Windows 10: Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login

Discus and support Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I get a blank screen before login after Windows 10 1903 update. What do I do next (see below for what I have done): Like many, I recently got the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jmillerc13, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login

I get a blank screen before login after Windows 10 1903 update. What do I do next (see below for what I have done):

Like many, I recently got the ultimatum that I must update my Windows 10 if I want to continue to receive support updates. So I scheduled the update for 2 AM on 7 Aug 19. When I got up the next morning, my screen was blank/black - no typical picture of some landscape with the Enter Your Pin dialogue box. The beginning of the blank screen problem.

I tried everything to get something on my screen: Cntrl Alt Delete, Windows Key Shift Cntrl B, press power button to sleep PC, Esc, Alt Tab, etc.

I then decided to do a hard shut down: holding down the power button for 10 secs. Maybe the update got stuck (happened on my desktop computer). Restarted, saw the Dell Logo and circling dots the shows loading bios and blank screen again.

Another hard shut down (only way to get anything on the display) and hit F2: I get the to the bios setup no problem. Putz around in there, but don't change anything as I don't believe it's the problem. Esc out without saving to same old blank screen.

Another hard shut down and hit F12(I have my USB drive loaded with the previous version of Windows repair set up): it loads perfectly. However, none of the options (Reset, Restore, Fix Startup, etc., whatever) do anything. There was an error. Windows could not restore. Can't load old Windows. BUT again it proved this is not a laptop problem.

Oh yeah, my Dell Gaming 5000 15 is fully updated with all current drivers. I always let the Support App do its thing and I rechecked during this process. I have the RX 560 video card and according to AMD website it has the latest driver. On the previous version of Windows 10, the display always came up to enable me to login.

I then go through the process to get to SAFE Mode. Loads no problem, display is working fine. So there must be a driver problem, but what driver? So I start looking on the web and noted 1903 is causing all kinds of problems, the blank screen being one of them. BUT I don't use remote desktop or any other unusual set up. My Dell Laptop is pretty vanilla and I just use it to surf and play some games and a bit of Office.

Ugh- I am out of time for that day. So I restart back into normal mode - blank screen. I left the computer and went off to do my real work. I come back to my computer powered off. Looks like my Sleep after 2 hours might have kicked in. I hit the power button and OMG, my display is working and I can login! Yay!

HOWEVER, I restart to make sure everything is working properly... Blank screen before login, do not pass go, go directly to jail - ugh again.

I let it time out to sleep again (after going to work again). Came back and the display worked. So I can kind of get to a working laptop, but NOT being able to restart (hey, this is Windows) and get back to work immediately is frustrating.

When will this be fixed?

Thanks,

:)

jmillerc13, Aug 12, 2019

2. KB4497935 CAUSING INFINITE BLACK SCREEN WITH SPINNING CIRCLE

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Please answer these questions to get additional information for clarity:

1. Are you getting a black screen before signing in to Windows 10?
    2. Are you getting a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10?
    3. Are you getting a black screen with spinning dots after restarting the device?

Some of the common scenarios that can cause a black or blank screen to occur are connection problems with your display, display adapter driver update issues, or issues with recent updates or installations.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to check if that works.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-or-blank-screen-errors

Let us know the result of the steps performed so that we can help you further.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    black screen

Hi Bart,

It is possible that you're experiencing black screen due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you getting any error messages?
    • What happen when you tried to login?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot black screen errors. You can choose which situation you're experiencing the error and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 12, 2019
  4. zplugger Win User

Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login

1. Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login - Similar Threads - update causes black

2. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  3. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen before login: My pc screen is black before login in ...i have tried all posible ways to fix the black screen ....and i cant boot it in safe mode ...pls help me i have exam pls pls...
  4. Windows 10 black screen before login.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 black screen before login.: Before any system processes start, Windows 10 gives me a black screen. Connecting another monitor does not work, enabling secure boot does not work and unplugging all usb devices also did not work. I have tried using safe mode but the screen goes black. System restore through...
  5. Windows 10 black screen before login.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 black screen before login.: Before any system processes start, Windows 10 gives me a black screen. Connecting another monitor does not work, enabling secure boot does not work and unplugging all usb devices also did not work. I have tried using safe mode but the screen goes black. System restore through...
  6. Windows 10 black screen before login.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Black screen before login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login: I was recently doing a system restore after my computer started acting wonky, however, the restore got hung up, so after about 10 hours or so, I gave up and did a hard shutdown. Now when I’m booting up my laptop, i get the Acer splash screen, however, after that I just get a...
  8. Windows 10 Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Black screen before login screen: Looks like alot of people have this issue. This is a brand new pc that has recently started loading into a black screen for about 5-10minutes before finally showing the login page. Anyone else have this issue? What is the consensus to fix? submitted by /u/Nevinyrral...
  9. Black Screen Before Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black Screen Before Login: After the update of october 2018 update 1809 my laptop is having a problem of black screen before the sign in page. It takes around 8 to 10 seconds to show the lock screen. I don't know what's the problem. I feel so annoying as this is a brand new laptop with 8gb ram and i5...
  10. Windows 10, black screen before login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10, black screen before login: Hi, I've got a very recent computer that stopped working today. This is a i9 7920x with two 2080 ti , 128 Go of RAM running windows 10 64 pro that I use to work 3d and 2d softwares. The screens were suddenly blocked and with colored artifacts, windows wasn't responding...