Windows 10: Windows 10 Update - Desktop not available error

Discus and support Windows 10 Update - Desktop not available error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop was hijacked and ruined with this automatic and involuntary update. It was working fine before the update. Over the course of 3 days I talked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JamesClem1, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Update - Desktop not available error

My laptop was hijacked and ruined with this automatic and involuntary update. It was working fine before the update. Over the course of 3 days I talked to 4 different agents from Microsoft Windows help desk. Finally a new ISO file was created and my USB media was made bootable by the final agent for a new windows 10 install. After several hours dealing with this problem the new install finished with the same error:

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile Desktop unavailable....".

All the agents assured me nothing would be lost and I would recover just fine. Ironically during the original update, a message appeared "Leave it all up to us". The laptop was left with a blank screen (only the recycle bin) and a empty taskbar tray, unresponsive WIN key.

I finally managed to run notepad with the task manager to copy the Desktop folder from C:\users\... to the location the new install was looking for. This brought back my desktop icons, but some apps are not functional, some are missing, I lost my network setup, the graphics are messed up(low res), and the WIN key is still unresponsive. More is faulty I suspect. Despite the suggestion to "Leave it all up to us", it appears I'm on my own to fix the Microsoft screw up that ruined my laptop. So to my questions:

1. How can this happen? This is downright negligence.

2. It appears from searching online, that 100's if not 1000's of people have had this problem with little luck of resolution. Why didn't the help agents know about this?

3. Why hasn't Microsoft removed this destructive update and replaced it with a safe one?

:)

JamesClem1, Nov 30, 2018
  2. DRDNA Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Available for Download

Not sure about the games you listed but no probs with Dirt Rally and benching heavensward-bench here for me. I'm going to test 3DMark too in a few minutes.

DRDNA, Nov 30, 2018
  3. DRDNA Win User
    DRDNA, Nov 30, 2018
  4. KieX Win User

Windows 10 Update - Desktop not available error

Error: No work available to process

Hmm. Either it's put out errors and WCG is limiting the work units available, or the project list may not be set to supply other WU when one runs out. (if the problem lies here and not on your end)

On the options to your left, if you go into Results Status, select the computer from Device Name and then look through results see if either they were returned late, errors or any other kind of issue that would stop the servers supplying WU from that perspective.

If there are no errors then it's maybe down to your project list. So selecting Device Manager from the left menu and then clicking on the profile assigned to that computer and make sure that it's assigned to receive WU for other projects if they run out.

At least those steps will rule out problems from the WCG end.

Thema:

Windows 10 Update - Desktop not available error

1. Windows 10 Update - Desktop not available error - Similar Threads - Update Desktop available

2. Windows 10 notification "Updates are available"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 notification "Updates are available": [ATTACH] Does anyone knows how to remove this notification? My notifications are disabled and my Windows Update is regulated via "Edit group policy" and it is set to "2 - Notify for download and auto install". I do not want to disable Windows Update, I just want to...
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Error message "Location is not available"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Desktop Error message "Location is not available": Hello I have a PC with Windows 10 installed. I'm getting a flashing error message on my desktop and I am unable to navigate my computer: "Location is not available system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on a network, make sue you;re...
  4. Windows 10 Desktop not available after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Desktop not available after update: Hi. A couple days ago my computer updated (windows). It updated but when I after the update logged in to my computer, my desktop was completely dark with only the bin showing. I could not click anywhere and it said "Error: Desktop not available..." I tried creating a map...
  5. Windows 10: Error "Location is Not Available...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10: Error "Location is Not Available...: When I started up my computer and log in I receive the "Location is Not Available C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop" error, so I went online on one of my other devices and find an answer and I am unable to fix it because whenever I try to open a window outside...
  6. Windows 10 October Update Available

Windows 10 October Update Available: My PC is running on Windows Build 17763, but PC does not work as expected, sometime it takes time to process, Please tell me when Windows 10 October Update will available ?...
  7. Windows 10 "Updates are available" - Is there a fix?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 "Updates are available" - Is there a fix?: Once again this "Updates are available" popup comes up on my screen, locking me out of completing what I was doing and messing me up. I was right in the middle of renaming a file. This popup comes up and I have to click on it to get it to go away. But unfortunately, the...
  8. Windows 10 no update available

Windows 10 no update available: Anyone else still just have this? Imgur I tried to manually install windows 10 by downloading that "Media Creation Tool" but about 70% through windows 10 install, i black screened without my cursor, after about 20 min of that not changing i restarted my PC and i was prompted...
  9. New update available for Movies & TV app on Windows 10 Desktop

in Windows 10 News
    New update available for Movies & TV app on Windows 10 Desktop: A new release is available today for the Movies & TV app on Windows 10. This release (version 3.6.1271.0) includes the following updates: During playback, you can double-click or use the ESC key to toggle in and out of full-screen mode Extras that come with bundles won’t...
  10. "location is not available" Windows 10 Error

in Windows 10 Support
    "location is not available" Windows 10 Error: Hi, Can anyone advise on what's causing the following? It happens about once a week at the moment when I first boot up (from cold). Once it happens, I'm left without a desktop so have to shut down. When I reboot all my icon locations have been reset which is rather...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop not available error in laptop