Windows 10: Windows 10, unsure about the best way to transfer my license to new PC

Discus and support Windows 10, unsure about the best way to transfer my license to new PC in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, my old PC was on death's door so I built a new one and reused some of the components. Unfortunately I forgot to deactivate my license (Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Flyingfirepig, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Windows 10, unsure about the best way to transfer my license to new PC

Hi, my old PC was on death's door so I built a new one and reused some of the components. Unfortunately I forgot to deactivate my license (Windows 10 Pro OEM) on the old PC before I cannibalised it, and now it's not in a state where it'll be able to boot or run. I'm wondering what the best way to get the key transferred to the new computer is. As far as I understand it my options are:

1. Put my old HDD in the new PC, boot into it, windows will detect the hardware change so I'll need to reactivate the license somehow. Once that's done I'll deactivate it and then pop the HDD out and proceed to install windows as normal
    2. Install windows as normal and hope it'll let me reuse the key

What's the chance that #2 will work or is there an easier way around this that I've missed? Would prefer to avoid buying a new key, but I also don't want to waste half a day faffing around if it wouldn't work anyway.

submitted by /u/Flyingfirepig
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Flyingfirepig, Mar 14, 2020
  2. Andre Da Costa, Mar 14, 2020
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Mar 14, 2020
  4. Windows 10, unsure about the best way to transfer my license to new PC

Transfer Win 10 license to a new PC

Hello,

I bought a new PC and read that I can transfer my Windows 10 license to it and I have a few questions.

Few years ago I used Win 7 Pro license to install my two PC's.

When FREE update came I upgraded both of them to Windows 10 x64 PRO.

Yesterday I assembled a new PC which will replace one of them and I want to transfer the license to it from the one it is replacing.

The question is if I transfer the activation license will I lose the activation on the second PC or not?

What are the steps to do the actual license transfer?

Vladimir Jelovac, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10, unsure about the best way to transfer my license to new PC

1. Windows 10, unsure about the best way to transfer my license to new PC - Similar Threads - unsure best transfer

2. Transferring Windows license to a new PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows license to a new PC.: I have a Windows 10 license that is connected to my Microsoft Account. I will soon buy a laptop without a system and i want to install Windows 11 on it. And my question is, if i login to that Microsoft account on Windows 11 will it automatically activate? Or do i need to...
  3. Will my Windows 10 Pro license transfer to a new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will my Windows 10 Pro license transfer to a new pc?: Hello.I'm planning on buying a new laptop in a few days and leaving this old one to my brother. I'm logged with an outlook account and have Windows 10 Pro. My question is: The new device comes with Windows 10 home installed, so when I get the new device and log in with my...
  4. Transferring license to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring license to new PC: Hello! I'm building a new PC, and am trying to figure out the best and easiest way to move my product license over. It'll be completely blank, and from what I've been gathering I can download the installation media for Windows onto a USB, and then plug it into the new PC...
  5. transfer windows 10 license to new PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    transfer windows 10 license to new PC: hi i have a windows 10 license linked to my microsoft account i'm going to Format my old PC and sell it. what should i do to transfer it to my new PC ? submitted by /u/Krzmaa [link] [comments]...
  6. Question about transfer a Windows 10 license to a new machine

Question about transfer a Windows 10 license to a new machine: Hi, I have a question about the transfer of a license of Windows 10 to a new machine I am referring to retail license, not OEM. Suppose I have ten Windows 10 licenses that I already activated on the same number of computers ten. I want to activate Windows 10 on a new...
  7. Transferring Windows 10 License to new pc

Transferring Windows 10 License to new pc: I’ve built a new pc and wish to transfer my license for Windows 10 on my current PC to my new system. Windows 10 is currently activated by digital license via free upgrade on my current system. I don’t know my current windows product key because it is covered in my...
  8. Transfer of Windows 10 license to a new PC

Transfer of Windows 10 license to a new PC: Dear community, In brief, previously I purchased a retail Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit, which I have, subsequently, upgraded to Windows 10. Recently, the HDD on my PC broke down beyond repair. I am planning to fix the old PC sometime in the future by buying a SSD, but for the...
  9. Transferring Windows 10 license to new PC.

Transferring Windows 10 license to new PC.: On Saturday I will be building a new computer and moving my current Windows 10 over to the new machine. A couple weeks ago, I got help from this lovely community to find out if my license was retail or not and it turns it out, it is. I upgraded from Windows 7, and I can't...
  10. best way to transfer windows 10 files to new computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    best way to transfer windows 10 files to new computer: whats the better method to transfer windows 10 files to new computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/best-way-to-transfer-windows-10-files-to-new/2922c285-4f96-485e-8e12-20c76c191411