Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Assistant stuck 99%

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Assistant stuck 99% in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On an ASUS laptop, when I went to Windows Update, it said I needed to download the Windows 10 Update Assistant because my Windows 10 was "out of date".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ornithophilia, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Update Assistant stuck 99%

On an ASUS laptop, when I went to Windows Update, it said I needed to download the Windows 10 Update Assistant because my Windows 10 was "out of date". It led me to Microsoft.com to download it. Once downloaded, I ran it.

Last night it was at 99% and I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, it still was at 99%.

After Googling the problem, I followed a video tutorial telling me to stop the Windows Update service. However, I am unable to stop the Windows Update service. When I tried to do so, I got the following error message:

"Window could not stop the Window Update service on local computer. Error 1053. The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

And it will not let me stop it again. There is no option to. It is stuck at "stopping" and the only option when I right click Windows Update in services is "properties"

I Googled that error message and only unrelated information showed up. Throwing quotes around it made Google say "No results for" "searching without quotes" and the same junk results. Even throwing quotes around just "Window could not stop the Window Update service on local computer." said "no results for" "searching without quotes"

There seems to be no information regarding this error message nor any other option to get the ball rolling.

How do I get the ball rolling?

:)

Ornithophilia, Feb 7, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Windows 10 update stall at 99%

Hi Trevor,

Please answer these question to assist you better.

When you say 'update to Windows 10 stalling at 99%' are you referring to upgrade to Windows 10 is stuck or unable to update Windows to different builds?

If your upgrade to Windows 10 Is stuck at 99% then refer the link below suggested by
    Ander Da Costa on May 6, 2016 and follow the steps suggested.

Upgrade to Windows 10 gets stuck at 99%

If you are referring to Windows updates then follow the steps and check.

Run the Update Troubleshooter on the computer.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Update. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Windows update.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Do let us know the status of the issue to assist you further. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Shoaib Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%

Here is what I've learnt about upgrading to Windows 10, in the past few days.

Media Creation Tool

The good thing is that the upgrade completes smoothly once the download has completed.

The bad thing is that it doesn't resume interrupted downloads. The download is over 3GB which is almost 3x the amount downloaded by UpgradeAssistant.

Common Problems<br>
    Once interrupted (esp. crashed or rebooted) you won't be able to launch the tool again without manually deleting the $Windows.BT and $Windows.~WS folders first. However, in order to delete these folders you'll need to use Process Explorer (from sysinternals) and forcefully close all open handles to files in these folders. Search for "$Windows." and close every handle that you find.

In my case, after each interruption (I had four) it would add 3.02GB to the download - basically start downloading +1 BITSXYZ.tmp files. With 5 downloads of over 15GB I had to say goodbye to this method as nothing I did could reset the tool to its initial state.

Don't use this method unless you have a reliable power-source and good internet.

Upgrade Assistant App

Very good at resuming broken downloads and it downloads only what is needed for your system therefore a much faster method. The downside is that the upgrade isn't a smooth process.

Common Problems<br>
    Upgrade will get stuck at 99% and there doesn't seem to be a single solution that works for everyone. First, its better to resolve missing driver issues before upgrading (as suggested by other answers). Here is what I did to get past 99%.

1. Let it run for sufficiently long time say 3 hours.
    2. Set startup type for the windows service: "Windows Update" to "manual" for the duration of the upgrade, this will prevent it restarting itself when you perform the next step.
    3. Stop the windows service: "Windows Update" and wait a couple of minutes
    4. If this doesn't help start the service again.
    5. Use process-explorer to kill SetupHost.exe that is a child of WindowsUpgradeAssistantApp.exe.
    6. Wait for the assistant to report "Something went wrong," and use the "Try Again" option. This should repeat the usual download, verify and install cycle except that at about 45% a blue interface will popup.

The new popup UI will start in "Getting Updates," phase and believe it or not there are far more reported incidents of that getting stuck. To resolve it:

1. Stop "Windows Update" service
    2. Clear all contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"
    3. Start the service again (if needed).

This should hopefully unblock the tool, but it will come back to the "Getting Updates" state again. Give it some time and if it gets stuck again, follow Step 1 and 3-4.

Once past this point the "real upgrade" would begin and hopefully that would be a smooth process.

Shoaib, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Update Assistant stuck 99%

Windows 10 Update Assistant stuck at 99%

Hi,

There's a possibility that the issue you're experiencing with the Windows 10 Update Assistant is due to a corrupted update file. To help you rectify the issue, please follow the troubleshooting steps present in this
    support article. The link has instructions
    on how to troubleshoot the exact issue you're experiencing on Windows 10 Update Assistant.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update Assistant stuck 99%

1. Windows 10 Update Assistant stuck 99% - Similar Threads - Update Assistant stuck

2. Windows 11 update assistant stuck at 99%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update assistant stuck at 99%: Windows 11 installation assistant stuck at 99% for about 4 hours. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-update-assistant-stuck-at-99/102f04cb-5225-4ddf-8281-7093956f31b5
  3. Windows 11 update assistant stuck at 99%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update assistant stuck at 99%: Windows 11 installation assistant stuck at 99% for about 4 hours. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-update-assistant-stuck-at-99/102f04cb-5225-4ddf-8281-7093956f31b5
  4. Windows 11 installation assistant stuck at 99%

Windows 11 installation assistant stuck at 99%: Windows 11 installation assistant stuck at 99%, even it has run overnight and it got stucked there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-installation-assistant-stuck-at-99/59e177f1-8b28-431c-99ea-9b7638f065c3
  5. windows 10 21h2 installing stuck at 99% in windows 10 update assistant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 21h2 installing stuck at 99% in windows 10 update assistant: please tell me what can I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-21h2-installing-stuck-at-99-in-windows/89e68064-a8da-4d7d-bc35-c93d92372bda
  6. windows 10 21h2 installing stuck at 99% in windows 10 update assistant

windows 10 21h2 installing stuck at 99% in windows 10 update assistant: please tell me what can I do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-21h2-installing-stuck-at-99-in-windows/89e68064-a8da-4d7d-bc35-c93d92372bda
  7. windows 10 21h2 installing stuck at 99% in windows 10 update assistant

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 Update Assistant is stuck at 99%

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Update Assistant is stuck at 99%: Windows Updates are important for pushing changes and security updates. However, while attempting to upgrade the operating system through the Windows 10 Update Assistant some users get the error Windows 10 Update Assistant may get stuck at 99%. If you encounter the same...
  9. Windows Update On Update assistant stuck on 99%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update On Update assistant stuck on 99%: I have been doing this update for approximately 5 hours and now it has been stuck on 99% for about an hour and a half. Please any help? I have a Surface pro 5...
  10. Windows update assistant stuck at 99%

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update assistant stuck at 99%: I have been trying all night to update my already windows 10 pc to the new update. I downloaded the update assistant and it has been stuck at 99% for hours. I really need help as now I am afraid I will lose everything if I reboot. I only have access to a wifi connection...