Windows 10: Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades?

Discus and support Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I reinstalled windows 10 fresh because I upgraded my Dell 3147 from a slow 5400 rpm HD to a faster 8gb 5400 rpm SSHD ( yes its faster for sure)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DRFP, Sep 23, 2015.

1. DRFP Win User

Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades?

I reinstalled windows 10 fresh because I upgraded my Dell 3147 from a slow 5400 rpm HD to a faster 8gb 5400 rpm SSHD ( yes its faster for sure)

Anyway I went to Windows update and now found "Defer Upgrades" will this stop the driver updates for a while? How long if it does.

I cannot find the reference but other Home users are saying this option had appeared so maybe MS listened to us for once and have compromised on automatic updates.

:)

2. Issues with Windows 10 updates

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with windows updates.

Sometimes windows updates do cause issue, however installing these (security) updates are important to keep the computer secure.

If you are using any of the Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10. You may
    defer the upgrades.

Please be informed that updates(security and feature) will be automatically installed in Windows 10 Home. No option to defer updates in Home edition

However if you are using the Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10 you may use the “Defer upgrades” option. All new feature updates will be deferred by enabling this option.

NOTE: Please be informed that important
    security updates will be automatically installed even though defer upgrade option is enabled, However only new
    feature updates will be deferred by enabling this option.

If the setting to defer upgrades is turned off, To make sure this setting is on, select the Start button , then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options, and place a tick mark for Defer upgrades

Defer upgrades in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Sep 23, 2015
  3. Feb 9 2016 forcing updates on pro version, options to sleep, update and restart or update and shut down

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me assist you on your query regarding Windows updates.

When the updates are downloaded and are ready to be installed you will get these (update and restart, update and shutdown) option, However you may schedule the update on a different date and time by accessing the windows updates in settings.

Did you enable defer upgrades option and are you still getting updates?

Please be informed that security updates will be automatically installed in Windows 10 professional even though defer upgrade option is enabled, However only new feature updates will be deferred by enabling this option.

If the setting to defer upgrades is turned off, make sure this setting is on, select the Start button , then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options, and place a tick mark for Defer upgrades.

Defer upgrades in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Sep 23, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Microsoft explains the “Defer upgrades” option in this way:

Defer upgrades in Windows 10 - Windows Help -

Since driver updates usually are not security relevant, I would say that deferring upgrades also deferres (nearly) all driver updates. What Microsoft has changed a few days ago, is that users of the home edition can disable the automatic update of Apps through the Windows Store. Anyway, users of the Home edition, cannot defer Windows Updates. This is unchanged.

However, note the following:
    If you in fact only want to stop driver updates from installing as opposed to disabling all updates, then you can disable automatic driver updates as described here: Stop automatic driver updates on Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

Joergi, Sep 23, 2015
  5. DRFP Win User
    I have Windows 10 home identified on my System page.......... I have defer Upgrades option now and choose it, working on upgrading my Wifes Windows 10 home, it does not have it right now but if once up to date it does then its something MS put out recently

6. Joergi Win User
    I have checked before I wrote you that this option is not available in the Home edition. For me, with a PC with all updates installed, it is not available.

Joergi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Update and Defer Upgrades? - Similar Threads - Update Defer Upgrades

2. Defer Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defer Windows Updates: What's the current suggested length of time to defer updates on Windows 10 Pro -- -- feature updates? -- quality updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defer-windows-updates/2f3fc815-d936-4d75-a3bb-b77513deb6f3
  3. How to Defer or Delay Windows 10 October 2018 Update or Feature Upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    How to Defer or Delay Windows 10 October 2018 Update or Feature Upgrades: [ATTACH] You can use the Defer Updates option in your Settings, to delay the installation of Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 on your computer. Some of you may want to adopt the policy of wait-and-watch and read the reports about [...] This post How to Defer or Delay...
  4. Deferring Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deferring Updates: Hi guys, I apologise if this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find clarity on the answer we require. We have recently upgraded to the latest creators fall feature update and unfortunately for us it pushed its self through with a restart when one of PCs was on...
  5. How to Defer Windows 10 Updates

How to Defer Windows 10 Updates: Hi Everyone, I know that you can´t defer updates in Home edition but you can on the others. I found this article and I was wondering if I can stop when I enable defer upgrades or do I have to do absolutely everything in the article. Thanks in advance. *Smile How to take...
  6. Help with defer upgrade setting on Windows 10 Pro

Help with defer upgrade setting on Windows 10 Pro: Hey guys, How can I re-enable this checkbox? I haven't been able to find any info on getting the checkbox re-enabled in 10 pro. [img] 35832
  7. Deferring Upgrades Question

Deferring Upgrades Question: In Windows Update > Advanced Options > there used to be an option to "Defer Upgrades" , but it is gone now. Any idea where it went? On the option to "Defer Upgrades": I would rather defer any build upgrade until a time that I can supervise the install, and I don't...
  8. Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades

Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades: I was trying to update to anniversary update but it's not updating until i checked the defer upgrade the update works now, so why is it defer upgrades worked opposite? 94358
  9. Defer updates

Defer updates: Something I just experienced and wondering about how or why it can be this way. I have had 10 on my machine for a month or more now. Just finished upgrading my wife's a couple of hours ago. Identical computers as far as make,model etc. Did a check for updates on mine just...
  10. Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option

Meaning of the "Defer upgrades" option: Hi In the "Advanced options" of "Windows Update" there is the "Defer upgrades" option. If I select, what happens? Thanks Bye 8161