Windows 10: Windows 10 update converted to GPT, cause boot problems

Discus and support Windows 10 update converted to GPT, cause boot problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 on an older computer. After a lot of troubleshooting boot issues, I discovered that the drive needs to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by thadwald, Dec 2, 2020.

1. thadwald Win User

Windows 10 update converted to GPT, cause boot problems

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 on an older computer. After a lot of troubleshooting boot issues, I discovered that the drive needs to be formatted as Master Boot Record. This worked fine over multiple reboots.

After installing the latest Windows update, the computer no longer boots. It gets stuck at the black screen with the blue logo. A bit of investigation revealed that the Windows update had converted my disk from MBR to GPT.

Is there a way to block Windows from converting the disk to GPT?

:)

thadwald, Dec 2, 2020

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

This is an unexpected behavior, after you convert the disk from MBR to GPT, it shouldn’t convert back automatically, however you can try to convert the disk back to GPT format if you are on Windows 10 version 1703 or later using the inbuilt utility
    MBR2GPT.EXE.

• Click on Start menu (Windows logo), type
      CMD.
    • Right click on Command prompt and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Type MBR2GPT /validate /AllowFullOS
    • Once the validation is successful, execute the following command and check the results.
    • Type MBR2GPT /Convert /AllowFullOS
    • Once the conversion is successful, you must boot the computer into BIOS and change the BIOS mode to
      UEFI.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly.
    Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

For more information about MBR2GPT utility, please refer to the article:
    Convert MBR disk into GPT using MBR2GPT.EXE

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Windows 10 update converted to GPT, cause boot problems

Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

Your method did not work for me when converting my current Windows 8 MBR disk, however I did come out knowing how to create Windows PE 5.0 Rescue disk using Macrium after reading your post though.

urbanman2004, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update converted to GPT, cause boot problems

1. Windows 10 update converted to GPT, cause boot problems - Similar Threads - update converted GPT

2. Windows not booting after converting secondary storage to GPT

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows not booting after converting secondary storage to GPT: I have windows installed on my ssd which is still MBR, since MBR cannot support more than 2TB I converted my secondary storage HDD to GPT using disk manager. On the next boot my pc was showing “Reboot and Select proper Boot device ecc…”I tried to disconnect the the secondary...
  3. Windows not booting after converting secondary storage to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not booting after converting secondary storage to GPT: I have windows installed on my ssd which is still MBR, since MBR cannot support more than 2TB I converted my secondary storage HDD to GPT using disk manager. On the next boot my pc was showing “Reboot and Select proper Boot device ecc…”I tried to disconnect the the secondary...
  4. Windows not booting after converting secondary storage to GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  6. Convert GPT to MBR

Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  7. Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT: i had recently built my new pc with 4gb ram and an i3 3240 cpu and Asus p8h61 mx motherboard with windows 7. But when i converted my hard disk from MBR to GPT my computer is not booting and there is just a blinking underscore on top left corner. When my computer first came it...
  8. Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT

Computer Not Booting After Converting MBR to GPT: i had recently built my new pc with 4gb ram and an i3 3240 cpu and Asus p8h61 mx motherboard with windows 7. But when i converted my hard disk from MBR to GPT my computer is not booting and there is just a blinking underscore on top left corner. When my computer first came it...
  9. Problems after convert MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems after convert MBR to GPT: I was having issues with BSOD while playing games and was recommend to either reset or fresh install. I have a M.2 WD black as my system disk partitioned with one other partition. I have a 500 gig WD blue 2 partitions one for backup\programs and other as downloads and another...
  10. Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?: I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again.. Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Bios error resulted from mbr to gpt conversion