Windows 10: Windows 10 update: checking for updates runs and runs

Discus and support Windows 10 update: checking for updates runs and runs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I went to Settings|Windows Update and tried checking for updates. The app runs and runs. I downloaded and ran the update checker tool. It hung up on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vicd, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Vicd Win User

Windows 10 update: checking for updates runs and runs

I went to Settings|Windows Update and tried checking for updates. The app runs and runs. I downloaded and ran the update checker tool. It hung up on "pending reboot" and ran and ran and ran. There is no obvious pending reboot.

What can I do to get Windows Update running? I haven't seen an update in a month.

:)

2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Nov 13, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Nov 13, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

Windows update cannot currently check for updates.

You verified the Windows Update Service is running in Services.msc?

Check this out: Script Reset Windows Update Agent

I explain how to use it in my Windows OS Repair Thread (in sig). Might save you some time over a fresh install. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update: checking for updates runs and runs - Similar Threads - update checking updates

2. i want to run check update by command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want to run check update by command: hii want to run check update by command promp https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-run-check-update-by-command/1cd220de-81b0-4458-85b1-b390cbd0cc4a
  3. Windows cannot run automatic update nor update checks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot run automatic update nor update checks: My PC running on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit OS cannot run update checks anymore, showing an error code 80072EFE. How can I resolve this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-run-automatic-update-nor-update/622f49e8-130a-45d2-a2e7-914d47ed1a2d
  4. Windows cannot run automatic update nor update checks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot run automatic update nor update checks: My PC running on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit OS cannot run update checks anymore, showing an error code 80072EFE. How can I resolve this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-run-automatic-update-nor-update/622f49e8-130a-45d2-a2e7-914d47ed1a2d
  5. When does 'Check for updates' run?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    When does 'Check for updates' run?: Hello, When does 'Check for updates' run? Three days have passed but Windows doesn't check for new update automatically. Thanks 139556
  6. When does 'Check for updates' run?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    When does 'Check for updates' run?: Hello, When does 'Check for updates' run? Three days have passed but Windows doesn't check for new update automatically. Thanks 139556
  7. windows 10 updates not running

windows 10 updates not running: Can't get windows updates to go. when i run the trouble shooter for updates, get the following: An error occurred while troubleshooting: An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue. package id: WindowsUpdateDiagnostic...
  8. Windows 10 Update will not run

Windows 10 Update will not run: I get this error: (0x80070426) and try again later message. whazup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-will-not-run/db10ffe3-1a45-4ab4-8cfd-3ea083d321a3
  9. Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?

Is there a run command to check for Windows Updates online?: I'm using the run command as below (1st pic), but I get a server timeout error, but if I go to the settings screen there is an option to "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update." (2nd pic). Is there a run command for this one since it works through settings? I use the...
  10. [SOLVED] Checking for updates (Forever running)

[SOLVED] Checking for updates (Forever running): Hi there, Previously I had an update which windows kept on updating and undoing the update for some reason. After which i tried to find for a solution online and somehow deleted the entire of the Software Distribution folder located in the C:\Windows folder. Right now...