Windows 10: Windows 10 update destroyed my settings and cost me 100 hours in lost data!

Discus and support Windows 10 update destroyed my settings and cost me 100 hours in lost data! in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I did the first update 6 weeks ago ( my computer is 3 months old) and I literally could not read the screen when it was over. (Granted my eyesight isnt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Matthe_ Martin, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Windows 10 update destroyed my settings and cost me 100 hours in lost data!

I did the first update 6 weeks ago ( my computer is 3 months old) and I literally could not read the screen when it was over. (Granted my eyesight isnt great but it was way off) I had to call tech suport over this to check things out. Well, not only did they "check things out" they changed my permissions so Im hamstrung when I want to do whatever it is that I want to do with what I OWN. For example, I wanted to allow my VLC to connect through my firewall and I had to change a slew of "permissions" to do what I want to do with MY STUFF!! The arrogance of this is beyond anything I have ever experianced, anywhere, and Ive been on a Macbook as my number 1 pc for 10 years. Not only did they screw up my entire look and setup they burned me for 300 gb, at least, of music Ive been loading constantly for weeks as well as other programs w thier data etc. I shut off my updates because they simply force it on us ginny pigs to do thier beta testing at the cost of weeks worth of work. This is odious in and of itself but the mother++%%er& who sabatoged my machine because they want to be my "company IT director" are worse, by far, than the callous ineptitude displayed, time and again, by improper release of destined to fail updates. I am going to put a Linix partition on this machine. I dont use any super complex programs that I must have Windows for and if there "big brother" complex doesent abate along with an effort to keep my business..F' em. They crossed every line.

:)

Matthe_ Martin, Sep 29, 2019
  2. akm2008 Win User

Windows update destroys several hours of work!

I stepped away from my pc for 5 minutes this afternoon and returned to find that Microsoft had taken over my computer for a windows update (I'm already on windows 10), So I was stuck for over an hour getting further & further behind on my deadlines.

This evening I tried to catch up, and found that the update had lost the autosave files for my work (in Serif Pageplus X9) destroying 6 hours of detailed design work. I'm now going to have to work through the night and will probably still miss my print deadline.

What idiot thought it was a good idea to force an update on people in the middle of the working day, and not even offer a decent warning? And is there anything I can do to stop Microsoft doing this to me again?

If this had cost me a contract or a job opportunity I would seriously be considering legal action against Microsoft. As it is, they have in one move destroyed every ounce of goodwill they gained from giving the windows 10 update free to users of versions
    7 & 8!

akm2008, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10

its already there. there is a hard set factory image from samsung. problem is it takes a long time to get that backup into the drive again and destroys the C drive data.

so looks like i wont be trying windows 10 anytime soon *Stick Out Tongue Windows 10 update destroyed my settings and cost me 100 hours in lost data! :p

de.das.dude, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 update destroyed my settings and cost me 100 hours in lost data!

Windows 10 Tweaks

Privacy tweaks...

• Turn Cortana Off. Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the notebook icon in the left sidebar and choose Settings. From there, you can turn off Cortana.
    • Search online and include web results. When you turn off Cortana, you’ll see this option appear. You can turn it off if you’d rather not get web search suggestions from the Start menu, which log your typing and send it back to Microsoft so you can get live-updating predictions, just like you do on Google.com or in Chrome and Firefox.
    • Getting to Know You. In Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, & Typing, you’ll find a feature called “Getting to Know You”. This is probably the most sweeping privacy setting on the system, and even after turning off Cortana, you’ll have to disable this setting. Just click the “Stop Getting to Know Me” button to turn it off.
    • Cloud Info. Turning off Getting to Know You removes info from your device, but you’ll have to remove it from the cloud separately. In that same window, click “Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your devices” to clear the Getting to Know You Data from your Microsoft account.

• If you head to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics, you’ll see two settings:
    • Feedback frequency: Windows will occasionally ask you for feedback so you can send Microsoft your thoughts on Windows 10. If you’d rather it not bug you with such things, you can change it to Never.
    • Diagnostic and usage data: This feature can send a lot of data back to Microsoft, including how often you use certain apps, which apps you use most often, and memory snapshots (which can inadvertently include parts of a document you’re working on if something crashes). You can change this to Full, Enhanced, or Basic. You can read more about what each of these to here.
    Microsoft doesn’t let you turn off diagnostics completely, except on Enterprise versions of Windows. The Basic setting, they say, is data that is “vital to the operation of Windows”, including Windows Update and malicious software protection.

some may be duplicated. I found this info on Lifehacker, if anyone wants the full article.

Ahhzz, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 update destroyed my settings and cost me 100 hours in lost data!

1. Windows 10 update destroyed my settings and cost me 100 hours in lost data! - Similar Threads - update destroyed settings

2. Windows 10 update costing my time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update costing my time: The update is taking much off my time. As of now it is running and its still on the installing stage. Its been 3 hours now and I know there is something wrong on this but I dont know what it is. Please help me. I need to complete this update and I dont want to wait longer. I...
  3. Windows 10 update costing my time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update costing my time: The update is taking much off my time. As of now it is running and its still on the installing stage. Its been 3 hours now and I know there is something wrong on this but I dont know what it is. Please help me. I need to complete this update and I dont want to wait longer. I...
  4. Windows 10 update costing my time

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 Update Nearly Destroyed My PC. Help Me.

Windows 10 Update Nearly Destroyed My PC. Help Me.: This is long. Sorry about that.Hello,First and foremost, here are my specs:HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xxTotal memory : 32 GBAMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics Here is the issue:On the night of 06/08/2021, my pc was running PERFECTLY FINE. I put it on sleep mode...
  6. Updates and lost data

Updates and lost data: Each month Microsoft does an update on my computer and each month all my data is lost. Why does this keep happening and how can I stop this happening each month? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updates-and-lost-data/9652240b-05c9-4d62-8e41-d3c1d0b3c51b
  7. Data Lost after change in Settings in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Data Lost after change in Settings in windows 10.: I was changing Language settings from windows 10 Settings. It asked me to Sign off to apply settings successfully, After sign off i restarted my PC and then I lost My data....
  8. Windows update cost me a job

Windows update cost me a job: I have a broken screen on my laptop. Microsoft forced the November update for Windows 10. Now I have no hdmi output and my laptop is useless. I have a coding interview via skype at 11am. This kind of stuff is why people hate Microsoft. You have cost me so much time, effort,...
  9. loosing a lot on data cost

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    loosing a lot on data cost: Hello everyone I'm loosing a lot of data minutes with this windows 10. I go through 50 gigs in a short space of time. I also lost my product key. I cant access windows Microsoft applications. Please help....
  10. Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?: Hello, I bought a new PC several months ago and decided to do the free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. No problem on that. Yesterday I got a Win 10 notification that some important updates were needed, so I clicked OK (or Submit) . The following day a lot of rather...