Windows 10: Windows 10 update deleted all my files

Discus and support Windows 10 update deleted all my files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Woke on the 16th to see a forced Windows 10 update had been pushed through on my desktop. All my settings, bookmarks, and most importantly - files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SByler, Oct 17, 2020.

1. SByler Win User

Windows 10 update deleted all my files

Woke on the 16th to see a forced Windows 10 update had been pushed through on my desktop. All my settings, bookmarks, and most importantly - files and photographs - are gone. Tried restoring to a previous version from an auto back-up two days before the update took 8 hrs! and same thing - nothing, still looks like the updated version. Am I just out of luck? Why did this update do this?

:)

SByler, Oct 17, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Tintai Win User
    I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows 10 update deleted all my files ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update deleted all my files - Similar Threads - update deleted files

2. Windows update deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update deleted all my files: The latest Windows update has really done some bizarre things. I am not sure what is going on at Microsoft but these updates are really messing up my system. The last one in August stopped all games that used Unreal Engine from working and this one has taken it to another...
  3. Windows update deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update deleted all my files: The latest Windows update has really done some bizarre things. I am not sure what is going on at Microsoft but these updates are really messing up my system. The last one in August stopped all games that used Unreal Engine from working and this one has taken it to another...
  4. Windows update deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 update deleted my all files in "C;"

Windows 10 update deleted my all files in "C;": It around 200 Gb . Now how to restore ?????????????????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-deleted-my-all-files-in-c/8f926d47-91cb-4e47-b262-b1d10529f028
  6. Update deleted all my files

Update deleted all my files: Hi, I went to turn my computer on, and my computer began to install updates. When it finally finished, all of my files were deleted. Everything. I tried to restore it, but there is no restore point data either. How do I get all my information back? Thanks! Caitlyn...
  7. Windows 10 Update deleted all my pictures and files

Windows 10 Update deleted all my pictures and files: Windows automatically updated my computer and all my files are gone. I did not realize this until well after so I cannot just revert back to my previous as it is too late. I've tried looking for the .old file and there is nothing in it. I had pictures from 4 years+ on my...
  8. Windows 10 Update Deleted All My Files

Windows 10 Update Deleted All My Files: Windows 10 updated and all my files are gone. I tried retrieving it from the windows.old file but it was empty. All my pictures were on my computer and now they are completely gone and this is ridiculous that an update my computer said it needed completely wiped my computer....
  9. Windows update delete ALL MY FILES

Windows update delete ALL MY FILES: Hello there, i do manual update on my freshy reinstalled work laptop. After that (which takes litteraly hours) finaly i realize that the only remaining thing from my hard disk is probably the desktop picture. I have a previous Windows.old folder where was all my important...
  10. Windows 10 update all files deleted

Windows 10 update all files deleted: Hi i just updated my laptop last night to the new windows update and was greated with a black screen after a restart. The only things on the screen was a picture of a hard drive and “no booteble device”. I need a way to get my files back and to some how get windows back so i...