Windows 10: Windows 10 update bricks HP laptop - no Office, Settings, Wifi...

Discus and support Windows 10 update bricks HP laptop - no Office, Settings, Wifi... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Last week my daughter's laptop initiated a Windows Update. This appeared to OK until the restart, when it entered a loop - “Attempting to recover... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by thelordgiveth, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Windows 10 update bricks HP laptop - no Office, Settings, Wifi...

Last week my daughter's laptop initiated a Windows Update. This appeared to OK until the restart, when it entered a loop - “Attempting to recover installation”, “Restoring previous version of Windows” then another reboot attempt ad infinitum.

I changed the boot settings and booted from an installation disk (created via the Media Creation Tool) and got to the repair options. Uninstalling a Windows Update failed. System Restore (to a point before the update) executed but failed to solve the problem.

I than managed to put it in Safe Mode and tried booting from hard disk. To my surprise, despite showing "Safe Mode" on screen, it went into exactly the same loop. In other words, trying to restore Windows trumped Safe Mode.

Next port of call - the Kyhi recover disk, booting into Windows PE. This has at least enabled me to copy data and (though it probably is a waste of time now) creating drive images via the disk's inbuilt Macrium. I don't think there is anything else useful i can do with it at this stage.

I was continually retrying a hard disk boot after each attempt. Nothing doing - until yesterday morning when it booted up successfully, at least to the extent of asking me to sign in and getting to the desktop.

Problem solved? Of course not! Here is a little smorgasboard of what won't work:
    - Office applications simply fail to open (whether using the desktop shortcut or the application executable itself). Non-Microsoft applications generally do.
    - Clicking the Start button has no effect - no menu, no searchable list of programs
    - Right clicking the Start button does work, so I can get to the Command Prompt and Control Panel
    - No method of getting to Settings works, so I cannot view Windows Update history (and when I tried to generate a log from the .efl file TraceRpt.exe crashed with an error).
    - The wireless adaptor is not recognising any available Wifi network. I think the menu option to look is non-operational. Internet via Ethernet is available.
    - AVG Free says computer protection is turned off, even if I successfully run a virus scan!
    - Device Manager, chkdsk and dism do not show any problems.

I suspect that this just scratches the surface of what is wrong

While any help would be welcome, I am not really expecting anything much. I am on the point of giving up and reinstalling Windows 10, as the above seems pretty clear evidence of a corrupt installation. As I understand it, every program will then have to be reinstalled.

I expect that I can do this, though if I priced up my time I would probably come up with a figure well in excess of the laptop's value (perhaps I should just get her a new one for Christmas).

I am just totally hacked off that Microsoft can get away with putting out updates that can wreck a computer installation. I have been told before that I ought to think of an Update as a completely new operating system but that really does not excuse unleashing this rubbish on the world.*Sad

:)

thelordgiveth, Nov 29, 2018
  2. R-T-B Win User

BIOS update bricks laptop

I know this is going to blow your mind, but I've had bios bricks and I do laptop refurbs for a living. It happens... Particularly when the flash program is windows only and drivers are amuck.

R-T-B, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Windows 10 wifi solution for hp

I believe to have found an easy solution to the wifi problem after the upgrade to windows 10 on my hp laptop.

I just shut down windows and then booted the quick web, and then enabled wifi via the quick web.

I then shut down quick web and logged in to windows and my wifi works perfectly.

I suggest you follow these simply steps if you're unable to toggle your wifi on with your hp.

1. Boot quick web and toggle wifi on

2. Switch back to windows and you should see wifi enabled.

Thanks

Ebenezer Aboagye, Nov 29, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 update bricks HP laptop - no Office, Settings, Wifi...

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 update bricks HP laptop - no Office, Settings, Wifi...

1. Windows 10 update bricks HP laptop - no Office, Settings, Wifi... - Similar Threads - update bricks laptop

2. Windows update bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update bricked my laptop.: I was working on my laptop - Acer Aspire 7 A715-42G which was running on Windows 11. I got a pop up that asked me if I wanted to update now or update later. I clicked on later. Took a break of 15 mins and closed the lid of my laptop. When I came back, and checked it, there...
  3. Windows update bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update bricked my laptop.: I was working on my laptop - Acer Aspire 7 A715-42G which was running on Windows 11. I got a pop up that asked me if I wanted to update now or update later. I clicked on later. Took a break of 15 mins and closed the lid of my laptop. When I came back, and checked it, there...
  4. A windows update brick my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A windows update brick my laptop: After I got a windows update my laptop does not work anymoreI boot my laptop and welcome screen come up normally but black screen with loading circle appear and disappearePower button and password bar is also not showing and control-alt-delete is not doing anything...
  5. A windows update brick my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A windows update brick my laptop: After I got a windows update my laptop does not work anymoreI boot my laptop and welcome screen come up normally but black screen with loading circle appear and disappearePower button and password bar is also not showing and control-alt-delete is not doing anything...
  6. Hp laptop bricked

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hp laptop bricked: hello there my laptop was updating its bios then it failed and it turned it self off and now when it turns on it is makes clicking sound then it says CMOS is invailed and next to it it says we could not find a bios. then it says no hard drive found....
  7. Update bricked laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update bricked laptop: Lenovo x1 running Windows 10 Pro. There was an Office update. After restarting, my laptop went into endless automatic repair loop. Uninstall recent updates didn't work. Multiple restore points failed. Unable to repair by cloud or by USB. How can I get a working PC without...
  8. Windows 10 Update bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Update bricked my laptop.: So long story short, I was forced into an update by windows on my laptop. Said update now has stuck me in a boot loop where it resets after flashing up on the screen saying "undoing changes made by windows update". The only thing I can acess is the BIOS. Any help would be...
  9. windows 10 update bricked my laptop

windows 10 update bricked my laptop: so I'm the kinda person who doesn't like that windows 10 is always sneaking around on my metered internet connection downloading updates with my data that costs me money without my consent but today it got worse.. I bought a new dell laptop with high specs, 16 gigs ram 4...
  10. The latest Windows update has bricked my HP laptop

The latest Windows update has bricked my HP laptop: I was just installing the latest Windows updates. They failed, so I tried to run it manually. It asked to restart, which I've done. As a result, I get the ibitial losing screen, followed by a blank screen. I can hear the fan ticking away, but nothing else. I'm on a HP...