Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Broke a Lot of PDF files

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Broke a Lot of PDF files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ever since this latest Windows update - I have hundreds of PDF files that WILL NOT OPEN. (I have Windows 10 Professional) In Adobe, I get a message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by David Fender, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Update Broke a Lot of PDF files

Ever since this latest Windows update - I have hundreds of PDF files that WILL NOT OPEN. (I have Windows 10 Professional)

In Adobe, I get a message that says it's "either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged." Other programs that read PDFs will give other error messages, but the effect is still the same - the file won't open. ALL OF THESE FILES WORKED AND OPENED THE DAY BEFORE THE UPDATE (to be fair, it's not like I opened up every single file the day before the update, but I never had this problem before and files that I did open up aren't working now), something about the update broke them. The weird thing is that this problem doesn't affect all my PDF files, but many many many of them. I haven't been able to figure out a rhyme or reason yet for which ones will open and which ones won't.

This seems a lot like a problem I experienced after a previous Windows update a year or so ago that would give me the same error message for my Excel files. Back then, I was able to roll back the update and all the files magically worked again. Eventually something was patched on the Windows side and the updates no longer gave me an issue. Apparently, Windows won't let me do the same thing with this update. I'm stuck with it.

So throwing this out to the great hive-mind to see if anyone has any ideas.

~Dave

:)

David Fender, Sep 2, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 2, 2019
  3. Pdf file

Hello Bhaumik,

For you to download and access the PDF files, please follow the steps below:

• Please download and install the UC browser and Xodo PDF Reader & Editor from Windows Store.
    • Once installed, please download the PDF file from a web page using the
      UC browser
      by tapping the PDF file you wish to download > Click
      Regular Download
    • Once the PDF file is downloaded, please go to App list >
      Xodo application
      > Menu icon > Recent Documents > tap the
      PDF file you've downloaded from UC browser.

Please note that if you have an existing PDF Reader application installed on your phone, we suggest that you uninstall it first.

Let us know if this works for you.

Gerald Mal, Sep 2, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Update Broke a Lot of PDF files

Searching in PDF?

Hey guys, I need to look up a large list of data from a PDF file, basically just to check if each entry of the list is in the pdf. Is there some way to do this without having to check one by one?

ebolamonkey3, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update Broke a Lot of PDF files

1. Windows 10 Update Broke a Lot of PDF files - Similar Threads - Update Broke Lot

2. i broke a lot of things

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i broke a lot of things: i moved my %appdata% folder, and now a lot of the windows 10 features won't work. reason for moving it: I was constantly running out of space on my windows partition and I don't have money to spend on a new hard drive with more space right now, but I did move it properly. I...
  3. Appears 20h2 broke a lot of programs ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Appears 20h2 broke a lot of programs ?: 5600x .. 32 gb ram .. 1080ti.. 2tb ssd brand new .. Very weird .. I can get to windows but now a lot of programs aren’t working.. siege will start but clock at screen .. BF4 will start and then close .. malware bytes won’t open ? Ran the dism and scan now ..no errors and no...
  4. New windows 10 update completely broke a lot of stuff

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New windows 10 update completely broke a lot of stuff: So, I recently got a notification saying that my windows 10 version was unsupported and that I needed to update. So, I updated overnight and when I woke up in the morning, almost everything on the taskbar was broken. My applications in the taskbar are fine and clickable, but...
  5. Windows Update Suddenly Broke and Corrupted Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Update Suddenly Broke and Corrupted Files: Hi, I'm looking for any help possible with this. I just updated my laptop this morning and since have had many issues accessing files in my Microsoft OneDrive documents folders and am unable to open my laptops Download folder at all. The files are corrupted, which some I was...
  6. Windows 10 PDF file

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 PDF file: Some how my pdf file have change to chrom icon and not the windows PDF icon and i cant open PDF files sent to me in aol how do i fix this Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pdf-file/76c52c9a-d1dd-44b0-a262-b65f50ff26af
  7. Windows 10 Update Broke Computer

Windows 10 Update Broke Computer: I recently updated my desktop to whatever windows update it recommended and like always it failed which it has for the past couple months. This time though after it failed it has been stuck in a loop of the screen where you can enter BIOS, windows logo on black screen, black...
  8. Windows 10 Update Broke WiFi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Update Broke WiFi: Microsoft broke my laptop. Sometime in the past month or two, in one of the several updates to Win10, my WiFi got flaky. I'm running Win10 from Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro. What happens is in one room I can connect to WiFi getting "connected, secured." But as I get closer...
  9. Latest Windows 10 update broke downloading and saving files

Latest Windows 10 update broke downloading and saving files: I updated Windows 10 to the latest version. Doing so, it broke the ability to save files like in VEGAS, notepad, and download any files from the internet. Since this was more than 10 days ago, I can't rollback anymore. I would have reported this through the feed back hub but...
  10. Windows 10 update broke laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update broke laptop: So I was going about my day on the laptop, a program required a restart to finish updating so I click the windows key, click on the power icon and click Restart. Now what I didn't know that this will start an update. Since for some reason there was a issue with Windows 10...