Windows 10: Windows 10 update 1903 breaks or makes useless HDMI ports

Discus and support Windows 10 update 1903 breaks or makes useless HDMI ports in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; on 8-2-2019 I clicked on the "restart to update" notification. As soon as update finished, i had 2 out of 3 monitors on a triple monitor setup go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WebNetIncome, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 update 1903 breaks or makes useless HDMI ports

on 8-2-2019 I clicked on the "restart to update" notification. As soon as update finished, i had 2 out of 3 monitors on a triple monitor setup go out. Also, i went to the T.V. and it was blank. I had a roku 3 setup with it . I was able to go to second HDMI port and roku 3 worked but on a dull looking screen.

Finally uninstalled the update and got my triple monitor setup back. The T.V. HDMI1 is still not working.

Before I uninstalled the update, I did many recommended steps like unplugging HDMI cords, etc.

This update is an HDMI killer !

Please look into this before this update is forced.

Thank you

:)

WebNetIncome, Aug 4, 2019

2. Windows 10 update 1903 breaks or makes useless HDMI ports

on 8-2-2019 I clicked on the "restart to update" notification. As soon as update finished, i had 2 out of 3 monitors on a triple monitor setup go out. Also, i went to the T.V. and it was blank. I had a roku 3 setup with it . I was able
    to go to second HDMI port and roku 3 worked but on a dull looking screen.

Finally uninstalled the update and got my triple monitor setup back.
    The T.V. HDMI1 is still not working.

Before I uninstalled the update, I did many recommended steps like unplugging HDMI cords, etc.

This update is an HDMI killer !

Please look into this before this update is forced.

Thank you

WebNetIncome, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    HDMI port not installed. Recent updates may be the problem.

Hi GeraldParkhurst,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Which version of Windows you are using on both the computers? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)
    3. Do you see any error messages in device manager after connecting the HDMI cable?

This might have occurred due to some hardware conflicts or driver incompatibility issues. This happens if monitor isn’t getting any input from the currently selected source. To resolve this issue, I would suggest you to follow the
    steps mentioned below.

Method 1: Update drivers.

1. Make sure that the cable are connected with correct ends, output port of the laptop and the input port of the TV/External
    monitor are connected to the right port.

2. While the cable is connected
    open device manager. The problem may occur by the faulty chipset drivers and graphics drivers. Try to update the drivers and check for the issue.

• Press windows and R key together at the keyboard and type:
        devmgmt.msc
      • If you see any display drivers with yellow exclamation sign,
        Update the drivers.
      • Reboot the computer once and check.

Method 2: Change display settings.

1. Press Windows and P key on your keyboard together. You will see a Project option on the right side of the screen.
    2. Select Duplicate or Extend (depends on your requirement) and check.
    3. If it didn’t work, try to
      Change screen resolution and try step 1 and 2
      again.

Method 3: Disconnect and reconnect.

1. Unplug all the TV/monitor cables from the HDMI port.
    2. Unplug the power cable of external monitor or TV for some time.
    3. Plug the power cable back to the computer.
    4. Plug in all the HDMI cables to the computer /TV.
    5. Turn on the device and try Method 2.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Windows 10 update 1903 breaks or makes useless HDMI ports

windows 10 wont recognize hdmi port

Hi Fred,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue could be due to the HDMI driver is outdated. Let’s try the simple troubleshooting method below provided and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run Hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Small icon on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Device.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware troubleshooter.
    And also I suggest you to update HDMI driver from the below provided steps.

Method 2.

• Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

• Expand “ports”.

• Right click on the HDMI device and select
      update.

• Once update is done, restart the computer.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update 1903 breaks or makes useless HDMI ports

1. Windows 10 update 1903 breaks or makes useless HDMI ports - Similar Threads - update 1903 breaks

2. hdmi port not working after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hdmi port not working after windows 10 update: Solution is to un-install the January 2024 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-port-not-working-after-windows-10-update/0b531f1d-cfbf-4c4f-b4cf-5b7e586069cb
  3. hdmi port not working after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hdmi port not working after windows 10 update: Solution is to un-install the January 2024 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-port-not-working-after-windows-10-update/0b531f1d-cfbf-4c4f-b4cf-5b7e586069cb
  4. hdmi port not working after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. HDMI ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI ports: i am having a issue with one of my HDMI ports. i have two, but only one is working. i cant connect anything via that port. i cant use my second monitor. it just doesnt want to connect to anything....
  6. HDMI Port

HDMI Port: Is it possible to hook up a USB 3.0 adapter to a HDMI female port on my laptop by way of some device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-port/91340db1-1ef4-4b85-b00e-cf115a6aa5f7
  7. Windows 10 1903 Breaks an application

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1903 Breaks an application: Hi, I did an update to Windows 10 1903-18362.239 and it broke one of our applications with and Entry Point Not Found Error. I tried compatibility settings to fix the error but this did not work. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 to a new SSD drive and installed only...
  8. Windows 1903 Update Breaks Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 1903 Update Breaks Computer: Hi, I recently updated my computer from Windows 10 1809 to 1903 and it doesnt work anymore. Whenever i try to turn it on, I always get a blue screen. I do have a theory of what went wrong as I do have an eGPU connected (EXP GDC/GTX 670) and during the installation of the...
  9. HDMI Port

HDMI Port: My HDMI port on my Dell laptop has stopped working after a Microsoft upgrade in April. It does not recognise it at all. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hdmi-port/88ad78b8-7c10-4bb7-a3d8-267ea9e451b0
  10. Windows 10 HDMI Port

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 HDMI Port: Hello all you experts I am not a very technical person I have upgraded to Windows 10, 2 days ago and it generally works fine so far, however my HDMI Port will not link with my Television as it did 2 days ago. when I plug into the port it makes a sound like something...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why doesnt windows 1903 support hdmi

2. why is windows 10 update 1903 useless