Windows 10: Windows 10 Unstable Display w/ Dual Monitor (DisplayPort + HDMI)

Discus and support Windows 10 Unstable Display w/ Dual Monitor (DisplayPort + HDMI) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello Community, My Rig: OS: Windows 10 64 bit CPU: i3 8100 GPU: RX 480 Disk: 500Gb NVME RAM: 16Gb DDR4 Primary Display: HDMI ASUS (1920x1080)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by breimers, Jun 25, 2019.

1. breimers Win User

Windows 10 Unstable Display w/ Dual Monitor (DisplayPort + HDMI)

Hello Community,

My Rig:

CPU: i3 8100

GPU: RX 480

Disk: 500Gb NVME

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

Primary Display: HDMI ASUS (1920x1080)

Secondary Displays: HDMI Samsung(1920x1080), DisplayPort LG(2560x1080)

When trying to use multiple displays of different types, I have an unstable graphical experience. The desktop or application will freeze/crash, but I can still hear audio just fine. I usually have to restart the computer to fix this. This happens most often when gaming, but also when streaming video or multitasking across displays.

I updated my Radeon drivers, but that did not change anything.

The interesting thing is, when running elementaryOS on another SSD, I don't have these issues. It seems that the cause likely lies with the Windows Radeon drivers, or in the Windows 10 display manager.

Anyone experienced something similar?

:)

breimers, Jun 25, 2019
  2. M_P_ Win User

Windows 10 unstable in dual screen setup displayport + hdmi

I just changed my system from an intel i5 2500k to an amd r5 1600 and with almost the same hardware (only changed cpu, motherboard, ram and switched to a m2 ssd as windows drive) and windows version (freshly
    resinstalled) windows crashes when I turn my displayport screen on again in dual screen setup with an hdmi screen.

System Configuration:

Motherboard: MSI X370 gaming pro carbon

BIOS: 7A32v17 (AGESA 1.0.0.6)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200 (G-Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB)

GPU: MSI RX 480 gaming x 8GB

VBIOS: 015.050.000.000

GPU Driver: 17.7.1

Steps to Reproduce:

• Plug into gpu ports: BenQ XL2730Z @ displayport, Philips 273P3LPHES @ hdmi

• turn on pc and displays, wait for windows login

• turn off displayport display

• turn on displayport display

• what now happens: displayport display stays black (no signal), hdmi display turns black (no signal), pc unresponsive

• after 10 - 20 seconds pc reboots automatically
    Expected Behavior:

displayport display should turn on normally without crashing the pc in dual screen setup

Actual Behavior:

displayport display causes crash when turned on again

Additional Observations:

Turning the hdmi monitor off and on does not crash windows even if displayport display is plugged in.

Unplugging the hdmi monitor and turning the displayport monitor off and on does not crash windows.

I used the exact same hardware and drivers before with an Intel i5-2500k and an Asrock Extreme 3 gen 3 without these issues. Windows and drivers were completely reinstalled though after switching to Ryzen.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

3. Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI

Hi there. But would i be buying hdmi to displayport or usb c to display port?

Because the one i listed is usb c to displayport. When i checked hdmi to display port on amazon, i heard lot of complaints where ppl said it wasn't compatible because it was the other way around?

paulyjustin, Jun 25, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI

To go from HDMI on computer to DisplayPort on monitor, you need a powered adapter such as this:
    Amazon.com: HDMI to DisplayPort Converter Adapter Cable with USB Power,QGeeM 4K x 2K HDMI to DP Adaptor for HDMI Equipped Systems,Compliant with VESA Dual-Mode DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 1.4 and HDCP: Electronics

The USB-C on your XPS 15 9550 is the DisplayPort. If you want dual external monitors on the XPS 15 9550, the best combination is 1 monitor with HDMI and one monitor with DisplayPort. The HDMI monitor gets connected to the HDMI port on the computer with a simple HDMI cable. The DisplayPort monitor gets connected to the USB-C port on the computer with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable:

Amazon.com: Fixget USB C to DisplayPort Cable (5.49ft/1.8m), 4K@60Hz USB 3.1 Type C (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) to DP Cable for 2016 MacBook Pro, MacBook 12, ChromeBook Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus: Electronics

If you have two external monitors with HDMI, then one goes HDMI to HDMI with the simple cable, and the other goes to the USB-C port on the computer with either a USB-C to HDMI adapter, or USB-C to HDMI cable:

Amazon.com: USB C to HDMI, CableCreation USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI 4K Hub Adapter (Thunderbolt 3), DP Alt Mode, Male to Female, Compatible MacBook Pro/Chromebook Pixel/Dell XPS 13/Yoga 920/Samsung Note S9,S8, White: Electronics

Amazon.com: Aibocn USB C to HDMI Cable, Type C (Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) to HDMI 4K Cable for MacBook Pro, Surface Book 2, iMac, Galaxy S9/S8/Note 8, Dell XPS 13/15, Pixelbook and More - 6.5FT/2m: Electronics

The only difficult connection would be to connect a DisplayPort monitor to the HDMI connection on the computer, you don't want to do that.

NavyLCDR, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Unstable Display w/ Dual Monitor (DisplayPort + HDMI) - Similar Threads - Unstable Display Dual

2. Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter: Hi, I have a problem with my computer trying to use a second monitor. I have a RX6650 xt and I'm trying to use a second monitor using a HDMI to DisplayPort converter. The monitor shows de BIOS image when de pc starts and even shows the BIOS setup but when Windows initiate it...
  3. Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with second monitor with HDMI to DisplayPort converter: Hi, I have a problem with my computer trying to use a second monitor. I have a RX6650 xt and I'm trying to use a second monitor using a HDMI to DisplayPort converter. The monitor shows de BIOS image when de pc starts and even shows the BIOS setup but when Windows initiate it...
  4. Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitor HDMI Through HDMI Switcher: I would like to use my 4x1 HDMI switch with my laptop and my Nintendo Switch into an external monitor. With my wiring as it currently stands, My laptop screen is extended to the external monitor while my Nintendo Switch is not in use. When I use the HDMI switch to play on my...
  5. Dual 2560x1440 Monitors using DisplayPort Cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual 2560x1440 Monitors using DisplayPort Cable: I have two identical HP EliteDisplay E273q 27-Inch LED Monitors. HP Probook Laptop HP usb-c Dock Adapter Intel UHD Graphics 350 My trouble is that when I use the dock which has two DisplayPort ports - one monitor shows up at 2560x1440 while the other gets stuck at...
  6. Monitor is not working with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Monitor is not working with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter: I have a HP EliteDisplay E222 and it is not able to recieve signals using a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. I have tried plugging in the DisplayPort side of the adapter into my computer and into my graphics card and both of them give me no signal and that makes me think it is...
  7. Dual Monitor System Desktop Is Unstable

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor System Desktop Is Unstable: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809 (17763.437), 16GB RAM, AMD RADEON HD 6350 Video card; System has two VGA Monitors attached. WIth only one monitor, desktop configuration is stable - ie, appears the same after each boot. With TWO monitors, desktop configuration is unstable - ie,...
  8. Dual Monitor System Desktop Is Unstable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor System Desktop Is Unstable: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809 (17763.437), 16GB RAM, AMD RADEON HD 6350 Video card; System has two VGA Monitors attached. WIth only one monitor, desktop configuration is stable - ie, appears the same after each boot. With TWO monitors, desktop configuration is unstable - ie,...
  9. Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Recommendation for Dual Monitor with Displayport, HDMI, DVI: I have one samsung syncmaster t240 very old monitor that i bought used from someone because i could not buy 1920x1200 monitors where im located. I connect it to my dell xps 15 9550 via hdmi to hdmi cable with no issue. I previously had an asus monitor that stopped working...
  10. Dual NEC Monitors Unstable - Win10 Pro, Dell5580 w/DS3100 Dock

Dual NEC Monitors Unstable - Win10 Pro, Dell5580 w/DS3100 Dock: I just received a new laptop from work. IT delivered it, configured it for dual monitor display and it lost this the first time the screen saver became active. Detect does not work, identify can. I read the tutorial, yet found nothing significant with regard to the issues I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does using hdmi to vga adapter make system unstable?