Windows 10: Windows 10 update fails, tried everything, please help

Discus and support Windows 10 update fails, tried everything, please help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, running windows 10 home, version 10.0.14393, X-64 based. Its been having trouble for quite a while but since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mike B0623, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Windows 10 update fails, tried everything, please help

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook, running windows 10 home, version 10.0.14393, X-64 based. Its been having trouble for quite a while but since we have another laptop its been on hold to fix. ive only recently been trying to fix it.

Windows update fails over and over. some HP updates still go through, however, windows cumulative 1607 and windows 1903 both keep failing to install. Which makes the laptop take a good 20 minutes to boot up every time it tries and fails to install the updates again. Which is pretty much every time i shut it down. There also seems to be an issue with the USB. It will make the tone when you insert it, but sometimes wont show up as a drive in the explorer. I have tried just about everything i can find on the internet. I dont have the install disk since the system came installed already

I have run sfc, no issues found

Run DISM.../scannhealth, no issues found

Run DISM.../restorehealth, Completed successfully

Tried doing a full reset of the laptop, it says it cant because there are missing files

Tried recovery but it says it cant find recovery enviroment, Even though there is a recovery partition built in.

Downloaded windows 10 x-64 ISO:

tried to "restore this PC" and it goes through the whole process but ends by giving me a pop up stating only that "windows install failed"

tried to burn the ISO onto a DVD, completed fine but received an error stating the ISO cannot mount

I've tried shutting down all services and forcing an update, still failed

Ive uninstalled any third party apps, no go

tried updating drivers, still failed

The only thing i have not tried yet is creating a recovery disk from my working laptop and attempting to recover the broken one that way. I DID create a recovery drive on a USB from my good working laptop. But i didnt want to try it yet because im not sure if that would cause any issue.

The working laptop is a Dell, G7 7588, running windows 10 pro, version 10.0.18363, X-64 based.

There are some differences in hardware, the dell is not set up with a cd/dvd, and the broken HP does have one.

So, a couple of questions:

1 Can anyone tell me if ive missed a step to try to get the update working properly?

2 Can i use the recovery disk that i made from my working Dell? If so, are there any issues i should watch for?

Please help!

:)

Mike B0623, Apr 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Apr 17, 2020
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Apr 17, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 update fails, tried everything, please help

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 17, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 update fails, tried everything, please help

1. Windows 10 update fails, tried everything, please help - Similar Threads - update fails tried

2. Laptop is damaged, have tried everything, please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop is damaged, have tried everything, please help: Hello all,I've got an HP Envy x360.A while back I sent my computer to HP to fix a CPU overheating issue and, after hearing that they wipe your computer, saved and restored my disk using 3rd-party software. Somewhere along the line I must have screwed up while using that...
  3. Winodws will not update and I've tried everything, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Winodws will not update and I've tried everything, please help: Hello, I am constantly getting Blue Screened, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and multiple other blue screen errors.Ive watched so many YouTube videos like the 3 Solutions or 7 Solutions to fix not updating ect, NONE OF THEM WORK.The updates that will not install are the following:-...
  4. Winodws will not update and I've tried everything, please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Winodws will not update and I've tried everything, please help: Hello, I am constantly getting Blue Screened, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and multiple other blue screen errors.Ive watched so many YouTube videos like the 3 Solutions or 7 Solutions to fix not updating ect, NONE OF THEM WORK.The updates that will not install are the following:-...
  5. Winodws will not update and I've tried everything, please help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Can't Install Windows 10 Updates - Tried Everything - Please Help!

Can't Install Windows 10 Updates - Tried Everything - Please Help!: Due to endless problems with Windows 10, I did a fresh install of it several weeks ago. It has wasted over 200 hours of my time since then having to reinstall and reconfigure everything again on my computer. Since then, I am unable to update Windows. The version of Windows...
  7. Please help!!! Tried almost everything.. inverted typing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help!!! Tried almost everything.. inverted typing: Anything i type after i log on to my computer is inverted and the space bar will move to the left after every key input... also, on any window that is able to scroll up and down, it automatically scrolls up all the time and is stuck there. Tried unplugging everything and...
  8. BSOD Errors I've tried everything please help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Errors I've tried everything please help: So this morning I awoke started my computer, cat ripped out power cord, so I plugged it back in and restarted. Crashed within an hour after that However after over 18 hours of crashes, BSOD, and black screens I'm huffed, I've done the sfc check, system restores/ system reset,...
  9. Tried EVERYTHING - can't delete file. PLEASE HELP!

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried EVERYTHING - can't delete file. PLEASE HELP!: I've tried instruction after instruction and cannot delete a file. It's from a programme called Solidworks, and is left in the programme file called 3ds Light.otf. I've tried deleting in Safe mode Using deleting/unlocking utlities File Assassin and Unlocker Disabled...
  10. Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.

Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.: Hello, I would like to know if i can cancel my reservation from the Get Windows 10 app so that i don't get the prompt every now and then and then upgrade from a bootable media later on? I've tried all possible solution out there to upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10 but...