Windows 10: Windows 10 update 1809 gone extremely wrong - all personal data wiped clean

Discus and support Windows 10 update 1809 gone extremely wrong - all personal data wiped clean in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, A couple of days ago, I ran Windows Update and ended up installing what seemed to be the October 2018 update of Windows 10. During the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zePh7r, Dec 19, 2018.

1. zePh7r Win User

Windows 10 update 1809 gone extremely wrong - all personal data wiped clean

Hi all,

A couple of days ago, I ran Windows Update and ended up installing what seemed to be the October 2018 update of Windows 10. During the installation procedure, I opted for using the aid of an external drive, as I didn't have enough storage space available in my HDD to cover for all the required disk space. After a series of automated boot-ups (which I considered normal, as similar steps also occurred in previous updates), my PC simply stopped booting-up - now, once it starts the boot-up sequence, it just engages in a booting loop, never going past that. I don't even have the chance to fire-up the system recovery menu - it just boots-up again, in an infinite loop.

My PC is a dual-boot system - I also have OpenSUSE 15.0 installed on it, side by side with Windows 10. After selecting OpenSUSE in the boot manager (because I still have access to GRUB during boot-up) and manually mounting the Windows partition, I suddenly found out that over 90% of my Windows partition is now free space - when it was only about 7-8% before initializing the update process. Plus, after briefly browsing the contents on the Windows partition I concluded all my previous files were gone!

Now, in the root of drive C, one can only find the following folders:

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT

C:\Users

C:\WINDOWS

...and yes, \Users folder is pretty much empty. Only a few junk files left in there.

I panicked and called Microsoft tech support. Although forfeiting all responsibility for any loss of my data, the operator clarified that the external USB pen drive that I used for the purpose of extending the available free space (so that Windows would let me update my system) is included temporarily in the MBR as any other partition/disk, and that possibly my personal files were transferred there and are still there, depending on what stage was the process at when the "malfunction" took place.

I fired-up that same USB pen-drive in a different Windows 10 PC, and found that indeed there are a few files in there, but none I could actually recognize:

Windows 10 update 1809 gone extremely wrong - all personal data wiped clean ff945cd7-891d-4c08-805b-f1396064752f?upload=true.png

I gotta say I'm pretty devastated. Is it possible that everything in my Windows 10 partition has been wiped clean? I certainly didn't expect this to be the outcome of running Windows Update - and I don't remember Windows warning me about the possibility either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

:)

zePh7r, Dec 19, 2018

2. Wipe all personal data from a laptop bfore selling.

Hello community!

I want to sell mt Asus Transformer t100ta and I would like to wipe all my personal data off.

I have bought it about 2 years ago and had windows 8.1 and office 2013 preintalled on it, soformatting and installing a clean verson does not an option because I had a win 8.1 and now win 10.

I would lke to hear any suggestion!!

Thanks a lot!

NikolayChernuha, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Dec 19, 2018
  4. puni Win User

After updating to 1809, file access to the network has gone wrong

I do not know whether this is a problem of 1809 or in my environment, but it came to occur after updating to 1809.

The file access over the network to 1809 has gone wrong.

at 1809 PC

write file to 1803 -> NG

read file from 1803 -> OK

at 1803 PC

write file to 1809 -> OK

read file from 1809 -> NG

Is there anyone who has experienced such a phenomenon?

Is there any solution?

Thema:

1. Windows 10 update 1809 gone extremely wrong - all personal data wiped clean - Similar Threads - update 1809 gone

2. PC with Windows 10 completely wiped of all data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC with Windows 10 completely wiped of all data: Windows 10 updated and has completely wiped all apps, files, and history off my computer and i can not use mail or calendar apps. Every time i restart the PC it deletes all the history and bookmarks again, i have very limited knowledge and no idea where to start to fix this,...
  3. Windows 10 Update Gone Wrong?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Update Gone Wrong?: Hello all! Recently I decided to finally crack open the used windows 7 thinkpad I bought sometime ago. Once I did I immediately ran into constant issues and so I decided to delete everything except for my personal files. I then proceeded to download the media tool off...
  4. undo windows 10 system update that wiped out all data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    undo windows 10 system update that wiped out all data: Hi! My laptop did a system update last night and when I turned it on this morning, all of my files, settings, apps were gone. I don't have a restore point. How do I undo that system update?...
  5. wipe personal data

wipe personal data: I upgraded my HP desktop to windows 10 from windows 7. I now wish to give it to a charity but need to wipe my personal data. I have tried going through settings - recovery - reset but the computer was unable to make any changes. Initially it seemed to be working but then...
  6. Clean install has gone wrong

Clean install has gone wrong: My laptop had these specs Processor Intel i5-5200 CPU @2.20 GHz, Ram 8.0 GB Local Disk 464 GB 78 GG free Windows 10 - not sure of the exact version It was slow so I paid someone to replace the disk with a 1TB SSD one. No good. So I did a clean install and it didn't work. Now...
  7. Clean install has gone wrong

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean install has gone wrong: My laptop had these specs Processor Intel i5-5200 CPU @2.20 GHz, Ram 8.0 GB Local Disk 464 GB 78 GG free Windows 10 - not sure of the exact version It was slow so I paid someone to replace the disk with a 1TB SSD one. No good. So I did a clean install and it didn't work. Now...
  8. Does the Windows 10 Update Assistent wipe all my data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does the Windows 10 Update Assistent wipe all my data?: So its 2020, windows 7 doesn't get anymore updates soon and then there are risks etc. I think it's time for an old windows 7 user like me to transfer to windows 10. So i found the "Windows 10 Update Assistent". My questions are: Does this Assistent still work? Or did...
  9. Need Help, windows gone extremely wrong

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Help, windows gone extremely wrong: Okay, so i desperately need help with this i’ve been trying to fix it for over a month now and nothings helped. It doesn’t matter how many times i reinstall windows each time with a new media creation tool there is always the same problem with Missing system DLLs and can not...
  10. windows 10 update wiped laptop clean

windows 10 update wiped laptop clean: how is it that your latest window 10 update can totally wipe all my documents, data ,photos, videos, even stuff stored in the cloud?? after quick research it appears this has been happening since 2017 and still in 2019. Also why did my system revert to US. format I pay a lot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. all my pics and favourites have been wiped clean

2. windows 10 update 1809 all personal data lost