Windows 10: Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back?

Discus and support Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, On Thursday 15th I was playing Hearthstone in the Battle Net app, when I exited, my most vital files and folders on the desktop were gone, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tomas Burian, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back?

Hello,

On Thursday 15th I was playing Hearthstone in the Battle Net app, when I exited, my most vital files and folders on the desktop were gone, I was unable to find any of the missing files/folders - not a single one (!!!) using Search in Explorer, or 4 different recovery programs.

It's like they never existed. And it's vital I get them back.

When that happened, I had the Windows 10 update lined up and the backup for it already created in the Windows.old folder, but without the missing files (the Desktop folder was empty). My best guess is that the files were deleted automatically to make space for the update and the backup because before that I had about 15GB of free space and afterwards it was about 100GB. I'm positive this was the case as the deleted folders started with # and A (they had roughly around 100GB of data in them), the rest of the alphabethically ordered folders remained.

I've been running recovery software in my free time since then, now I'm out of options.

To sum up:

- the files / folders were clearly deleted as there was an additional free space afterward so they are not on the disc anymore

- not the whole Desktop was deleted, a majority of my files and folders are still there

- I tried restarting couple of times

- I tried creating a new User profile with Admin - still nothing showed up

- I tried various recovery software which found absolutely nothing of the missing folders / files ever existing before

Does Microsoft have any on-site experts I can visit in my city?

Please help, the files are very important to me.

:)

Tomas Burian, Aug 18, 2019
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back? ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Aug 18, 2019
  3. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 18, 2019
  4. MohanC Win User

Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back?

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back?

1. Windows 10 Update deleted some of my Desktop folders, how to get them back? - Similar Threads - Update deleted Desktop

2. How to get back my User folder on Desktop Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get back my User folder on Desktop Windows 10?: Hello, I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I have mistakenly deleted the 'User' folder from my desktop and it got permanently deleted without anything going into Recycle Bin. How do I get it back? I know the 'create new shortcut and paste directory address' method but it...
  3. How to get back my User folder on Desktop Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get back my User folder on Desktop Windows 10?: Hello, I am using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I have mistakenly deleted the 'User' folder from my desktop and it got permanently deleted without anything going into Recycle Bin. How do I get it back? I know the 'create new shortcut and paste directory address' method but it...
  4. How to get back my User folder on Desktop Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My users/… folder is in Desktop folder. How to get it back into users?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My users/… folder is in Desktop folder. How to get it back into users?: First to explain when I noticed it: After fixing a problem with my Desktop I did something to let my Computer think it was D:, fixed it my users/… folder appeared in Desktop folder. I can copy the users/…folder and do other things with it, but I can‘t cut it out and now don‘t...
  6. My users/… folder is in Desktop folder. How to get it back into users?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My users/… folder is in Desktop folder. How to get it back into users?: First to explain when I noticed it: After fixing a problem with my Desktop I did something to let my Computer think it was D:, fixed it my users/… folder appeared in Desktop folder. I can copy the users/…folder and do other things with it, but I can‘t cut it out and now don‘t...
  7. My users/… folder is in Desktop folder. How to get it back into users?

8. My downloads appear on the desktop now. How can i get them back to the download folder?

My downloads appear on the desktop now. How can i get them back to the download folder?: My downloads appear on the desktop now. How can I get them back to the download folder?Thanks,Erv https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-downloads-appear-on-the-desktop-now-how-can-i/47e011f0-29b1-47e2-969c-1bc095287e9b
  9. I have deleted my desktop files and cant get them back, windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    I have deleted my desktop files and cant get them back, windows 10: I moved my desktop file onto my new ssd, after I'd done a fresh install onto it, intending to use it for my boot. after several attempts the boot wasn't working so it deleted the volume on my ssd, forgetting that my desktop files were on there. I've done a fresh start on...
  10. How can I get my folders back after Desktop updating?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I get my folders back after Desktop updating?: Hi everybody! I use Windows 10 and yesterday my system automatically updated my old desktop to a new one and now I have this so called "Start Menu 8 v 4" (at least that's how it's called, i don't know). I lost all the folders I used to have on my desktop. I found them somehow...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update deleted my files august 2019

2. windows update deleted desktop folders

3. windows update deleted files on my pc

4. where did folders go windows 2019 update