Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Failure: Boot Screen Pops Up

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Failure: Boot Screen Pops Up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an ASUS Zenbook Pro from 2017. Over the course of the last year, I have repeatedly tried - and failed - to update Windows 10 when they were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by meghead_egghead, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Update Failure: Boot Screen Pops Up

I have an ASUS Zenbook Pro from 2017. Over the course of the last year, I have repeatedly tried - and failed - to update Windows 10 when they were released.

Every. Single. Time. Without fail, my laptop will restart and go to the "updating screen" -- the brightly colored one with the Windows logo and such. Before it is completely done, however, it will go black, go back to the ASUS loading screen, and then to the boot manager screen with this displayed:

Windows Boot Manager​

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:​

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.​

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."​

3. Click "Repair your computer."​

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.​

Info: An unexpected error has occurred.​

I've gone into the boot screen where you can make adjustments to what happens from there, exited out after kind of checking things out, and my computer will just revert to pre-update and continue to work as if nothing had ever happened. The thing is, my apps have stopped working together well because they are all made for the newest version of Windows 10 and aren't backward compatible, so I do actually need to update at this time.​

I do not have a disc drive, so an installation disc isn't an option there, though maybe there is another option available?​

I also did find a similar kind of question from back in January, but it was blue screen, not boot manager screen, not really sure if there is a difference:​

It is, however, the same error code. Should I pursue this route first?​

Please and thank you.​

:)

meghead_egghead, Dec 3, 2020

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Dec 3, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 Update Failure: Boot Screen Pops Up

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Update Failure: Boot Screen Pops Up

1. Windows 10 Update Failure: Boot Screen Pops Up - Similar Threads - Update Failure Boot

2. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  3. PC boot up failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC boot up failure: Actually i was resetting my windows 10 pro through the Reset this PC in recovery setting and as my PC was getting a reset, suddenly a power outage took place. Hoping that nothing would have got wrong i started my PC but dang... My PC now just keep on restarting it continously...
  4. pop up on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    pop up on screen: All of a sudden I'm getting a pop up on my screen and not sure why....."The Content is not longer available".....The content you requested cannot bedisplayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission...
  5. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Good morning, its been a while since I had a problem, helped by the forum volunteers. Today, our HP Envy suddenly froze and would not respond to anything. I performed an emergency power off, waited 30 seconds and powered on. Nothing although the monitor flickered briefly. I...
  6. Windows Pop up Screen

Windows Pop up Screen: I found it strange that when I turned on my laptop a Windows pop up screen appeared. I had to answer a few prompts. If I wanted this added or that added. It was like those steps I went thru when I 1st bought my laptop setting it up....
  7. Boot up failure

Boot up failure: Hi, My laptop won't boot up, I did an update yesterday, it got interrupted when updating as the battery died, after that I accidently selected to undo the update, and that's when it started going funny. My sister turned it off after a few hours, and it's still continuing...
  8. Updates cause boot-up failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates cause boot-up failure: Last night as I shutdown my computer the blue updates screen appeared, the one that says "Installing updates, 10%, 20%, ...Do not shut off your computer". That was strange since I always thought I was able to choose when to update. This morning my computer would not boot up....
  9. the pop up of the windows 10 screen

the pop up of the windows 10 screen: When using the computer for any word, excel, email the mouse pointer goes to the 4 little squares at the bottom LHS then the windows 10 screen come up. I have to click that screen off, relocate the mouse to the end of the word or work I was doing. Please advise what I have...
  10. After the Windows 10 April 2018 update pop up screens automatically keep popping up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After the Windows 10 April 2018 update pop up screens automatically keep popping up: I have screens that keep popping up after the April 2018 update. Especially my start up screen. I pops up about every 4 seconds. No matter I am in. Excel, email, typing this message etc. How can I get this to stop?...