Windows 10: Windows 10 unable to hibernate - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

Discus and support Windows 10 unable to hibernate - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Sometimes, not every time, my computer is not able to enter hibernate. When I close the laptop lid or select hibernate from the start menu, the laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SFitz1000k, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 unable to hibernate - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

Sometimes, not every time, my computer is not able to enter hibernate. When I close the laptop lid or select hibernate from the start menu, the laptop screen will go dark not off, backlight is still visible for a few seconds and then the screen comes back on and shows the lock screen. There is no blue screen and restart on error is disabled.

System Info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model XPS 15 9500

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU 097D

Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Cores, 12 Logical Processors

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.2.1, 1/06/2020

SMBIOS Version 3.2

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

BaseBoard Product 05XYW7

BaseBoard Version A00

Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1"

User Name

Time Zone

Installed Physical Memory RAM 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.7 GB

Available Physical Memory 4.08 GB

Total Virtual Memory 35.7 GB

Available Virtual Memory 19.2 GB

Page File Space 20.0 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection On

Virtualization-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

In the event viewer is Event ID 45 volmgr. Volume 3 is a second SSD drive labeled as D:

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] volmgr
    - EventID 45
    [ Qualifiers] 49156
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2020-08-03T23:09:10.7246170Z
    EventRecordID 10242
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4
    [ ThreadID] 31348
    Channel System

Computer XXXX-XXX

Security

- EventData

\Device\HarddiskVolume3
    0000000001000000000000002D0004C003200000BB0000C000000000000000000000000000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 00000000 00000001 00000000 C004002D
    0010: 00002003 C00000BB 00000000 00000000
    0020: 00000000 00000000

In Bytes

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ........
    0008: 00 00 00 00 2D 00 04 C0 ....-..À
    0010: 03 20 00 00 BB 00 00 C0 . ..»..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

DISKPART

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 C NTFS Partition 465 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 1 NTFS Partition 505 MB Healthy

Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Volume 3 D NTFS Partition 476 GB Healthy

This is usually followed by the event 187 - User-mode process attempted to change the system state by calling SetSuspendState or SetSystemPowerState APIs.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 187

Version 0

Level 4

Task 243

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000404

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2020-08-03T12:36:11.7138632Z

EventRecordID 10203

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 10360

[ ThreadID] 24564

Channel System

Computer

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-21-1764067268-1111622678-158412761-1001

- EventData

ApiCallerNameLength 58

ApiCallerName \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe

SystemAction 3

LightestSystemState 2

:)

SFitz1000k, Aug 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 will not go to sleep. "Event 45: The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver." Volume Manager

So, apparently this problem has been around since Windows 7 and none of the searching I've done has lead to any thread with a solid solution. So I guess I'll toss my hat into the ring. When I attempt to put my desktop computer into sleep mode, it simply
    puts the screen into power save mode and takes the system to the log-in screen as if I had locked the system. My searching took me to this page Introduction to Crash Dump Filter Drivers - Windows drivers but
    I'm not entirely sure what to do with the information, but I'm sure it's relevant.

Also, allow me to stress that this does not have to do with wake timers or power plans, so do not suggest this. My computer is NOT randomly waking up, it isn't going to sleep in the first place due to being unable to load a driver.

JoshuaDerkowski, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Windows cannot sleep or shutdown, volmgr Error 45 The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. and Error 46 Crash dump initialization failed!

The thing is, those folders do not exist. The PC did not crash when I put the computer to sleep or shutdown or hibernate. Whatever I do, Windows does not create those files, which I think could narrow down the problem.

Actually, the minidump folder exists, but it's empty.

Ryan Sergio, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Windows 10 unable to hibernate - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

Windows cannot sleep or shutdown, volmgr Error 45 The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. and Error 46 Crash dump initialization failed!

So my Windows just prevented me from sleep (and shutdown). I have traced the problem and read many many posts in Google to just fix my pagefile or memory dump. All the solutions do not work.

Whenever I do sleep or hibernate (shutdown /h), the screen turns off but the PC does not (all the LEDs are still on, my mouse is still powered). I can move my mouse and the screen goes back on again, and I got into the login screen again.

In my current setup, I have two NVMe drives. Both are M.2, and one is plugged into the M.2 slot, and the other one is plugged into the PCIe card using PCIe to M.2 card. I also have a GTX 1660 in the first PCIe slot. Both are dynamic disks because my D: is
    a striped volume. I also have a E: volume which is a simple volume. With this setup, I have 3 volumes, C, D, and E, which are listed in DISKPART as Volume 0 - 3 (including EFI system partition, which makes it 4 volumes).

I have used it with no problem. I have been using an external harddrive which apparently was not wiped clean and have two volumes (two partitions) in it, an ESP, and a normal NTFS partition. This makes them listed in disk part as Volume 4 and Volume 5. I
    have used this setup without problem. Until one day, I realized that I plugged out the drive without safely ejecting the drive. I have been using it without ejecting it once, shutting down and turning my computer on without ejecting it once. Then I wanted
    to use it for my laptop but I can't eject it safely because Windows kept saying that it was being used. So I forced ejected it anyway by plugging it out. This is when the problem began, I think.

After that I can't sleep or shutdown the PC. Restart works perfectly. When I saw the event viewer, there are three events that I always see when I do standby:

1. User-mode process attempted to change the system state by calling SetSuspendState or SetSystemPowerState APIs.

Source: Kernel-Power, Event ID: 187, Information

I think this indicates that the user initiates sleep.

2. The driver \Driver\pci for device PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43C7&SUBSYS_33061B21&REV_01\5&20ab19aa&0&08020B stopped the power transition.

Source: Kernel-Power, Event ID: 40, Information

This one I do not understand. In device manager it's one of the "PCI-to-PCI bridge" device. It can be my SSD or the Nvidia. But I think it is related to the volmgr problem which comes 1 second after.

3. The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

Source: volmgr, Event ID: 45, Error, EventData \Device\HarddiskVolume5

What I realized is that, in the EventData, there is an information regarding where the error comes from, I think. It's HarddiskVolume5. However
    there is no such volume in DISKPART. I have not plugged in the external harddrive back. HarddiskVolume5 may be from the external harddrive, or, one of my SSD drives which were numbered 5 when my external harddrive were plugged
    in. Either way, the error persists even though I plug my external harddrive back.

During startup, after rebooting, I do always get volmgr error, but this time it's Event 46, which is Crash dump initialization failed! which I think come from the same source. The EventData contains the same entry which is \Device\HarddiskVolume5
    which is non-existent.

For extra information, doing shutdown /h will take me through the same process when sleeping and the command prompt then shows
    Incorrect function.(1) message on the screen, which I think does not help at all since it's a very generic error.

Standby, hibernate, and shutdown, all three will generate the exact same messages. They all behave exactly the same. All i can do is just reboot.

How to fix this problem, or at least reset the volmgr somehow so that it no longer refers to the non-existent drive? Of course changing memory dump or pagefile options do not work if this is the case.

I have tried fixing Windows files with dism and sfc, does not work.

Is there a way to fix this without having to reinstall Windows?

Ryan Sergio, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 unable to hibernate - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

1. Windows 10 unable to hibernate - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. - Similar Threads - unable hibernate system

2. Windows 11 - PC Crashing - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - PC Crashing - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.: Hello,My computer keeps crashing and I cannot determine the cause because it is not creating a dump file. Things ive tried:1. Check for Windows updates2. Ran antivirus protocol3. Checked for driver updates4. Checked health of ram and hdd5. Ran SFC /scannow, it did find...
  3. Windows 11 - PC Crashing - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - PC Crashing - The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.: Hello,My computer keeps crashing and I cannot determine the cause because it is not creating a dump file. Things ive tried:1. Check for Windows updates2. Ran antivirus protocol3. Checked for driver updates4. Checked health of ram and hdd5. Ran SFC /scannow, it did find...
  4. Event 45 Error: Could Not Load Crash Dump Driver; Then Event 46 Error: Crash dump...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event 45 Error: Could Not Load Crash Dump Driver; Then Event 46 Error: Crash dump...: I have not been able to solve these errors in my System Log since my upgrading my PC in order to be able to run Windows 11.I successfully upgrading my Windows 10 Pro PC by replacing the motherboard with an Asus ROG Strix Z690 R Gaming WiFi D4.After upgrade, Windows 10...
  5. Event 45 Error: Could Not Load Crash Dump Driver; Then Event 46 Error: Crash dump...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event 45 Error: Could Not Load Crash Dump Driver; Then Event 46 Error: Crash dump...: I have not been able to solve these errors in my System Log since my upgrading my PC in order to be able to run Windows 11.I successfully upgrading my Windows 10 Pro PC by replacing the motherboard with an Asus ROG Strix Z690 R Gaming WiFi D4.After upgrade, Windows 10...
  6. Event ID 45 : The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event ID 45 : The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.: Hello, I have been having issues shutting down my PC. It doesn't shut down, just reboots immediately after I press "shut down" I took a look in event viewer and found the following: [ATTACH] The details for event ID 45 are : The system could not sucessfully load the...
  7. The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.: Keep receiving this error in my event viewer when my computer will not put itself to sleep? any help? submitted by /u/SeniorWaugh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mjxa1o/the_system_could_not_sucessfully_load_the_crash/
  8. Event45, volmgr The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. please help me...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event45, volmgr The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. please help me...: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 23-Sep-20 3:46:02 PM Event ID: 45 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic Description: The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver. Event Xml: <Event...
  9. Windows cannot sleep or shutdown, volmgr Error 45 The system could not sucessfully load the...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows cannot sleep or shutdown, volmgr Error 45 The system could not sucessfully load the...: So my Windows just prevented me from sleep and shutdown. I have traced the problem and read many many posts in Google to just fix my pagefile or memory dump. All the solutions do not work. Whenever I do sleep or hibernate shutdown /h, the screen turns off but the PC does...
  10. Windows 10 will not go to sleep. "Event 45: The system could not sucessfully load the crash...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 will not go to sleep. "Event 45: The system could not sucessfully load the crash...: So, apparently this problem has been around since Windows 7 and none of the searching I've done has lead to any thread with a solid solution. So I guess I'll toss my hat into the ring. When I attempt to put my desktop computer into sleep mode, it simply puts the screen into...