Windows 10: Windows 10 update fail: login to local account, then black screen for five minutes

Discus and support Windows 10 update fail: login to local account, then black screen for five minutes in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Both the admin and regular logins are local. A week ago when I last used this PC, everything was fine. Now I booted it and logged into the regular... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nobody-important, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Windows 10 update fail: login to local account, then black screen for five minutes

Both the admin and regular logins are local. A week ago when I last used this PC, everything was fine. Now I booted it and logged into the regular account, but the screen went completely dark, though I could see the cursor. I rebooted, but the same thing happened. I was able to press cntl-alt-delete, logoff, and shutdown.

I came back a few hours later and tried it again, only this time I pressed cntl-alt-delete, started Task Manager, and let it run for five minutes while I used another PC. And then the screen contents returned to normal.

I logged off, logged in, and just let it sit. After five minutes, the screen contents returned to normal.

I logged off and logged in as admin. The black screen was present for five minutes as with the other login.

I let the system run for thirty minutes and then decided to shut it down. The start menu showed that I could update and restart, or update and shutdown. I chose the former. I was able to login normally. But then I decided to do something else, so I once again tried to shut it down. The start menu showed the same two choices, update and restart, or update and shutdown. I chose the latter.

I came back a few hours later, rebooted, and logged into first the admin account and then the regular account. Things were were back to normal.

Either Microsoft released more defective updates and then fixed them, or the October update arrived early and occupied my PC for an hour. Windows Update has always used far more resources than it should, often bringing a PC to its knees, but it should never cause the screen to go black.

:)

nobody-important, Sep 22, 2018

2. Black Screen after Windows 10 login but only default account fails

Hi All,

I have fixed this issue on my computer with a simpler approach:

On login resulting in Black Screen,

• CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up a menu.
    • Select Task Manager
    • Select Startup Programs tab ( used to be contained in msconfig.exe )
    • Disable some non-Microsoft programs that are in this list ( a little educated guesses are required here ).
    • Restart
    Low and behold... My login works again!

Since my login was working for two weeks before the Windows 10 upgrade AND two other non-Administrator account logins were working OK on this same computer, I was pretty sure it was NOT a device driver issue.

It looks to me like a Windows Update push caused one of my startup programs to fail (still narrowing that down).

I politely suggest to MS that if a startup program fails (or is rejected for some reason), don't abort starting the rest of the startup list. This is what it looks like to me (a software developer for over 2 decades).

I also understand that this solution will not work for everyone, but before MS suggests re-installing device drivers maybe MS should suggest disabling startup programs
    first and if that doesn't work then suggest device drivers.

This is much less invasive then the MS suggestion.

Hope this helps others out there.

Steve

SteveHirsch_Moorpark, Sep 23, 2018
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Sep 23, 2018
  4. joelshort Win User

Windows 10 update fail: login to local account, then black screen for five minutes

Login screen presents both local and MS account sign in

I set up a new tablet with windows 10 and began with a Local account so I could choose my user name. Then I signed in with my MS account to sync settings.

When I start the tablet the login screen asks for my pin. I want to be able to automatically login without entering a pin or password. To do that I use netplwiz and uncheck the option to require a password for login. So far so good.

But when the tablet restarts I am presented with a login screen that now shows two accounts, my MS account and what appears to be a local account but with the same name. If I then reverse the process and enable the "require a password" option in netplwiz there is only one account shown on the login screen but then I have to use a pin or password.

How do I remove that second local account on the login screen and then login automatically? There is only one account listed in the user account settings page.

joelshort, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 update fail: login to local account, then black screen for five minutes

1. Windows 10 update fail: login to local account, then black screen for five minutes - Similar Threads - update fail login

2. Win 10 21H1 update black screen for 6 minutes after login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 21H1 update black screen for 6 minutes after login: After updating to Win 10 21H1 version, every time I turn on my system and connect, the screen goes black for about 6 minutes. It happened only after the system was updated to version 21H1....
  3. Win 10 21H1 update black screen for 6 minutes after login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 21H1 update black screen for 6 minutes after login: After updating to Win 10 21H1 version, every time I turn on my system and connect, the screen goes black for about 6 minutes. It happened only after the system was updated to version 21H1....
  4. Win 10 21H1 update black screen for 6 minutes after login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Black screen for ~20 minutes after login

Black screen for ~20 minutes after login: I have a virtual environment where everyone logs into they physical desktop and then connects to a dedicated virtual desktop via VMware. I've already taken this to VMware support, and they say it's not their problem. With certain users on certain VM's, after they enter their...
  6. Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates

Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates: I have the same problem as the below posting. I have tried a bunch of things to remedy this issue, but really nothing works. "Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates"...
  7. Black Screen for A Few Minutes After Login

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen for A Few Minutes After Login: First of all, thanks in advanced for your help. I've been having this issue for quite a while and it's still happening. Every time after I log in (password screen), the screen only displays black screen for a few minutes before the background and everything shows up. During...
  8. Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates

Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates: After the recent automatic updates that took place yesterday, every time I turn on the computer it takes about five minutes to boot up. The Windows logo shows up after the manufacturer screen, along with a few seconds of spinning dots. Then it goes to a black screen which...
  9. Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates

Five minute black screen on booting after recent updates: After the recent automatic updates that took place yesterday, every time I turn on the computer it takes about five minutes to boot up. The Windows logo shows up after the manufacturer screen, along with a few seconds of spinning dots. Then it goes to a black screen which...
  10. Two minutes of black screen before login

in Windows 10 Support
    Two minutes of black screen before login: Hi. When I boot into Windows 10, just before the login, my screen turns black for like two minutes. There doesn't seem to be any drive activity (I've got Windows installed on a SSD). Cursor appears like fifteen seconds before the login screen. This started happening like a...