Windows 10: WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro

Discus and support WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ive read some of the suggestions given on how to reset a Surface Pro that has crashed from the Windows 10 update. The advice usually includes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TracyBurnett2, Jul 15, 2020.

1. WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro

Ive read some of the suggestions given on how to reset a Surface Pro that has crashed from the Windows 10 update.

The advice usually includes instruction from a screen with the Windows logo and the spinning dots.

When I turn my computer on, the screen is black with the WIndows logo only.

I have consulted with an IT professional, 2 people from the GeekSquad and a technician from CPR computer/phone repair locally.

I was told that only Microsoft can fix this but the local store her is closed due to COVID.

Thank you.

:)

TracyBurnett2, Jul 15, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

Source: Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Brink, Jul 15, 2020
  4. WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro

Surface Pro 4 - Crashes / Freezes

Hi Edward,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

The main causes observed so far are driver issues, so I suggest you to install and update all the drivers and see if it helps.

Download drivers and firmware for Surface

I would also suggest you to install all Windows update and check.

Follow the steps:

1. On the search bar type “Settings”.

2. Click on “Update and Security”.

3. Click on “Check for Updates”.

4. Read and accept the license terms, and then tap or click Finish if the update requires it.

Reference:

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ce-pro-4?category=performance-and-maintenance

Hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Suvarna Govinda, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro

1. WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro - Similar Threads - update crashed Surface

2. Surface pro updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro updates: My surface pro is stuck on the screen updates are underway, 100% complete. The loop is still going around but nothing is happening. And I try to force restart it but didn't work. Is there something that I can do to make my laptop work again. I need to use it asap....
  3. Surface pro updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro updates: My surface pro is stuck on the screen updates are underway, 100% complete. The loop is still going around but nothing is happening. And I try to force restart it but didn't work. Is there something that I can do to make my laptop work again. I need to use it asap....
  4. Surface Pro 6 Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 6 Crash: Hi there, My Surface Pro 6 crashed and needed to restart. I was playing Two Point Hospital at the time and was hoping a hardware issue could be ruled out? This blue screen also happened when I was changing screen resolutions when playing The Sims 4 a few months ago. I'm...
  5. Windows 10 June Update Crashed Surface Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 June Update Crashed Surface Pro: Device will only boot to BIOS or Recovery Tried to Uninstall Updates from Recovery - system locked up Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, were you able to recover from it without reinstalling the OS? If you did reinstall the OS did it wipe your data? Really...
  6. Window 10 Surface pro 4 window update.

Window 10 Surface pro 4 window update.: I am handed with a Surface pro 4 (window 10 pro Operating system) and I am trying to update to it. when the download is completed and the installation is begin and restart, it didn't update my machine and it undo all the changes. my current version is 1803 and I keep fail to...
  7. Updating to Windows 10 on Surface Pro 1

Updating to Windows 10 on Surface Pro 1: Hello I am wondering whether updating my surface pro 1 to Windows 10 will slow down the device, as supposed to making it faster. I am currently using a Surface Pro 1 from 2012, running Windows 8.1. It fulfills the system requirements for Windows 10 and I would love having...
  8. Surface Pro Frequent Crashes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Pro Frequent Crashes: Hello everyone! I have a Surface Pro 4. It's relatively new, less than a year old, and I'm running into a frequent (and annoying) problem. I have battery saver mode set at 50%, but almost as soon as it goes into battery saver mode (or less, give or take, so maybe at 45%...
  9. update wiped my surface pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    update wiped my surface pro: My surface pro did an automatic update, upon restart there was a error c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop is unavailable. The only thing on my desktop is the recycling bin. I can't even open the start menu, no search, no icons anywhere, no ability to connect...
  10. Windows 10 Fall update wrecked my Surface Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Fall update wrecked my Surface Pro: After the update, there is no C drive anymore and when I click on My Computer or file explorer, the desktop keeps resetting. Some existing programs don't start anymore and are taken over by the update.. Anyone else this problem? 95716