Windows 10: Windows 10 update broke my boot. Shutdown while updating.

Discus and support Windows 10 update broke my boot. Shutdown while updating. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I was forced to restart my laptop which is a Acer (cant remember the model) for the what I assume was the most recent update for windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CPO1209, Sep 7, 2018.

1. CPO1209 Win User

Windows 10 update broke my boot. Shutdown while updating.

Hi there,

I was forced to restart my laptop which is a Acer (cant remember the model) for the what I assume was the most recent update for windows 10. This update gave me no option of delaying it and so it told me it was going to restart my computer now. and 20 seconds later it all shut down. I did have the pre warning message but I didnt want to have to wait the '90 minutes' it said it would probably take to complete as I had work to do.

But anyway, when it restarted and was doing the update I decided to forcefully shut it down by holding the power button almost as soon as it started, as I had important things to do. However now when I turn on my computer it takes me to the bootmanager with 3 options.

'Windows setup' - which takes me to a 'choose my keyboard layout' and then to a 'windows rollback' selection screen with usb device, another OS, troubleshoot and turn of the pc as options.

The other 2 options at the boot manager are 'windows 10' and another 'windows 10'.

I have tried to do troubleshooting options on all 3 boot options, apparently now i have no system restores when I try to do that. And the startup repair doesnt fix anything either.

If I load either of the 2 windows 10 options, 1 takes me to the blue screen of death and the other flicks me straight back to the boot manager.

I have tried other suggestions on this forum such as running a cmd and doing, checkdisk, fixboot, fixbcd, but encounter similar issues as others have said that on the fixboot command it says 'access denied'.

I am running a stock loaded windows 10 home.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

:)

CPO1209, Sep 7, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Sep 7, 2018
  3. Windows XP Error: Could not Boot after update

repairing windows will just fix any damaged files, id suggest taking off your over clocking settings the try booting in, maybe when you updated you also updated some censoring device which is now causing you a problem with your over clock settings.

jocksteeluk, Sep 7, 2018
  4. DRDNA Win User

Microsoft withdraws bad Windows 7 update that broke future Windows 7 updates

"Unfortunately, this apparently simple change has had severe consequences for some users of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, with users reporting that Windows Update, drivers from both Nvidia and AMD, and some third-party software including Virtual Box are all unable to install correctly. The error code 0x8004FF91 seems to be a common finding."

http://arstechnica.com/information-...7-update-that-broke-future-windows-7-updates/

DRDNA, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update broke my boot. Shutdown while updating. - Similar Threads - update broke boot

2. Window 10 update broke my pc!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 10 update broke my pc!: Before the update my pc working pretty normal but after Window 10 update today my pc broken now i cant connect to wifi my network adapter it just gone when i go into adapter option it said this folder is empty also my i cant turn on or off bluetooth and i cant do anything...
  3. My laptop shutdowns while installation the windows 10 update 2004.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My laptop shutdowns while installation the windows 10 update 2004.: I plug in my laptop into the socket unfortunately not connected, the laptop shutdown while installing windows update 2004,must I redownload the update again? Or is there opportunity to reinstall it again without redownloading it? Thanks...
  4. Windows 10 update broke my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 update broke my laptop: I own a lenovo laptop and the webcam was working fine before this recent update. Now it's not even listed in device manager went through Microsoft's webcam fix guide nothing helped. Anyone else also facing this issue ? Thanks in advance/Kasturi...
  5. Windows 10 updates broke my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 updates broke my computer: I am both a user of Linux & Windows. I have Linux installed for mainly programming on my laptop. On my desktop which is, 16GB RAM with NVIDIA GTX 1050, I use my desktop for personal reasons, such filing taxes & reading emails. I have Kaspersky Security Cloud (paid) installed...
  6. Windows 10 Update broke my computer

Windows 10 Update broke my computer: Only way to fix computer was to fix was to get the data retrieved, wipe the drive and reload windows. Restore points, uninstalling update were completely useless. How to I get microsoft to compensate me for the repairs?...
  7. Windows 10 update broke my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update broke my computer: When trying to update my laptop it now says "Undoing changes made to your pc" and keeps going around again and again and I cant get into any part of my computer anymore. How do i stop this??...
  8. Windows 10 update broke my computer

Windows 10 update broke my computer: I have Asus ROG desktop with Windows 10 on it. After the most recent update, my computer hasn't been normal. The icons on the desktop do not have names and only the mouse is active. I am able to open settings but cannot perform any tasks. I have tried to restore, reset, and...
  9. Windows 10 update broke my OS

Windows 10 update broke my OS: So I decided to do a windows update. I'm using windows 10. After it updated for about 2 hours, it would not boot into the OS. I tried rolling back the update using the BIOS settings but I just keep getting error messages, when I set it to "windows rollback" it just boots back...
  10. Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot: I manage several PC's in an office environment and staff have been complaining that their PC's are taking 10-15 minutes in the morning to update after they chose the "update and shutdown" option the night before, Is there any way to ensure this does not happen? 79930