Windows 10: Windows 10 update breaks Search and VMware Workstation

Discus and support Windows 10 update breaks Search and VMware Workstation in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; On September 26, Microsoft shipped KB4517211, an optional cumulative update for Windows 10 with a fix for audio issues and other problems, but it looks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Oct 5, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 update breaks Search and VMware Workstation

On September 26, Microsoft shipped KB4517211, an optional cumulative update for Windows 10 with a fix for audio issues and other problems, but it looks like the software update is hardly the smooth experience users had hoped for.

Earlier this week we learned that several users experienced problems when printing a document or picture as the print spooler service failed. Some users who have Windows 10 KB4517211 installed are also reporting other issues, including a bug that causes Windows Search and VMWare Workstation to fail.

Windows Desktop Search may continue to display blank results to any query or it would fail to launch on PCs after applying Windows 10 September 26 update. Users have reported problems with Windows Search and Cortana on Microsoft community forum and as well as Feedback Hub.

“After installing kb4517211 and rebooting, you cannot type anything into the search field. You can’t even get your cursor in there,” a user said on Feedback.

“Forced to uninstall and then block the cumulative update KB4517211 because it causes search not to work from the taskbar search icon (search window not displayed), nor from just typing on Windows Start Menu,” another user chimed in with a similar problem.

VMWare Workstation

Windows 10 customers are now reporting an even more annoying problem for devices already running this cumulative update. The update also kills VMWare Workstation on various configurations, according to several posts on Microsoft community forum and Feedback Hub.

Users are receiving the following error when launching VMWare Workstation Pro:

“VMware Workstation Pro can’t run on Windows: Check for an updated version of this app that runs on Windows,” reads a notification from Windows Compatibility Assistant.

For the time being, you cannot resolve these issues on your devices. The only thing you can do is to roll back a previous of Windows 10, either September Patch Tuesday edition or a previous release. To uninstall the patch, follow these steps:

• Open Update & Security Settings app and go to View update history.
    • Next, click on Uninstall updates.
    • Choose the update (KB4517211) you want to uninstall.
    • Click the Uninstall button on Control Panel.
    • Click on Yes to confirm your decision.
    • Restart your device to go back to the previous build.

Microsoft is yet to acknowledge the issues and it remains unclear if this is a widespread issue.

It’s also worth noting that Microsoft recently released a Windows 10 update that resolves Printer issue but breaks Start menu.

The post Windows 10 update breaks Search and VMware Workstation appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Oct 5, 2019
  2. DanV64 Win User

Update 1903 refuses to install, reason VMWare Workstation Pro 10

Hi Igor,

I was maybe not clear: the 1903 update cannot be done.

At "Status: installing -25%" I get a message that VMWare Workstation Pro is outdated.

If I try to continue the Windows update, it always stops on the VMWare message. It shows 2 main links. One of the links leads to the site of VMWare and invites to download VMWare Player 14 (which does not support Windows 2000). The other one tells me that
    the concerned "app" has to be updated or uninstalled.

My aim: continue de Windows Pro update 1903 without updating or uninstalling VMWare Workstation Pro 10.

Kind regards

Dan

DanV64, Oct 5, 2019
  3. dhjohns Win User
    VMWare workstation 11 no internet.

VMWare Workstation 12 is out now, which fully supports Windows 10. I suggest upgrading to 12.

dhjohns, Oct 5, 2019
  4. sml156 Win User

Configure VMware Workstation

That must be one hefty machine, With the roles you want Server 2012 r2 that will be a minimum of 4 gigs and 7 and 8.1 are at least 1gig each.

But that's not what you asked, I would search the web for a good tutorial on creating a Home lab with VMware 12 and Windows server 2012 R2

sml156, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update breaks Search and VMware Workstation - Similar Threads - update breaks Search

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  4. Windows 10 Pro version 2004 breaking VMware Workstation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Pro version 2004 breaking VMware Workstation: Since updating to that version of Windows 10, I have not been able to use VMware, it says to disable device/credential guard, even though they were disabled before the update. Did the update reset the settings? It has not done this for other updates. for me at least...
  5. Activate Windows 10 in VMWare Workstation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10 in VMWare Workstation: I installed LINUX on a brand new Lenovo X1, read the procuct key and tried to activate Windows 10 Pro at the same Hardware in an VM. Unfortunately I also used the wrong Microsoft ID with the same E-Mail account . The wrong Microsoft ID is now set to switch off in July, I 'm...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 license to vmware workstation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 license to vmware workstation: I would like to transfer my license from my laptop to a virtual machine VMware Workstation. My hard drive failed on my laptop and I have decided to run Windows 10 under a virtual machine instead fo directly on the laptop. I installed Windows 10 on a virtual machine, but...
  7. Windows 10 on VMware Workstation with a 'fake' username

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 on VMware Workstation with a 'fake' username: Sometimes I wish to make and post/upload screenshots and / or a short video. With screenshots, I can remove my name using whatever screen capturing tool. This is more complicated though with videos. Maybe users with more advanced experience know how to blank the user name...
  8. Configure VMware Workstation

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Configure VMware Workstation: Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation. I have to do a setup for networking...
  9. VMWare Workstation 10.4

VMWare Workstation 10.4: VMWare Workstation 10.4 is on the street. Up and running, and at the moment haven't had any problems running any OS. 2753
  10. vmware workstation 12.5.2

vmware workstation 12.5.2: Hi folks If you are running Linux Hosts this version of VMWARE workstation (and similar release of vmplayer) seems to have fixed problems of "wobbly mouse" etc -- also when scrolling inside the GUEST in windowed mode --I.E Windowed mode WITHIN the guest the scroll is...