Windows 10: Windows 10 Update constantly failing

Discus and support Windows 10 Update constantly failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.657. Apart from Windows .Net Framework and Adobe Flash Player, I have not had a successful Windows Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RichardAKing, May 14, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Update constantly failing

Windows 10 pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.657.

Apart from Windows .Net Framework and Adobe Flash Player, I have not had a successful Windows Update since 12th February last.

I have tried the various steps recommended in this community, without success.

This is the result of running DSIM and SFC;-

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1

Image Version: 10.0.18363.657

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I have not found a way to copy Settings \ Windows Update \ View Update History to a file, but these are the results of the last few Update attempts I have tried. and the number of times some of them have failed.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4551762 -Error 0x800f0900 37

2020-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4549951 -Error 0x800f0900 28

2020-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4550945 -Error 0x800f0900 5

2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4556799 -Error 0x800f0900

2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems KB4556799 -Error 0x800f0900

I have tried to recover Windows 10 from a USB stick. This gets as far as "Making Sure you Are Ready To Install". This may take a few minutes.

The circle in the upper left of the windows stops spinning, the setup windows closes and nothing else happens.

:)

RichardAKing, May 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, May 14, 2020
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, May 14, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update constantly failing

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Update constantly failing

1. Windows 10 Update constantly failing - Similar Threads - Update constantly failing

2. Windows update constantly failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update constantly failing: Please help with Windows update constantly failing,1/ System is Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2, OS build 19045.35162/ The test from Windows Update window I have retried multiple times , getting the same:"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later....
  3. Windows update constantly failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update constantly failing: Please help with Windows update constantly failing,1/ System is Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2, OS build 19045.35162/ The test from Windows Update window I have retried multiple times , getting the same:"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later....
  4. Windows update constantly failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it: hello my name is tom and i am looking for help here since i cannot get it from microsoft support after many, many, failed attempts. Sometimes they try but its like it hurts their pride to escalate the issue to someone that can maybe provide more insight. And most of the time...
  6. windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it

windows update constantly fails and nothing fixes it: hello my name is tom and i am looking for help here since i cannot get it from microsoft support after many, many, failed attempts. Sometimes they try but its like it hurts their pride to escalate the issue to someone that can maybe provide more insight. And most of the time...
  7. Windows 10 update constantly fails

Windows 10 update constantly fails: Windows 10 pro, version 20H2. Other than Windows .Net Framework and Adobe Flash Player, I haven't had a successful Windows update for 2 months. I have tried the various recommended steps in this community, with no success. The circle in the upper left of the windows stops...
  8. Windows Update Constantly Failing

Windows Update Constantly Failing: I have been trying to update my computer since mid November, I keep getting the error code 0x800f0922 and it getting to 100% and saying "Couldn't complete changes, Undoing". I've checked the partition, I've uninstalled the previous update, I've disabled my VPN. I'm out of...
  9. Windows 10 installation constantly failing

Windows 10 installation constantly failing: Hi so i built a new computer and decded to install windows 10. Problems began ofcourse and after the first restart i instantly get a bsod. So i i thoug it was the hdd since it ws very old and i ihad tried everything but after replacing with a brand new ssd the problems...
  10. Update constantly failing

Update constantly failing: Windows 10 trying every day or so to update but each time fails. No error code but message "Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install window, re-start . . . . ." I'm on a 64-bit OS with 22.3Gb free on drive C, plus much more free on D, F, and K K...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 how to fix error 0x80071160 for KB4556799