Windows 10: Windows 10 Update 11/18 - Modifying Registry (etc.) Settings

Discus and support Windows 10 Update 11/18 - Modifying Registry (etc.) Settings in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've just switched to a new PC. Whilst moving my own files, installing programmes, etc., was relativedly quick what took ages was getting rid of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kevin4fm, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Kevin4fm Win User

Windows 10 Update 11/18 - Modifying Registry (etc.) Settings

I've just switched to a new PC. Whilst moving my own files, installing programmes, etc., was relativedly quick what took ages was getting rid of the unwanted clutter foisted on users by Microsoft wihtout an easy way of saying 'no thanks'. e.g.:

Windows Explorer: Removable drives appearing in both My PC and separately, removing unwanted folders and folder links, removing 'Network' which I don't want and never use

Start Menu: Adding links to MS Office programmes and Office and Windows folders which I don't want and had removed

These are just the ones that are immediately apparent a few minutes after the upgrade completed. I suspect I'll now constantly keep finding other examples as I dig deeper. Many of these are not made available as easy options and involved a number of registry changes, following extensive, time consuming research.

Most people would be somewhat annoyed if, after having spent time and money altering a house they'd bought to suit them, they arrived home to find the developer had come along and undone all the work that been put in to get it how the owner wanted ... especially if they hadn't even been asked or given the option!

So my question is this: Before I go to the trouble of redoing everything, how do I ensure that the next Windows Update doesn't trample over all my changes again?

:)

Kevin4fm, Nov 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 update KB3119142 Visual C++ 2012 Update 4

Hi Susan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you in solving the issue. I suggest you to perform the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.

• Click on “View All” option on top left pane.

• Select “Windows Update” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.
    Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to try the steps under the section
    manually reset Windows Update components and check if it helps. Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Warning:

• Applies to Windows 10.

• Please avoid running Fixit’s and Step 11 in this article, as it does not applies to Windows 10.

• This section, method, or task contains steps that tells you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection,
      back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the
      Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Hope this information helps.

SujataMoktan, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Registry editing

Hello,

This issue may have occurred after one of the following situations:

• You upgrade the Windows operating system.
    • You install or uninstall CD or DVD recording programs.
    • You uninstall Microsoft Digital Image.

Given that, we suggest performing the methods in this article:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    The resolutions that are listed in that article may help solve some instances but not all instances of this problem.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Nov 20, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Update 11/18 - Modifying Registry (etc.) Settings

Windows 10 Set up

Hi,

I would suggest you to try these steps and check if they help:

Step 1: Few users have mentioned that making the partition with the operating system as Active and then trying to upgrade has resolve the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click on ‘Disk management’.

• Right click on the partition where Windows is currently installed and right click to mark it as active.

• Restart the PC and now try upgrading.
    If the issue still persists, you can try changing the registry values and check. Refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +R and type ‘regedit”.

• Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

• Enter the value for portable operating system as ‘1’ .

• Restart the PC and check.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Bennet Martin, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Update 11/18 - Modifying Registry (etc.) Settings

1. Windows 10 Update 11/18 - Modifying Registry (etc.) Settings - Similar Threads - Update Modifying Registry

2. Update from windows 10 to windows 11 and keep all settings, apps, etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update from windows 10 to windows 11 and keep all settings, apps, etc.: How to on setting: "Keep personal files and apps during Windows Setup". i can update to windows 11 but i scared about apps... i know that when i enter google account i be have all passwords, but, what if i loose all apps? So... i asking how to turn that funtion named "Keep...
  3. Update from windows 10 to windows 11 and keep all settings, apps, etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update from windows 10 to windows 11 and keep all settings, apps, etc.: How to on setting: "Keep personal files and apps during Windows Setup". i can update to windows 11 but i scared about apps... i know that when i enter google account i be have all passwords, but, what if i loose all apps? So... i asking how to turn that funtion named "Keep...
  4. Update from windows 10 to windows 11 and keep all settings, apps, etc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 is still getting installed after modifying registry keys to stay on Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 is still getting installed after modifying registry keys to stay on Windows 10...: Hello,My computer is still getting updated to Windows 11 even though I followed the recommended instructions to modify the reg key to stay on Windows 10 v21H2. I have some old applications that won't work in Windows 11, so I really need to stay on Windows 10 for a while,...
  6. Windows update and registry settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update and registry settings: Im on 1909 and i kinda screwed up my registry when trying to optimize, if i will update to 20H2 in windows update tab, will it reset my registry settings? Im playing tournament soon so i dont have time to fully reset windows and download everything submitted by...
  7. Registry Modified

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry Modified: I believe that someone changed my registry values, probably an intruder program. I cannot access certain programs as it specifies that this application is managed by your organization but as it happens, I don't have any organization or control party. How can I set my registry...
  8. Modifying Registry with "reg" file

in Windows 10 Support
    Modifying Registry with "reg" file: I exported a HKCU key and saved it as a reg file. I now want to import it to another HDD. Prior to doing this I noticed the properties list in the Receiving system: 1) Contains the same list of items BUT 2) Are in a different order than the exported file. What to confirm...
  9. Setting the time for Windows updates, etc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting the time for Windows updates, etc: Leaving and working in the countryside, I still have an Internet ADSL connection instead of optic fiber, which strongly constrains my bandwidth. Now, almost daily, the 'Host Process for Windows Services' (or something similar to this) totally captures my Internet connection...
  10. Modify Windows 10 pro registries

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Modify Windows 10 pro registries: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please be nice to give me what registers I change in Windows 10 pro for better performance of my laptop. Wait for response! A good day!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update 11-18