Windows 10: Windows 10 update 20h2 wants to delete everything and start clean.

Discus and support Windows 10 update 20h2 wants to delete everything and start clean. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I went to update my Windows and was told my machine is ready for Windows 10 update 20h2. However once the update downloaded and went through it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HannoverFisst, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Windows 10 update 20h2 wants to delete everything and start clean.

I went to update my Windows and was told my machine is ready for Windows 10 update 20h2. However once the update downloaded and went through it's steps, I was prompted to 'Choose what to keep' and the ONLY option is NOTHING: Everything will be deleted, including files, apps and settings.

The option to keep personal files and apps and keeps personal files only are greyed out. Only the option to delete everything is available so what the heck?

I am not deleting everything and I'm not even sure why Windows would do this during an upgrade. None of my other devices prompted for this so why is this happening?

Windows 10 Pro

Any help would be appreciated!

:)

HannoverFisst, Dec 21, 2020
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Dec 21, 2020
  3. m4gicfour Win User
    Windows 10 forced download

^This, then reboot and go to manually update windows. Find KB3035583 in the list of available updates, right-click and "Hide this update" so it doesn't get installed again next go around.

m4gicfour, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Windows 10 update 20h2 wants to delete everything and start clean.

Windows 10 forced download

To stop the download, uninstall the KB3035583 update (under "Control Panel > Windows Update > Installed Updates").

To get rid of the C:\$Windows.~BT folder:
    • Right-click on your C: drive.
    • Select "Properties".
    • Click on [ Disk Cleanup ]
    • After the initial scan: If you have a [ Clean up system files ] button, click it and wait for the second scan to finish.
    • Scroll down the list and look for "Temporary Windows installation files" (its size should be in the gigabytes range); check the box.
    • Click on [ OK ] to start the clean-up.

Static~Charge, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update 20h2 wants to delete everything and start clean.

1. Windows 10 update 20h2 wants to delete everything and start clean. - Similar Threads - update 20h2 wants

2. Windows 10 V 20H2 will always fail to update - tried everything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 V 20H2 will always fail to update - tried everything: Hello... My Windows 10 computer keeps trying to install Windows 10 V 20H2 update and it always fails. I have tried all the usual fixes. When I run the Windows update trouble shooter, it finds some problems and tells me to try the install again. But it keeps failing. I...
  3. Update 20h2 clean restart

Update 20h2 clean restart: I updated my computer from Windows 10 version SDK 2004 to 20h2 and, to my surprise, I saw that all of my app info and storage--for the most part--was gone. I immediately downgraded to the version I had before and now everything is back to normal. Does the update require the...
  4. Starting as clean as I want to go on with Windows 10

Starting as clean as I want to go on with Windows 10: So, here is my situation. I have a custom made computer that has never been started up, and has NO operating system on it. I know what I want it to look like. Or I know just enough to THINK I know what I want. The plan/dream iswas this. Install a completely clean...
  5. Want To Clean Install Windows 10

Want To Clean Install Windows 10: I wanted to Clean install Windows 10 again on Same laptop ,i have few questions 1. Do I need Product key for Clean installation of windows 10 on same laptop? 2. I Don't remember which Microsoft account i used for windows at time of activation of HP laptop, will this affect...
  6. updates deletes everything

updates deletes everything: Hi I bought my laptop a year ago and every time I install updates I lose EVERYTHING in my DOCUMENTS and DOWNLOADS folders. This is starting to wreck my head! Can you explain to me how to STOP the stupid updates apart from ignoring the message that says 'windows needs to...
  7. Windows 10 20H2 update start menu error

Windows 10 20H2 update start menu error: Hello, 2 days before i got the 20H2 update. I have read the article about it and found that it has a new feature, that is a transparent start menu, etc.. I have got all the new features, but the start menu is still opaque, which should be transparent. How to make the start...
  8. Windows update deletes everything

Windows update deletes everything: Windows 10 is forcing an update every few days and each update results in the deletion of all my documents, pics, settings etc. Extremely aggravating. How can i resolve this? I have a software product to recover docs but what I really need is to stop the update process...
  9. getting rid of computer and want to delete everything

in Windows 10 Customization
    getting rid of computer and want to delete everything: how do I delete everything on computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-rid-of-computer-and-want-to-delete/805e5284-5ea5-46b0-8e95-dff20370f71d
  10. Everything deleted after update, and it continues to delete everything today.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Everything deleted after update, and it continues to delete everything today.: After the Windows 10 update, everything I had saved to my desktop was gone as were all my settings. Restored files, opened Outlook, Quicken, MS Office, etc., again and recreated accounts, configurations, and files. Do a soft or hard reboot and everything is deleted again....