Windows 10: Windows 10 update broke my ability to disable touchpad

Discus and support Windows 10 update broke my ability to disable touchpad in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 2 year old MSI GL73 8RD laptop. It has a built-in function FN F3 to disable the spawn of Satan touchpad, but this stopped working with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by learning2hatemsagain, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Windows 10 update broke my ability to disable touchpad

I have a 2 year old MSI GL73 8RD laptop. It has a built-in function FN F3 to disable the spawn of Satan touchpad, but this stopped working with a Windows update yesterday.

Things I have tried to fix it:

-going into Device manager and looking under pointing device only shows my USB mouse, no touchpad yes, I tried disabling it anyway. It turned off the mouse, not the touchpad.

-Looking under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager shows nothing recognizable as a touchpad.

-Despite the fact that it was Windows Update that popped up and said it had a Synaptics driver update to install, the update does not show under updates, so I cannot roll it back.

-Attempts to manually roll back the drivers to earlier Synaptic drivers are thwarted by the 'security' features which recognize it as older and refuse to allow me to install the older items.

-Touchpad options don't give me the option to disable the touchpad, not even when another mouse is connected.

-re-downloading the driver from my laptop manufacturer doesn't help, as it does nothing when I try to install it.

-Trying to run SynMSIDapp tells me 'unable to connect to the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.' And since I can't find anything that is recognizable as the touchpad in device manager, I can't really install or update the driver.

All of these would almost indicate that the device doesn't exist, or at least shouldn't be working. Which would honestly be fine because I HATE touchpads. But no, it continues to work, and screw up my typing constantly.

:)

learning2hatemsagain, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Disabling touchpad gestures in Windows 10

Hi Andrzej,

Precision touchpad is one of the improvements recently brought to Windows 10 to support touch gestures. Is you device running on Windows Creators Update? If yes, follow the steps below to disable touchpad:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select Ease of Access.
    • Click Touchpad.
    • Under Touchpad, toggle the switch on or off.
    • You can also uncheck the box beside Leave touchpad on the when a mouse is connectedoption to disable it when you use a traditional mouse.
    Once done with the steps above, check if the issue will persist.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Jul 18, 2020
  3. After Windows 10 update, can no longer disable touchpad. Please help

Hi Feisty

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about disabling the touchpad after Windows Update, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Are you referring to November Update?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Do you have any issues with functionality of Touchpad?
    • Where exactly were you trying to search for disable option?

This issue might have happened because of corrupted/ outdated touchpad drivers after the update.

If you are unable to access touchpad, I suggest you to connect an external mouse to try the below.

Step 1: Follow the below steps for search for the disable option and try to turn if off.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard and click on
      Control Panel.

• Click on Mouse.

• On the Device Settings tab of the
      Mouse Properties screen, click the Disable button to turn off the Touchpad.

• Restart the system and check.

Step 2: Update the Touchpad drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right click on each of the drivers and click on Update driver software.
    Also, try to search for the drivers from Manufacturer's website and try to install the drivers.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Windows 10 update broke my ability to disable touchpad

Disabling Synaptic touchpad in Windows 10, and why it won't stay disabled. For a left handed person, it is disruptive.

Hi,

If you wish to disable your touchpad, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press Windows Key +X.
    • Select Device manager.
    • Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    • Right click on Synaptic touchpad driver and select Disable.
    • Click OK to confirm and check with the issue.

Please reply us with the status to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update broke my ability to disable touchpad

1. Windows 10 update broke my ability to disable touchpad - Similar Threads - update broke ability

2. A recent Windows 10 update broke my ability to burn Blu Ray discs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A recent Windows 10 update broke my ability to burn Blu Ray discs: It appears that a recent Windows update I am not sure which one broke my ability to burn Blu Ray discs. I don't need to burn very many these days so I cannot pinpoint precisely when, but it is the only thing that changed on my computer since I last burned a disc...
  3. A recent Windows 10 update broke my ability to burn Blu Ray discs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A recent Windows 10 update broke my ability to burn Blu Ray discs: It appears that a recent Windows update I am not sure which one broke my ability to burn Blu Ray discs. I don't need to burn very many these days so I cannot pinpoint precisely when, but it is the only thing that changed on my computer since I last burned a disc...
  4. A recent Windows 10 update broke my ability to burn Blu Ray discs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. New Update Broke Bluetooth Ability WH-1000XM3 Headphones

New Update Broke Bluetooth Ability WH-1000XM3 Headphones: I've been using these headphones with the computer for years. Now, if I connect the headphones, every possible thing that could play audio freezes up. Itunes, MediaMonkey, and Windows Media Player all lock up, and even things in-browser like Youtube, Bandcamp, videos on...
  6. Disabling the touchpad for Windows 10 update 1903

Disabling the touchpad for Windows 10 update 1903: Okay, so I've had the update for about a few weeks now, and I can't seem to disable my touchpad anymore. Before the update, I had the ability to disable the touchpad whenever my mouse is connected. Now I've no longer got that option. What gives? I've gone under the settings...
  7. Disabling the touchpad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling the touchpad in Windows 10: I can't find the setting for disabling the touchpad. I looked in the settings for both the touchpad and the mouse. From what I read, there is supposed to be a setting for the mouse that says "Disable Touchpad when mouse is plugged in" or something like that, but that...
  8. The latest windows 10 update has disabled my ability to disable my touchpad on my ASUS...

The latest windows 10 update has disabled my ability to disable my touchpad on my ASUS...: The latest windows 10 update has made it so that I cannot disable my touchpad on my ASUS laptop. How can I disable my touchpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-latest-windows-10-update-has-disabled-my/8f18e444-20d9-4043-a9a6-31653faa9c3c
  9. disable touchpad windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    disable touchpad windows 10: I had disabled my touchpad because I use a mouse. Now it is back again and can't seem to disable it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touchpad-windows-10/f0f064aa-00de-46b0-81cb-41bff3fe0605
  10. anniversary update broke the ability to use custom colors....

in Windows 10 Customization
    anniversary update broke the ability to use custom colors....: It seems the anniversary update broke the ability to get custom colors though the run and then "control color" method. Is there any other way to achieve this? 65737