Windows 10: Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension

Discus and support Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; My computer installed the update 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension this morning. I discovered this after finding that the computer had rebooted... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by JohnMacgregor6, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension

My computer installed the update 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension this morning. I discovered this after finding that the computer had rebooted itself. Although well protected against virus' and the like, I could find no information about why the reboot happened. Upon investigation, I found no indication in View Update History that anything had been applied to the system. Reviewing the System Event Log, I found three entries that indicate that the Windows Update Client installed 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension, which caused the reboot to happen. There is no no indications of an update listed in the Microsoft Update Catalog for W10-20H2 x64. The latest updates prior to this on my system were KB4601319 and KB890830 on 20210210. I understand, after researching HEIF, what the intent of the update is for. However, there is no KB document on the update that I've been able to find and zero documentation on why this was installed through automated processes originating from Microsoft and why the system hasn't updated the update history. I'd very much like an explanation as I am concerned that this may actually be an infection.

Addendum: I have traced the source of the installation to the Microsoft Store which states that "HEIF Image Extensions" has been installed from the "Microsoft Corporation->Utilities & Tools" group of applications. An installation history has not been given. I did not order this app. I do use some applications that may but should not have installed this in the background, specifically: 1 iTunes 12.11.0.26 last updated 20201120 2 Blender 2.91.0 last updated 20201205 3 DaVinci Resolve Free 17.0B9 BETA last updated 202102130. However, none of these applications indicate support for the HEIF format. None of them report background updates. All require manual installation for an update process to occur. This was not an update of a previously installed version of the application.

:)

JohnMacgregor6, Feb 18, 2021

2. Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Feb 18, 2021
  3. Reefer86 Win User
    Reefer86, Feb 18, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Feb 18, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension

1. Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension - Similar Threads - Update 20210218 9pmmsr1cgpwg

2. Microsoft Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Windows 10 updates: My Windows 10 laptop was rebooted and updated yesterday July 30, 2021. No update information was provided. Where can I find out what the update was? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-windows-10-updates/de44f5d5-0d41-40ab-ba28-31bc4b22f3bf
  3. Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension

Windows 10 Update 20210218: 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension: My computer installed the update 9pmmsr1cgpwg-Microsoft.heifimageextension this morning. I discovered this after finding that the computer had rebooted itself. Although well protected against virus' and the like, I could find no information about why the reboot happened. Upon...
  4. Microsoft Windows 10 Updates

Microsoft Windows 10 Updates: Is it standard to get updates that 'work on it for two hours' then just as that is over, says it has updates to help your machine on internet safety and improve machine capability which takes another ten minutes? yet I see no improvement at all, and I'm realising that the...
  5. Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Microsoft Windows 10 updates: My Windows 10 laptop restarted and updated on November 15, 2020. No information was provided on the update. Where can I find out what the update was? Is there a list of updates available? Graham...
  6. Microsoft Window-10 update problem

Microsoft Window-10 update problem: Dear Concern, Microsoft office is crashing and printing problem due to Window-10 update, please check the problem as early possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-window-10-update-problem/eea0013a-1ec8-4679-9467-10fc94744ead
  7. windows 10 updates & microsoft .NET updates

windows 10 updates & microsoft .NET updates: windows 10 updates & microsoft .NET updates Exe C:\9cb86ec66044417c90e3e5e7d7\x64-Windows10.0-KB4486129-x64.cab failed with 0x3f1...
  8. Microsoft Windows 10 updates.

Microsoft Windows 10 updates.: Is there any way I can opt out of your windows 10 updates. I just spent over $200 having an IT guy square away my computer after Microsoft updated Windows 10. I lost almost all of my files and all of my settings. Each time there is a further update my recent files...
  9. Microsoft Windows 10 Update

Microsoft Windows 10 Update: I am unable to update my windows nowadays. It says your pc is not supported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-windows-10-update/c926ec24-61dd-4080-94ad-189ba0fb56b6
  10. Microsoft Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Windows 10 updates: Cumulative Update KB4505056 was installed by Microsoft. After restart computer, all Desktop Icons were covered over and failure in trying to use Properties, change Icon failed. However, uninstalling KB4505056 enabled Desktop Icons to be remedied and work normally. Is...