Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Assistant Closing By Itself

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Assistant Closing By Itself in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've been running my PC on an older version of windows 10 2018 for a while now, and have decided to update my computer. Seeing that the normal windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joe Kelso, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Joe Kelso Win User

Windows 10 Update Assistant Closing By Itself

I've been running my PC on an older version of windows 10 2018 for a while now, and have decided to update my computer. Seeing that the normal windows 10 update process never managed to make it past 60% before it would die and send me back where i started, i decided to use the windows update assistant tool located at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 to update my pc manually. I saw that the program would let me work while it downloaded the update, so i waited and did some other stuff in the background while it updated. About 15 minutes ago i noticed that the update tool had closed itself without my knowledge, but my pc hadn't restarted to finish installing the updates. What should I do? The assistant did say that I could "Install the updates at any time", but neglected to tell me how to do so. Did it simply crash like every other windows update? Is it still working in the background? Is it ready to install? A little help would be lovely.

:)

Joe Kelso, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 25, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, May 25, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Update Assistant Closing By Itself - Similar Threads - Update Assistant Closing

2. Task manager closes itself on WIndows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task manager closes itself on WIndows 10: I open the tsmg and it just closes after about 5 minutes without even touching it. I scanned the files and they are ok, also I deleted and reinstalled all microsoft distributives c++, but nothing is helping. I start to think that the only way to fix it is to reinstall the...
  3. Task manager closes itself on WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task manager closes itself on WIndows 10: I open the tsmg and it just closes after about 5 minutes without even touching it. I scanned the files and they are ok, also I deleted and reinstalled all microsoft distributives c++, but nothing is helping. I start to think that the only way to fix it is to reinstall the...
  4. Task manager closes itself on WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Defender closes itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender closes itself: Hey everyone! The other day, I was trying to download a file that one of my friends sent to me. I downloaded it, but it got instantly deleted by Windows Defender. I know that it's not a virus, so I tried to enable it in Windows Defender. the option called "allow on device"...
  6. Focus Assist on Windows 10 Turning on by itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Focus Assist on Windows 10 Turning on by itself: Hi Microsoft Community! I am Hardik. I recently purchased MSI Modern 14 and it is operating on Windows 10 and every time I start my laptop, I see that focus assist is turned on by itself. I have tried restarting it several times but that is not helping me out with the...
  7. Programme closing itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Programme closing itself: I recently reinstalled Panorama Maker4 on my PC, which I used to use before updating to Windows10. I have a disc to load the software from, that came with a camera. Once installed on the PC, when I click on the shortcut the programme opens up, and I breifly see the normal...
  8. Internet closing by itself

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Internet closing by itself: When I am on the internet (either Edge or Firefox), I can be reading something and the internet just closes. I can reopen the internet again and it will usually take me back to where I was. How can I stop this or is this just something else I just have to live with (don't...
  9. Can't close MS Windows 10 Update Assistance after finishing updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't close MS Windows 10 Update Assistance after finishing updating: There is no X to close splash window after this app have done its work to update Windows to 1809. In Notification for Taskbar there is no option to exit or stop this app when it is minimised (only "Details"). Text in Slash window is also too large in the last stage to...
  10. Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings in Windows 10 closes itself ever since the recent update: My laptop was recently forcefully updated and it's effectively crippled my device in more ways than one. Nice update policy by the way, Microsoft T_T. Anyway, I'm trying to get into the settings to see if something in Windows Defender isn't interfering with Google Chrome...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update assistant closing itself