Windows 10: Windows 10 Update causes my programs to spontaneously disappear and re-appear

Discus and support Windows 10 Update causes my programs to spontaneously disappear and re-appear in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I don't even know how to explain this succinctly, so here goes: My computer was getting bogged down, so I rebooted. Suddenly, I get the ol' "Hold on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PatrickConnelly1, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Update causes my programs to spontaneously disappear and re-appear

I don't even know how to explain this succinctly, so here goes:

My computer was getting bogged down, so I rebooted. Suddenly, I get the ol' "Hold on while we get things ready". There was no indication that I was going to be updating, but I figured I'd let it go. When it came back, my computer was updated to the most recent version of Windows, with the revised Start menu and all that. Also, all of my programs were missing. Every single program. It was like a brand new installation of Windows. Fortunately, I keep my data on different drives, otherwise, I would have really been losing my mind. However, I also noted that it wouldn't recognize or mount my external drives, and seemed sluggish to populate the explorer with the contents of my internal drives.

I tried doing a system restore, but got an error message. So, aggravated, but needing to get things done, I began the laborious process of re-installing all my software. During one of these installations, I rebooted again. When it came back up, my computer was reset to the original settings, as if nothing had ever happened. All my software was there, all my settings, even my background wallpaper was all unchanged and the way it was supposed to be. So, happy day, right?

Until I rebooted again. Once again, Windows tried updating, and when it came back up, I was back to the "new" installation, and the only programs that were on there were the ones I had managed to get installed earlier. So, I thought I'd see what happened if I rebooted again. This time, it went back to the way it's supposed to be.

I thought maybe it was creating a new user account and somehow logging me into that, but according to the login page, it's all one account. The one thing that is different is that if the login screen asks me for a password, I know everything will be fine. But if it asks for a PIN, I know it's going to be the "new" installation missing all the software. Weirdly, if I choose to switch the login method from PIN to password at that screen, I get a message saying "incorrect password."

On top of all this, I noticed that where I used to have separate user and admin accounts, I now have only one user account that is also the admin. Which doesn't bother me, I just wonder why it changed.

I don't have the faintest idea what would cause this, but it's really messing with my productivity.

:)

PatrickConnelly1, Jan 11, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows 10 Update causes my programs to spontaneously disappear and re-appear :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 11, 2019
  3. 7.62 Win User
    Windows updates causing lockup

Hi guys.

No, I cant even get the update screen. I cant find a answer on the internet.

Start -> all programs --> windows update --> check for updates.

10 seconds later, complete system lock up requiring a hard reboot. If I try to install a printer that needs to check windows update, same thing.

I even tried the windows update troubleshooter http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Then that program 'checks for solutions online', and then hard lock again. VERY frustrating. What would be causing this?

4. Windows 10 Update causes my programs to spontaneously disappear and re-appear

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update causes my programs to spontaneously disappear and re-appear

1. Windows 10 Update causes my programs to spontaneously disappear and re-appear - Similar Threads - Update causes programs

2. What is causing NvidiaGPUControl1.exe to re-appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is causing NvidiaGPUControl1.exe to re-appear: hi all,I believe that many of us have been suffering from high CPU usage from malwares or genuine antivirus software :P.I recently reinstalled my NUC, and found a nasty one sneaked in somehow. Its name is NvidiaGPUControl1.exe..Since i am using NUC, everything is intel, so...
  3. What is causing NvidiaGPUControl1.exe to re-appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is causing NvidiaGPUControl1.exe to re-appear: hi all,I believe that many of us have been suffering from high CPU usage from malwares or genuine antivirus software :P.I recently reinstalled my NUC, and found a nasty one sneaked in somehow. Its name is NvidiaGPUControl1.exe..Since i am using NUC, everything is intel, so...
  4. Disappearing programs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing programs in Windows 10: Hello!Since I have installed windows 10 on my laptop about a year ago, I've been experiencing an annoying issue. Some of my programs simply disappear once in a while and I have to download and install them again. It seems to mostly relate to apps downloaded from outside of...
  5. Disappearing programs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disappearing programs in Windows 10: Hello!Since I have installed windows 10 on my laptop about a year ago, I've been experiencing an annoying issue. Some of my programs simply disappear once in a while and I have to download and install them again. It seems to mostly relate to apps downloaded from outside of...
  6. Windows 10 Update caused user profiles to disappear.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update caused user profiles to disappear.: After allowing Windows 10 to update, my original user profiles are gone and I cannot sign in to them. A temporary user profile was created in the process. I found the files for my original profiles but now need to find out how to safely transfer them into a new user profile...
  7. Desktop icons spontaneously disappearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons spontaneously disappearing: I'm not entirely sure why, but for some reason all the icons on the desktop will just randomly disappear and be replaced by 2 moveable boxes for seemingly no reason. It's pretty annoying, but all I have to do to fix it is to reboot the computer. This has been happening for at...
  8. Windows 10 updates cause DVD drive to disappear

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 updates cause DVD drive to disappear: When I update my Toshiba Satellite laptop to the latest Windows 10 update, the DVD drive Drive D: can no longer be seen in File Explorer nor can DVD drive play any DVD or CD. Any thoughtd?...
  9. What could cause my PC to reboot spontaneously?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What could cause my PC to reboot spontaneously?: Having run smoothly for years, my PC spontaneously rebooted on 26 June and has done so about 30 times since then, sometimes running a week without problem, sometimes rebooting twice in one day. The screen suddenly goes black and it reboots. There is no blue screen or error...
  10. Programs Spontaneously Closing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs Spontaneously Closing: Hi. So for a while now, programs currently running on my computer have been spontaneously closing, usually when the computer is under stress when running games. I am not the one closing the programs and no viruses have been found on my computer. I have tried booting into...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winows update causes sound to disappear