. sam02 Win User
    Hi thanks for the info i have tried all the connections and they are all ok

What i dont understand its the same on my pc and laptop

sam02, Mar 6, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

What happens in Safe Mode?
    Perhaps you have the same interfering 3rd party prog on both.

And are both PCs on the same LAN perhaps?

(And have you checked your disk? E.g. Crystal Diskinfo (free). Although very unlikely as you have this on 2 PCs).

History: have these PCs been ok, and if so until when...

dalchina, Mar 6, 2017
  9. sam02 Win User
    Hi dalchina

Thanks for the advice

I have not tried safe mode yet
    Yes they are on the same LAN
    I have checked the hard drives with windows with no problem reported
    Yes both these computers have been ok up to the last 3 weeks or so if i remember correctly they both started with this problem about the same time

sam02, Mar 6, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    One other 'diagnostic', if the Folder and contents aren't too large I'd compress/zip it and E-Mail it to myself as an attachment, try to open and/or save on both computers. Some ISPs have a limit on message/attachment size.

Berton, Mar 6, 2017
  11. sam02 Win User
    Hi the folder are not large they are audiobooks i like to tag them correctly and add the book cover but before i mess with them i like to make a copy just in case then if all goes ok i then delete the copy

But i have not done any for a few weeks so im not sure when this all started

sam02, Mar 6, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Try it in Safe Mode. Now, if ok then, two possibilities.
    a. Some effect of sthg via your network. I believe some have had issues with duff links to items over the network in Quick Access.
    b. Something updated or installed on both PCs at around the same time.

dalchina, Mar 6, 2017
  13. sam02 Win User

Hi guys ive just tried to copy and past a few folder in safe mode and it works just fine in fact the copy and past was almost twice as fast as when in full windows mode

sam02, Mar 6, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    That's rather what I expected somehow.
    Now work the problem - process of elimination.

a. Is it the LAN somehow?
    Disconnect your PC from the LAN
    Boot to normal mode
    What happens? If all ok, related to using the LAN somehow.

b. Is it a 3rd party program?
    Clean boot.
    What happens? If all ok progressively enable startups until problem recurs.

c. Is it a shell extension?
    Download and run Shellexview (free).
    Hide all MS extesnsions. Disable all others.
    Ok? If so, progressively enable extensions until problem recurs.

Etc.

dalchina, Mar 6, 2017
  15. sam02 Win User
    Hi Thanks again for the great information

1 I disconnected my LAN and the problem was still there so its not the LAN

2 I looked at all the programs i had installed recently and uninstalled them, and i still had the problem

3 So i downloaded Shellexview V1.97 and as you said i hid all MS extensions and disabled the others and now the problem has gone away

Ive just got to add then until i find the culprit

Just one more question please its says in Shellexview options to mark suspicious extensions i have that selected but none are marked, and if some extensions are disabled with the parent program now not run

Thanks again

sam02, Mar 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 unable to copy folders - Similar Threads - unable copy folders

2. UNABLE TO COPY FOLDERS IN SD CARD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNABLE TO COPY FOLDERS IN SD CARD: Hi i was trying to mod my 3ds and every time i copy the mod folders i getCan't read from the source file or disk. Also i clicked "Try again" and it shows the same error message Please help...
  3. UNABLE TO COPY FOLDERS IN SD CARD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UNABLE TO COPY FOLDERS IN SD CARD: Hi i was trying to mod my 3ds and every time i copy the mod folders i getCan't read from the source file or disk. Also i clicked "Try again" and it shows the same error message Please help...
  4. Windows 10 unable to copy files to a shared folder beyond a specific subfolder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 unable to copy files to a shared folder beyond a specific subfolder: Hi all,This problem is baffling me.I have 2 computers with Windows 10 22H2, up to date, not joined to a domain, with the same local account.On both computers, the data drive D:\ shared as D is completely shared on the local network with Everyone having full access.The data...
  5. Windows 10 unable to copy files to a shared folder beyond a specific subfolder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 unable to copy files to a shared folder beyond a specific subfolder: Hi all,This problem is baffling me.I have 2 computers with Windows 10 22H2, up to date, not joined to a domain, with the same local account.On both computers, the data drive D:\ shared as D is completely shared on the local network with Everyone having full access.The data...
  6. Windows 10 unable to copy files to a shared folder beyond a specific subfolder

7. Unable to copy and paste folders and files on network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy and paste folders and files on network: We have 5 PC computers all with Windows 10/11 all linked through wire connections in our office. All PC's can view and edit folders and files that are saved on my PC Windows 11. A fellow coworker's PC Windows 11 can copy/paste files and folders that are located on her...
  8. Unable to copy and paste folders and files on network

Unable to copy and paste folders and files on network: We have 5 PC computers all with Windows 10/11 all linked through wire connections in our office. All PC's can view and edit folders and files that are saved on my PC Windows 11. A fellow coworker's PC Windows 11 can copy/paste files and folders that are located on her...
  9. Unable to Copy DVD's on Windows 10 :

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Copy DVD's on Windows 10 :: Hi There:I hope everyone in the community and your families are well and safe.So I downloaded Windows 10 onto my old Dell Inspiron which originally came with Windows 7. I had a DVD of a home movie that I wanted to make a copy of which was so easy with Windows 7 - I would put...
  10. Unable to Rename/copy/move Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Rename/copy/move Folder in Windows 10: Hello, I have Windows 10 Home Single Language version 20H2. I am not able to rename/copy/move any folders since last 1 month. Screenshot of the error is as below. Anyone having these issues? If so is their a fix? Thanks for the help. [ATTACH]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can not copy folders from usb with win 10