Windows 10: Windows 10 Update Failures Form of Pattern of Software Failure- Will there be a future OS?

Discus and support Windows 10 Update Failures Form of Pattern of Software Failure- Will there be a future OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I work as an independent IT ... and one of the most frequent problems I run into are Win10 updates/upgrades that bring a system to its knees. They are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CrescentBeachWorks, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Update Failures Form of Pattern of Software Failure- Will there be a future OS?

I work as an independent IT ... and one of the most frequent problems I run into are Win10 updates/upgrades that bring a system to its knees. They are NOT automatic. Frequently, some aspect on a multiple reboot process FAILS. When updates have stacked up, OR a brand new Windows system is being used for the first time, numerous updates can 1. slow systems down to a buggy crawl and 2. FAIL to automatically update.

I've been noticing a worsening trend over the last year to year and a half. Numerous sites and boards report increasing levels of problems and frustration.

When most of my clients are using simple tools like google apps, when most of my clients browse or do emails or consume content ... I cannot recommend the misery of Windows 10. Because? Updates. Because Linux is better. Apple is better. And Chrome is DEFINITELY better. I've been a heavy user of Windows and would feel the loss of the OS a lot more than most people due to my usage. But I'm about ready to move on over to Apple.

Windows 10 is broken. It's update experience is horrific. It's slow, even on moderately fast systems. Is there a windows 11 on the horizon? Something truly not based on the kludgework endemic in Windows 10?

Thanks for some sort of response

:)

CrescentBeachWorks, Jan 25, 2019
  2. Mike-Th Win User

Windows Update failure with error 0x80070002

Thanks Jessen,

I have tried all the steps suggested to no avail as I have been browsing all similar failures and tried the suggested solutions. The Windows Update service appears to work ok as all other updates are ok.

It may help if I someone could explain the meaning of the failure message.

When I tried the USB method it failed in a similar way suggesting that there was something wrong with the Windows Product Key. It may help that at sometime in the past the system was restored after a failure. On some forums I have seen comments that if the
    key is not perfect then the upgrade will not work.

Mike

Mike-Th, Jan 25, 2019
  3. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Jan 25, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Update Failures Form of Pattern of Software Failure- Will there be a future OS?

Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

No, the license only applies to the Windows 8 OEM copy the original owner purchased with laptop, it doesn't magically transform into Windows 8.1 Retail one.

OK, so here's the commonly recommended steps that should help you with your problem.

Before you begin, I would recommend you to download both of these files and save them on your USB drive in order to use it later as the only source of third-party packages:
    1. The first step would be to recover the original Windows installation using your hard drive partition (the thing that you've done before, I believe). Follow the steps described here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03544793#N258) and see if you missed anything. By the end of this operation, make so that your HP product is not connected to any sort of network.

2. Configure your HP device to boot in "clean" mode as described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). Restart once.

3. Run the first file you've downloaded (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67259.exe) from your just-recovered Windows copy and follow the steps required.

4. Run the AMD package (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe). Choose the "Advanced" installation option in order to be able to opt-out the "AMD/Raprt App" and "HydraVision" packages.

5. Establish an Internet connection. Run "Windows Store" tile from your Start screen, and select "Windows 8.1" package.

6. Once you're done with your migration from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you can install all the critical updates offered by Windows Update, which would be driver software, then Windows 8.1 Update package (KB2919442 > KB2919355 > KB2932046 > KB2959977 > KB2937592 > KB2938439 > KB2934018), "August" Update (KB2993651 > KB2975719 > KB2993100 > KB2979582 > KB2990532 > KB2995004) and .NET Framework 4.5.2 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642).

Constantine Yevseyev, Jan 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Update Failures Form of Pattern of Software Failure- Will there be a future OS?

1. Windows 10 Update Failures Form of Pattern of Software Failure- Will there be a future OS? - Similar Threads - Update Failures Form

2. Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure - UPDATE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure - UPDATE: After almost 2 hours, the blue screen cleared and I was able to login to my laptop.However, the Windows 10 Update DOES NOT WORK - I have no idea what the Update Troubleshooter did or didn’t do to my system in the past 2 hours.I still CANNOT Update Windows 10, the latest...
  3. Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure

Windows 10 Update failure + Update Troubleshooter failure: Windows 10 Update failure - now all I have are Update Error 0x800f0831 AND now after running the Update Troubleshooter as recommended by Microsoft a blue screen with the message “Getting Windows ready Don’t turn off you computer” for the last 60+ minutes on a frozen laptop.I...
  4. Windows 10 OS Failure/BOOTMGR

Windows 10 OS Failure/BOOTMGR: Alright so this has taken me around the block again and again, im pretty sure i deleted the BOOTMANGER driveor file, not sure and sense have tried every troubleshooting method I could find to no avail. I dont really have anything on my computer worth saving, as in i only have...
  5. Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure

Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure: For about 1.5 years now on and off, I've been trying to fix this Windows 10 OS, to work and boot with my PC. I tried again today and it showed the same message as it always does. Many people have told me to just put it in another computer and un-corrupt it, but every time I...
  6. Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure

Windows 10 OS USB Drive Failure: Hi, a while ago about 10-11 ish months I ordered a Windows 10 USB OEM from the Microsoft online store. I tried to put it into my pc keep in kind this was still 10-11 months ago and it wouldn't let me in. I don't 100% remember what It said but I just decided to put it down and...
  7. Windows 10 Update Failure

Windows 10 Update Failure: I have three machines running Windows 10. The latest security update processed fine on two. The third has been stuck on the "Restarting" screen for over twelve hours. Tried CTRL-ALT-DEL and it displayed 0% Complete, ran up to 30% Complete, then returned to "Restarting"...
  8. Windows 10 Update failure

Windows 10 Update failure: Windows 10 Update fails with code 0x80240fff tried troubleshooter and that didn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-failure/325c4ead-edd2-4e0f-8ebc-e39d205c3b65
  9. Windows 10 Update failure

Windows 10 Update failure: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 - Error 0x800f0986 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-failure/04bc6825-67bc-47d5-ab15-25de4b808f33
  10. Windows 10 Update failure

Windows 10 Update failure: [ATTACH] I have now made four attempts to install this update - KB4495666. In each case the result has been a black screen with the whirling 'loading'(?) circle. The last time this happened I left it overnight because I thought maybe I hadn't given it enough time Each...