Windows 10: Windows 10 update deleted my files in windows.old

Discus and support Windows 10 update deleted my files in windows.old in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 1) Last night, Windows automatically started installing updates 'insider preview 14931' 2) All my files in c://windows.old were deleted - my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by quit32, Oct 21, 2016.

1. quit32 Win User

Windows 10 update deleted my files in windows.old

1) Last night, Windows automatically started installing updates 'insider preview 14931'

2) All my files in c://windows.old were deleted - my harddrive went from around 30gb free space to 90gb

3) I have tried recurva, easyus and stellar recovery tools - recurva shows the files but recovers them as corrupt files...

What should I do? This is a joke.

Thanks in advance

:)

quit32, Oct 21, 2016
  2. WindowsOS Win User

Windows.old folder missing.

After you update to Windows 10 the Windows.old folder is automatically deleted after one month. Sorry. And it sounds as though the guys in "chat" aren't very bright as it is common knowledge that after a month the Windows.old file will be deleted.

WindowsOS, Oct 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 stuck on Loading screen with spinning dots

Hi ,

Just today I ran into a problem , which is Windows 10 is stuck on the loading screen with spinning dots . All this happened the day after I deleted a filewindows.old
    .I have tried a lot solutions from previous post , such as :

1. Reverting to previous build

2. Reseting PC

3. Going back to a restore point

All the methods above just comes up with an error saying ,'We ran into a problem doing this '

I believe the problem is due to me deleting the file windows.old

Also , whenever I boot into safe mode and go into windows update through settings , it just crashes and the tab closes.

If any solution can be proposed , please answer me immediately .

Edit: I reformatted my hard disk multiple times , and deleted the windows.old file all the time . The deleting windows.old file is just my theory as some sites tell me that windows.old or %windows.~BT file is needed for windows update . I can't access windows
    update through settings in safe mode with networking . The sites tell me to go to windows update and uninstall certain windows updates which i cant .

tl;dr windows.old causing the problem is just a theory.

Thanks ,

Daniel.

****Post moved by the forum moderator to a more appropriate category.****

Daniel Ng 1111, Oct 21, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

What is a joke, your post or the "problem"? Seems to be to be a serious problem for you.

The Windows.old Folder on my computers have never contain any of my personal data, appears to be just there so the 'go-back' feature can be used within the 10 day period to return to the previous version of Windows. After Windows has been used for awhile and programs installed the Folder will be larger, usually not an issue. Disk Cleanup can be used to delete the Windows.old Folder, useful when having smaller amounts of free space. Of course the foregoing does not apply when not using the default locations for storage of data.

Berton, Oct 21, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Each time you get a build upgrade, it creates a new windows.old. So obviously you will lose stuff still left in previous version. Quite why the stuff was still in windows.old I cannot say, but given windows.old is only kept for 10 days, you should have backed up the data or moved it.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 update deleted my files in windows.old - Similar Threads - update deleted files

2. I Can't Delete Old Windows Update Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I Can't Delete Old Windows Update Files: I have a laptop that no longer has enough space for Windows updates. It is only used for email and the Internet, so I am happy if it never updates again. The problem is that there are a lot of Windows update files ESD that are eating up the limited space on the hard drive,...
  3. I Can't Delete Old Windows Update Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I Can't Delete Old Windows Update Files: I have a laptop that no longer has enough space for Windows updates. It is only used for email and the Internet, so I am happy if it never updates again. The problem is that there are a lot of Windows update files ESD that are eating up the limited space on the hard drive,...
  4. Delete old windows update files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete old windows update files: When I run 'Clean Up System files' option the following dialog is displayed.But when I click delete, the first selected item 'Windows Update Cleanup is never deleted.Due to this I am having a space problem on my C: drive.How can I safely delete at least some these files and...
  5. Delete old windows update files

Delete old windows update files: When I run 'Clean Up System files' option the following dialog is displayed.But when I click delete, the first selected item 'Windows Update Cleanup is never deleted.Due to this I am having a space problem on my C: drive.How can I safely delete at least some these files and...
  6. Cant delete old windows update files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant delete old windows update files: I ran a disc cleanup for Windows Update Cleanup but it got stuck so I ended up aborting it, and now it does not show up as an option on my disc cleanup tool any longer. Does anyone have an idea what I can do?...
  7. Cant delete old windows update files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant delete old windows update files: I ran a disc cleanup for Windows Update Cleanup but it got stuck so I ended up aborting it, and now it does not show up as an option on my disc cleanup tool any longer. Does anyone have an idea what I can do?...
  8. Cant delete old windows update files

9. Deleting old files of windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting old files of windows: Should I delete the older files of windows 10 versions on my laptop or should I keep them? submitted by /u/cCrUzCc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fbgexs/deleting_old_files_of_windows/
  10. Deleting Windows Old Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting Windows Old Files: My Tablet just updated to Version 1803 Build 17134.81 As strange as it sounds, Windows Disk Cleanup says I have 11.5 GIGS! of "Old Windows Installation." Is this safe to delete/remove? 111537