Windows 10: Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help?

Discus and support Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello. I tried to install the 2004 feature update for Windows 10, it took a while and eventually after a couple reboots it got to a BSOD. PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/PM-Me-Your_PMs, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help?

Hello.

I tried to install the 2004 feature update for Windows 10, it took a while and eventually after a couple reboots it got to a BSOD.

PC restarted and got a "Recovering settings" while booting with the Windows 10 loading wheel, so it never applied the update and rolled back to the previous version.

Once I got into Windows, one of my HD partitions was broken. The system could see it but I couldn't open it with explorer or access contents. Luckily it wasn't an important partition, so I formatted it and that fixed it.

Other than that, since this happened my system seems to be working fine, but everytime I boot it I get this error at startup:

https://imgur.com/a/Rhe9GIK

Did some research but couldn't find anything... Nothing happens, once I close the message my system runs fine.

Any help? Thank you!

I retried the update: this time it didn't even try to install it. PC rebooted, went straight into the BIOS which weirdly was showing 0MB Ram available (like it couldn't see it). I chose "Discard changes and exit" and once again, "Recovering settings" and back to previous build. No broken partitions this time, but still showing the explorer.exe error at startup.

----

Specs:

CPU: 3900x - Video: 1080ti - Memory: 64gb

Running Windows 10 version 1909 - build 18363.900

submitted by /u/PM-Me-Your_PMs
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/PM-Me-Your_PMs, Jun 30, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

Download Windows 10 TH/RS

For the convenience of not having to use the installation media for startup repairs. But you should be able to use your installation media to do whatever the recovery partition does(including startup repairs). AFAIK. I could be wrong about that though.
    I'm not sure if I follow you there. But if you clean install Windows 10 there will be at least 3 partitions.
    • (EFI System Partition)
    • (Primary Partition)
    • (Recovery/OEM Partition)
    If you install from an OEM installation media there might(should?) be 4 partitions. Since there might(should?) be a Recovery partition and an OEM partition.

Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help? partitions-10-png.png

Back on topic...

Download May 8 CU KB4103721 x64 (326.5MB)

Brings system to 17134.48

List of improvements and fixes found here.

MrGenius, Jun 30, 2020
  3. 2004 update windows 10 error 0x80070002

Step 7, in folder from which you executed.

Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help? [​IMG]

Caledon Ken, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help?

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help?

1. Windows 10 Update 2004: BSOD + Broken partition and explorer.exe error at startup - any help? - Similar Threads - Update 2004 BSOD

2. EXE files are broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    EXE files are broken: So I looked up a tutorial on how to fix a exe file because I was having trouble with one, but no I cant open any of them submitted by /u/Sufficient-Start7680 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/khk0rf/exe_files_are_broken/
  3. AcroRd32.exe not working with Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    AcroRd32.exe not working with Windows 10 2004: Our Navision based ERP software has been using a built-in Acrobat Reader for ages. It is really old, as in version 4.05 but the last one that could be used for such purpose without worrying about licensing. With the release of Windows 10 feature update 2004 the application...
  4. Update 2004 and still no HomeGroup Solution. Any Help?

Update 2004 and still no HomeGroup Solution. Any Help?: We all know that Microsoft, for all the good things they do, whacked us pretty hard when they dropped us from using HomeGroup. Is there a workaround in this era of forcing us out of the convenience to share files with other users in our home? I've tried one from youtube but...
  5. Windows 10 update 2004 black screen on startup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update 2004 black screen on startup.: I'm very angry with the way Microsoft has released this new update. I've HP pavillion x360 laptop Specs are as follow: Intel i3 8th gen Nvidia 2gb graphics card Seagate 1 tb sshd Synaptic fingerprint sensor Ok so first of all I had full trust in the...
  6. Windows 10 Update 2004 - Broken Cellular System

Windows 10 Update 2004 - Broken Cellular System: After upgrading numerous laptop to Windows 10 v2004, the cellular system has stopped working. I have updated drivers, fw, and reset the network settings. I have tested the sim card in a mobile device and it works fine. Please can someone assist. [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows 10 2004 update help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 update help: Split from this thread. My laptop started installing the 2004 update but after downloading, the installation ran for 2 hours after which the screen turned off. I gav e it time and until now, after about 17 hours, the screen is still of and i can't tell whether it's finished...
  8. pls help with 2004 update error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    pls help with 2004 update error: i tried everything the last few days but i keep getting this error while installing the update in settings (0x800704db) submitted by /u/Zombie6661 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gu1c95/pls_help_with_2004_update_error/
  9. Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon

Windows 10 Missing/Broken EXE Icon: Just the other day an icon for a game I just installed disappeared only a couple days after installing it. The Change Icon screen shows the actual icon, but both the EXE and shortcut show a blank/white icon. However, here's the strange part, making acopy of the EXE shows the...
  10. file explorer is broken! help!

file explorer is broken! help!: so today i was trying to see my files via file explorer, when i realized it wasnt working, here is a videoof it happening click here to see the video https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-is-broken-help/2dbd40fb-b492-4fad-a000-f600e0914591"